What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many great meals have been eaten during my absence. September is full of birthdays for me, mine included, so I will spam you guys with posts trying to catch up.

Friends & I have visited Red Lantern, owned & operated by Luke Nguyen an Aussie chef with a Vietnamese background whose food is next level. A meal I will remember forever I think. The service perfect.

I've made up some collages so I'm not inserting too many images.

View attachment 10555 View attachment 10556 View attachment 10557 View attachment 10558

Never heard of him but your post has my full attention definitely going to find out more about his :thumbsup:

That is a lot of broccoli! How do you cook it - do you steam it?
Usually. This time I brought a few quarts of water to a boil, dumped them in, returned the water to boil, and cooked just a couple of minutes. I wanted to use up all the broccoli so I could buy more broccoli while it was still on sale. I probably cooked three quarts last night. On occasion (like when I'm not cooking THAT much) I'll boil-and-blanch the broccoli, then stir fry it in garlic and oil. Not often, since that usually messes up the top of the stove!

Saturday was a busy day, so we had a quick supper. Mushroom and mozzarella cheese omelet, a bit of ham steak, toast, and applesauce made from two tired apples that had been in the fruit drawer since before vacation.

20170924_000412.jpg

That isn't pepper on top of the cheese, it's Hawaiian Black Lava sea salt. A present from me to me when I placed my most recent order with The Spice House. :whistling:

Belated happy birthday, Frizz! That was quite a feast you had for dinner.

Thanks Lynne.

Lots of courses but not too much food. Each of those plates was shared between 4 people except dessert. The dessert platters were shared between 2.

Even familiar dishes such as satay chicken skewers & rice paper rolls were prepared in such a way that they were just exquisite.

I'm just going to say 'Wow!'.

I too have been watching Luke Nguyen cooking programmes. Some of the best TV cooking series I have seen. I would love to eat at his restaurant. I am jealous!

He's so authentically passionate, very easy to watch.

I'm not big on celebrity chef restaurant experiences. I have been a massive fan of Jamie Oliver since he first started as The Naked Chef but I have never visited his Sydney restaurant as the man isn't in the kitchen.

Luke wasn't either on the night we visited - that I know of, we were keeping an eye out - but he is there a lot & the team in the kitchen are all trained by him & work with him one on one, also his wife & I think his mother both work in there.

Hubby grilled what just might be our last burgers of the season. I made potato salad. I usually make coleslaw, too, but had no cabbage. Instead, I made individual relish dishes - the ultra-thick Caesar salad dressing is in the bottom of the bowl. Tin Roof sundaes* much later for a dessert. After all it IS (was) Sunday. :wink:

20170924_211742.jpg
20170924_211646.jpg

* If you don't know, a Tin Roof Sundae is vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, Spanish peanuts (I used dry roasted because that's what I had), whipped cream, and a maraschino cherry. Truly an old-fashioned - and infrequent - treat.

Hubby grilled what just might be our last burgers of the season. I made potato salad. I usually make coleslaw, too, but had no cabbage. Instead, I made individual relish dishes - the ultra-thick Caesar salad dressing is in the bottom of the bowl. Tin Roof sundaes* much later for a dessert. After all it IS (was) Sunday. :wink:

View attachment 10576 View attachment 10577

* If you don't know, a Tin Roof Sundae is vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, Spanish peanuts (I used dry roasted because that's what I had), whipped cream, and a maraschino cherry. Truly an old-fashioned - and infrequent - treat.

Delicious!

Yum Lynne, especially the sundae.

I note you have cauliflower. It makes a decent cabbage replacement in coleslaw if you shred it finely.

I make a version that has siracha & mayo that we eat with Asian style food that we love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom