What did you cook/eat today (September 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lamb, fava beans, potatoes, .......and a few stray green beans I found in the crisper...eat 'em up!
NkOxSdx.jpg

We went out for lunch today and I had caesar salad, very tasty apart from the avocado :yuck:that was pushed to the side of the plate, slimey and pointless, doesn't belong on any plate.
If it was slimy, it sounds like the restaurant foisted upon you a too ripe avocado. Shame on them! If they had an abundance of them, they might have considered offering an appetizer of guac. :wink:

If it was slimy, it sounds like the restaurant foisted upon you a too ripe avocado. Shame on them! If they had an abundance of them, they might have considered offering an appetizer of guac. :wink:

I have tried avacado many times, different meals, different places but it is always slimey and tasteless. Sorry to all avacado fans out there but I honestly don't see the point.

I had lunch then spent the afternoon in the snooker drinking beer so I didn't really feel like cooking anything afterwards.

I reheated a jacket potato and ate it 1950's bonfire night style with a little salt.

jacket alone s.jpg

This evening we are going into town to a deli for a wine tasting evening-Spanish and Portugese wines and food :thumbsup: not much of a drinker but should be fun hic*

IMG_0897.JPG

I wasn't going to post this Banh Mi, but it turned out to be better looking than I expected. The meat is homemade sausage seasoned with Chinese Five Spice, the sauce is complex even by my standards (olive oil mayo, sesame oil, lime juice, ma la sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, gochujang, and sriracha).

But, I want to talk about the kimchi. I sometimes find myself getting one ingredient, and having it lead me to a complete meal. I saw a daikon radish minding its own business in the market, so I picked it up. Daikon radish always leads to kimchi. This time, since I had extra ingredients from the Tom Yam, I added kafir lime leaves and shredded galangal root. The leaves are hard to detect (unless you accidentally chew one), but the galangal root stands up well to the other spicy things (the radish, ginger, and Calabrian chili peppers that I used in place of crushed red pepper).

Once I made the kimchi, it was only a matter of time before I made bahn mi. Oh, and yeah: that's a hot dog bun.

@The Late Night Gourmet, I am confused about kimchi. I have been watching several TV shows about Korean cooking where kimchi features large. My understanding is that kimchi = fermented. Usually its cabbage but it can be other veg. The cabbage is salted and left overnight (or longer). That is stage 1 of the fermentation. Then the salt is rinsed off and chilli and other spices added between the cabbage leaves. Then it gets packed in a box and left to ferment for x number of days.

So how did you make kimchi so quickly?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom