What did you cook or eat today (August 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it was suddenly a sunny day, the festival was far more crowded than usual on friday. So I just grabbed what I could get food wise, and not the viking food I planned. Hopefully that will be on sunday when it's worse weather!
20230804_105654.jpg

Apple & cinnamon donut
20230804_124959.jpg

Tuna pizza
20230804_062116.jpg

Homemade strawberry cream ' tiramisu ' after a good bowl of leftover pasta.

I need to pick up some fresh corn while it is still good. I like to cook it on the grill, but I have to do it late in the evening, or it is too hot outside.

CD

I need to pick up some fresh corn while it is still good. I like to cook it on the grill, but I have to do it late in the evening, or it is too hot outside.

CD
That corn is local, but I got it from Kroger. I was rather surprised at how good it was.

I think I’ve told this before, but you can drive all around here and see people with tables set up in parking lots, selling “Farm Fresh Corn!”

We have a couple in town, and it’s always at a premium, because it’s advertised as “local” and “farm-to-table,” all that jazz.

Well…I’ve seen one of those guys buying corn in bulk from the Kroger in town! :laugh:

Went out to dinner to celebrate my MIL's 80th birthday. Dinner reservations were at 6 and it's about 10 minutes away. Not really sure why they felt the need to pick us up at 5:30. I mentioned to them before they came to pick us up that we were going to be way early for our reservation but they didn't say they would pick us up at 5:45 instead, so I just left it alone.

I am not sure FIL should be driving anymore but I know better than to offer to drive, he always says no so it's futile. When we pulled into the parking lot there was a car coming and he was on the left side of the driveway. The car coming wasn't stopping and FIL wasn't moving over, so I said, "Watch out" and he swerved over to the right side. We pulled up into a parking space and MIL said, "Oh wow, we are 18 minutes early". LOL. Went inside and there was only 1 other table seated in the dining room so it wasn't an issue. Not even sure why we needed a reservation, this place is new and sort of hidden away, and they don't advertise, so...

It was pretty good. MIL and hubby had the grilled grouper tacos. I had shrimp fettucine Alfredo with sauteed Brussels sprouts. The sauce was a tad thick and heavy, but I will probably get 4 meals out of it by adding some fresh spinach and other vegetables to it to lighten it up a little. FIL had an overpriced steak--the 12 oz ribeye (not bone in) for $38. He said it was just okay. I have a 1 lb ribeye (bone in) in my freezer that is certified black Angus I only paid about $8 for. Glad I didn't get the steak tonight at dinner!

After dinner MIL and FIL came inside after dropping us off to get her birthday present. I had taken out some spinach to make a pasta salad for tomorrow (youngest stepdaughter and fiance are having a cookout at their house for grandma's birthday) and was washing it. She looked at me and said, "You didn't finish your dinner, are you hungry again already?" I explained to her that I was making the pasta salad. She said, "You put spinach in your pasta salad?" I told her I had never made pasta salad before because I don't like it so I was making a version I am pretty certain I will like. She asked what I was going to put in it, and I named off spinach, kalamata olives, feta cheese, shallot, mozzarella, garlic, and chopped basil. She looked at me and said, "You aren't putting pasta in it?" I said yes, I was putting pasta in it, and she said, "Well you didn't say you were putting pasta in it and you said you don't like pasta salad." I said yeah, but I wouldn't call it "pasta salad" if it didn't have pasta in it, I would just call it "salad", and I am going to make a version of pasta salad that I will like. She just looked at me blankly.

While they were sitting there they were having a conversation about stuff they had already talked about but had forgotten that the other one had said. There was lots of "I already told you that, remember?" I know I will be there one day but hopefully I can keep my wits about me a little longer.

I named off spinach, kalamata olives, feta cheese, shallot, mozzarella, garlic, and chopped basil.
I like my pasta salad quite well. I added some fresh garden tomatoes and parmesan cheese and of course finished it with a balsamic and olive oil vinaigrette with salt and pepper to taste (and a touch of dried oregano). I will give it a taste tomorrow to see if it needs anything else, I am really still too full from dinner to make a final judgement call, plus after it sits overnight the flavors will have had more time to meld. I made a potato salad earlier today for a backup just in case my Greekish-Italianish pasta salad is too "different" for some palates tomorrow.

My husband tasted my pasta salad a bit ago and said it was wonderful and very unique. I think it's basically just a Mediterranean salad with pasta added to it, quite frankly. I ended up adding a few more chopped tomatoes (from our garden), fresh diced basil, sliced olives (green, it already has kalamata olives in it) and shredded parm with a drizzle of olive oil and some more salt and pepper. I hope MIL likes it, since it's her special day (well yesterday was her actual birthday but today's the party).

Oh last night at dinner with the in-laws we were talking about the party and MIL said, "Oh it's too bad Alexis (her oldest granddaughter and my stepdaughter), Jeremy, and the babies can't come," and hubby said, "What do you mean? They'll be there." I jabbed him sharply with my elbow and said, "Oh, Alexis didn't tell you honey? They forgot they had made plans already with one of Jeremy's relatives." He said, "Oops, guess I blew that one, huh?" I hit him again but it was too late, but she was smiling so it's all good. But it was supposed to be a surprise!

I hit him again but it was too late, but she was smiling so it's all good. But it was supposed to be a surprise!
MrsT’s sister is coming in for MrsT’s birthday at the end of the month, and she’s already conspired with their other sister to meet up at a daughter’s/niece’s house midway between us and the older sister. This is the visit that spawned the Houseguests topic.

I’ve nearly spilled it about 17 times now. She’s a healthy-ish eater, and I’ll make something and start to say, “I’ll bet Lou…vers would look good in here,” or something complete stupid like that, catching myself before finishing with “…isa would really like this.”

It happens multiple times a day. I was getting pizzy about the vacuum cleaner delay, and when she asked me why, I said, “I’ve got to get the bedroom cleaned up so when Lou…lewd! Didn’t you think what Jan said the other day was lewd?!”

“What’s that got to do with the vacuum cleaner?”

“Nothing. What’re you talking about?”

“You were complaining about the vacuum cleaner being late, and I asked why, and then you mentioned Jan.”

“No I didn’t. What do you want to watch on TV tonight?”

Smooooov 😏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom