What did you cook or eat today (August 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tuna burger, broccoli and fries
Tonijnburger frites broccoli.jpg

Went out to dinner to celebrate my MIL's 80th birthday. Dinner reservations were at 6 and it's about 10 minutes away. Not really sure why they felt the need to pick us up at 5:30. I mentioned to them before they came to pick us up that we were going to be way early for our reservation but they didn't say they would pick us up at 5:45 instead, so I just left it alone.

I am not sure FIL should be driving anymore but I know better than to offer to drive, he always says no so it's futile. When we pulled into the parking lot there was a car coming and he was on the left side of the driveway. The car coming wasn't stopping and FIL wasn't moving over, so I said, "Watch out" and he swerved over to the right side. We pulled up into a parking space and MIL said, "Oh wow, we are 18 minutes early". LOL. Went inside and there was only 1 other table seated in the dining room so it wasn't an issue. Not even sure why we needed a reservation, this place is new and sort of hidden away, and they don't advertise, so...

It was pretty good. MIL and hubby had the grilled grouper tacos. I had shrimp fettucine Alfredo with sauteed Brussels sprouts. The sauce was a tad thick and heavy, but I will probably get 4 meals out of it by adding some fresh spinach and other vegetables to it to lighten it up a little. FIL had an overpriced steak--the 12 oz ribeye (not bone in) for $38. He said it was just okay. I have a 1 lb ribeye (bone in) in my freezer that is certified black Angus I only paid about $8 for. Glad I didn't get the steak tonight at dinner!

After dinner MIL and FIL came inside after dropping us off to get her birthday present. I had taken out some spinach to make a pasta salad for tomorrow (youngest stepdaughter and fiance are having a cookout at their house for grandma's birthday) and was washing it. She looked at me and said, "You didn't finish your dinner, are you hungry again already?" I explained to her that I was making the pasta salad. She said, "You put spinach in your pasta salad?" I told her I had never made pasta salad before because I don't like it so I was making a version I am pretty certain I will like. She asked what I was going to put in it, and I named off spinach, kalamata olives, feta cheese, shallot, mozzarella, garlic, and chopped basil. She looked at me and said, "You aren't putting pasta in it?" I said yes, I was putting pasta in it, and she said, "Well you didn't say you were putting pasta in it and you said you don't like pasta salad." I said yeah, but I wouldn't call it "pasta salad" if it didn't have pasta in it, I would just call it "salad", and I am going to make a version of pasta salad that I will like. She just looked at me blankly.

While they were sitting there they were having a conversation about stuff they had already talked about but had forgotten that the other one had said. There was lots of "I already told you that, remember?" I know I will be there one day but hopefully I can keep my wits about me a little longer.

One of my wifes workmates used to ring my wife. She would forget how to drive home she would say I'm here (street name) my wife would direct her from there. Her dementia went quick. Dead within 6 years.
So sad to witness :(

Russ

Ordinary dinner here tonight (sunday) garlic bread then lamb chop casserole. Prolly ice cream.

I'm trying another entree to add to the selection. First go at curry puffs. I made the filling 2 days ago, making light pastry and testing on my kids later.

Russ

Breakfast was a fry up: eggs, sausage, black beans, fried cheese.
Lunch was rigatoni with broccoli, anchovies, garlic, fresh chiles and lime juice.

I could easily eat black beans with breakfast, but I just can't eat Hienz baked beans with breakfast, or any other baked beans, actually.

CD

View attachment 103207View attachment 103208

A bit of a cobbled up meal - I had some of the eggplant escabeche I’d made for the challenge, MrsT had a quick bruschetta, and then I grilled out a couple of bratwurst-and-cheddar patties, eaten with sweet, grainy German mustard.

At the time you posted these patio dining pictures, it is 104F/40C on my patio.

CD

At the time you posted these patio dining pictures, it is 104F/40C on my patio.

CD
It was pretty nice out back this afternoon, about 85F, but overcast a bit, didn’t need the umbrellas.

MrsT was complaining yesterday that we’ve yet to use the deck this summer, so expect more of that.

DD#1 and I had Chinese for late lunch. We shared chicken and cashews, pork fried rice, sweet and sour chicken. So dinner was some Trader Joe's power greens sautéed in butter and my AP house blend seasoning.

tj_power_greens-jpg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom