What did you cook or eat today (January 2024)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barber Foods chicken Kiev with homemade rice pilaf. I reviewed on the convenience food thread. They were decent and we'd eat again.

20240130_182146.jpg

Salmon with lemon-caper sauce (not pictured) on a bed of couscous with spinach and tomatoes. I liked this one, but husband wasn’t crazy about it (at least partially because I overcooked the salmon).
View attachment 109662
Salmon can be very sneaky. I've been cooking it for years and it still gives me surprises. It goes from still raw to overcooked with in like 2-3 minutes. That looks so good though.

Great recipe link thanks.
Did yours turn out like the one pictured in the link, all crispy on the outside and rare in the centre?

Yes absolutely, and it really did only take 5 minutes to grill it. :)

One thing I'd do next time is make less of the marinade (maybe half?). I had 700g of salmon cut into 5 pieces and there was way too much liquid left over once I'd finished marinating them.

Yes absolutely, and it really did only take 5 minutes to grill it. :)

One thing I'd do next time is make less of the marinade (maybe half?). I had 700g of salmon cut into 5 pieces and there was way too much liquid left over once I'd finished marinating them.

The ingredients are ordered! My mouth is watering 😂

Do you think white miso is easier for someone who doesn’t like miso? Mr SSOAP isn’t a fan 😑

Do you think white miso is easier for someone who doesn’t like miso? Mr SSOAP isn’t a fan 😑
Clearspring do a white miso in the UK. Waitrose used to sell it in the international isle. It isn't as strong as many. If you use half or even quarter the quantity you might be able to introduce it slowly, or do 2 sauces at different strengths.

Clearspring do a white miso in the UK. Waitrose used to sell it in the international isle. It isn't as strong as many. If you use half or even quarter the quantity you might be able to introduce it slowly, or do 2 sauces at different strengths.
That is the one I have in the cupboard waiting to be tried so fingers crossed 🤞
A half dose is a good idea.

Not really an expert in miso pastes but I used white and it was fine - not an overpowering miso flavour in the end result at all and as SatNav says, you can always use less. The flavour profile of the marinade is on the sweetish side and the miso gives it body with umami notes (did I sound like Jancis Robinson there?). I'll definitely be making it again due to its 'make ahead' nature and quick finishing - not to mention it tastes great.

Not really an expert in miso pastes but I used white and it was fine - not an overpowering miso flavour in the end result at all and as SatNav says, you can always use less. The flavour profile of the marinade is on the sweetish side and the miso gives it body with umami notes (did I sound like Jancis Robinson there?). I'll definitely be making it again due to its 'make ahead' nature and quick finishing - not to mention it tastes great.
I don’t eat fish that often (she says eyeing the scallops in the fridge 😆) but that looks so worth it.
I might mix up the marinade with a 1/4 of white miso, taste it and increase from there 👍

Couldn’t find any individual fillets thick enough or over a measly 120grams! So ordered a single piece of 500grams that I’ll cut in two.

That is the one I have in the cupboard waiting to be tried so fingers crossed 🤞
A half dose is a good idea.
Just remember that it continues to mature in those packets and will darken in colour and get stronger with time.

(I've about 10 jars/containers of different miso in the fridge and have also made my own which is still aging). That reminds me, I need to set another lot going.

Just remember that it continues to mature in those packets and will darken in colour and get stronger with time.

(I've about 10 jars/containers of different miso in the fridge and have also made my own which is still aging). That reminds me, I need to set another lot going.
I have a suspicion it will end up being a new one as the one I thought I had has gone walkies!

Had the scallops I’d been hankering after. I was a little impatient on the searing but not to the extent it affected the flavour much. Old Bay Seasoning was recommended in the thing I was reading, I tried it on them, it doesn't appeal to me and as I didn’t like it last time I used it, it’s going in the bin.
Fortunately the salad had a reduced balsamic vinegar and honey dressing which was lovely and I used the spare to sprinkle on the scallops.

IMG_3467.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom