What did you cook or eat today (June 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, I made a vegematarian yakisoba noodle stir fry and a side of shrimp in garlicy oyster sauce. Here's a pic of the stir fry noodles:

View attachment 16638

Then, for a late snack, a couple of Chicago dogs (a hot dog on a poppy seed bun, tomato, pickle relish, onions, pickled peppers, and a dill spear):

View attachment 16641

Man, I'd love a Chicago beef or Baltimore pit beef sandwich. I just told Karen to add Muffuletta to our menu list for this coming week! @The Late Night Gourmet, that will add another NOLA meal from the Italian influence!:okay:

Last night was blanched calamari over a chopped veggie and mixed baby green salad.

0607182348a_HDR.jpg

Grilled pizzas again using the no knead dough.

Guanciale and fennel with fresh mozzarella

2018-06-08 19.41.02.jpg

Cantaloupe chutney and prosciutto with fresh mozzarella, fontina and a mild blue cheese with a walnut garnish
2018-06-08 19.40.40.jpg

No pics but we also had a pepperoni and a Margherita.

Last edited:
I have 2 big pots on the go.

One of the makings of tomato pasta sauce. I make in bulk every 4-6 weeks, bottle hot & store in the fridge. It’s full of veggies & blended.

My kids will thin it with instant beef stock & eat it with toast as soup. I use it as the base of loads of things so it makes my life much easier.

The other pot is caponata. My daughter eats this almost daily & it’s a much healthier option that bread or potatoes for snacks.

Last night was blanched calamari over a chopped veggie and mixed baby green salad.

View attachment 16650

I've never blanched calamari - only slow cooked of quick fried. As I said elsewhere I find it always seems rubbery no matter how fast I fry it so I generally slow cook. Does blanching tenderise it? And how long do you blanche it?

I've never blanched calamari - only slow cooked of quick fried. As I said elsewhere I find it always seems rubbery no matter how fast I fry it so I generally slow cook. Does blanching tenderise it? And how long do you blanche it?

Hmm, I don't think I say it tenderizes it, but rather keeps it tender. This was takeout from a restaurant, but I've made it before the same way.
You drop the calamari into rapidly boiling water for just 45 seconds, then out and into ice water. It just barely gets cooked

Hmm, I don't think I say it tenderizes it, but rather keeps it tender. This was takeout from a restaurant, but I've made it before the same way.
You drop the calamari into rapidly boiling water for just 45 seconds, then out and into ice water. It just barely gets cooked

I'll have to try it. :)

A friend if Craig's who went for a fishing vacation to Alaska came home with an abundance of halibut. He gave Craig 3 pounds of it today so we decided on that for dinner tonight. Halibut with chimichurri sauce and roasted potatoes.

2018-06-09 17.49.54.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom