What did you cook or eat today (June 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Velvet Donuts :)

Outside of that, just warming up what was already made - Stew and Rice.

Today's porkie pie (I'll probably only eat half).

pork pie 5 s.jpg

Some jacket potatoes for later...........

jackets june s.jpg

The porkie pie (cold) with Hayward's piccalilli (not Heinz but a semi-reasonable substitute even considering it's almost £3.00 per jar).

pork pie 7 p s.jpg

IMG_1463.JPG

Shrimp Falafel Patties with Brussels Sprouts Slaw. This is an adaptation of my Falafel Patties recipe. Why shrimp? Simple:
  • I was going to make the falafel patties, so I soaked the beans. They were ready, but I couldn't get to them the next day. Or the day after that. Or the day after that. By the time I got to them, the beans were spoiled, and I had to start over again.
  • While I was at the supermarket getting ingredients for sushi, I saw that 26/30 shrimp was on sale at Kroger for $8.99/pound. I asked for a pound, and saw that there was barely more than a pound in the bin, so I bought the rest of it. 1.75 pounds was more than I needed for sushi, so I had extra.
  • Give a perishable ingredient to an overly ambitious home cook, and what do you think is going to happen?
Okay...so, not so simple. I decided to add shrimp in the same proportion (1 pound) as the garbanzo beans. I also significantly upped the mint (1 cup of mint, with 1 cup of parsley). And, I pulled the Brussels sprouts out of the patties, deciding that I could puree them and make a sauce. It didn't quite work out that way: these sprouts need a lot of cooking to break down. So, it's a slaw.. The "slaw" also consists of yogurt, grapefruit rind, and (freshly squeezed) grapefruit juice. Very tasty.

And, even better. they're substantial (3 ounces each) and very healthy (after pan cooking with cooking spray):

Shrimp Falafel Patties nutrition.JPG

By the way: no, the shrimp didn't go into the food processor, but everything else did.

IMG_1460.JPG

I hand-cut the shrimp into small pieces...

IMG_1461.JPG

...and mixed it together with the food processor contents by hand:

IMG_1462.JPG

Last edited:
I made a better job of cooking the beef fillet today - 80 seconds one side, 60 seconds t'other; 20 seconds both sides under the blowlamp. Served with one of the jackets that I cooked yesterday, straw mushrooms, beef tomato and (of course) English mustard.

3 s.jpg

4 s.jpg

I found a pumpkin up a tree in the garden the other day (did I post that picture here?) so tonight I peeled it & cut it up & boiled it with sweet potato for mash to go with curried sausages I made on Tuesday to give myself a break tonight.

Just the remains of the red lentil and tomato soup that we've had for the last two nights. There was only 1 serving left so I added some tvp boiled up in very stock, a tsp of Thai red curry paste, and made it into a curried tomato sauce served over rice.

I'll let the girls have the excess rice tomorrow. They love it and it won't hurt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom