What did you cook or eat today (June 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rest of last week's porkie pie.

pork pie 9 p s.jpg

There is so much yum in here. Those bbq drumsticks, rice paper rolls & whatever SNSSO has on that roll

I’m unwell so I have a pot of soup on the go - chicken with ginger & garlic. A bit of soy. A handful of dried shiitake.

I’ll add spring onion, coriander, chilli, rice noodles & bok choy before serving.

Shrimp, red and yellow bell, daikon, cucumber, carrot, cilantro spring rolls with a coconut, lime, cilantro dipping sauce. Craig and I both absolutely love that sauce.

A cucumber, carrot, shrimp, conch, and squid salad with a kimchi base, honey, lime juice dressing. An old favorite.

View attachment 16684

View attachment 16685

I loooove Vietnamese style spring rolls. Those look fantastic, as does the seafood salad.

Shrimp, red and yellow bell, daikon, cucumber, carrot, cilantro spring rolls with a coconut, lime, cilantro dipping sauce. Craig and I both absolutely love that sauce.

A cucumber, carrot, shrimp, conch, and squid salad with a kimchi base, honey, lime juice dressing. An old favorite.

View attachment 16684

View attachment 16685

Love those spring rolls.

I'm on holiday in Scotland. On the islands. Seafood :woot:. Yesterday at lunch I had muddles as a starter then trout. A bag of chops on the pier for supper.

Plan for today is local scallops and langoustine. (Mum and I will share).

Fantastic - any photos? And what are 'muddles'?

Saturday was pizza night - home made pizza using a sourdough base. Toppings were a thick home made tomato sauce with ricotta, onions, cherry tomatoes, chopped up pork sausage, plenty of basil, garlic, and a little black pepper. Of course, one part of it didn't have any onions on.....:D

Last night was a quick meal night. After taking the mutt on the Great Global Greyhound Walk, there followed about ten hours of watching motorsport, so eggs, beans, onions, mushrooms and chips it was then.

Last edited:
IMG_1469.JPG

Shrimp Gumbo. @CraigC, @medtran49; Cajun Alert!

This is a lighter take on my Shrimp and Oyster Gumbo recipe, which was quite a dilemma for me. A gumbo can be created without a roux - theoretically - but this is against the opinion of several in New Orleans that I interviewed when I visited last year. Having made it both ways, I have to say I agree. I don't claim to be an expert by any means, except that the word-of-mouth says I need to make a roux from oil and flour to start the gumbo. To lighten things up, I used half as much oil and flour, but added okra as a thickener. I also ground my own chicken andouille sausage. I'd say that this hit all the notes I expect to hit with a gumbo: it's spicy, rich, and hearty, with that subtle fried flavor that the roux brings.

And, it looks like I succeeded with making it lighter:

Shrimp Gumbo Nutrition.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom