What did you cook or eat today (March 2023)?

I didn't cook today, I made myself a brunch and had a glass of orange juice with it.
20230330_115925.jpg

Egg, pastrami sandwich, cream cheese & chive sandwich, spicy chicken sandwich and a Dutch sweet bread with marzipan, orange zest& raisins spread with some butter
FB_IMG_1680174405500.jpg

This is what the sweet bread looks like

Last edited:
Not familiar with the look of the cheesy scalloped potatoes. What are they?

Don't know how msmofet makes them, but I thinly slice potatoes and grate cheese, butter a casserole, put a fairly dense layer of potatos down, salt, pepper, dot with butter, scatter cheese, and repeat until casserole is 3/4 or so full. Then, I pour half and half, or some regular milk mixed with cream in the casserole until I can just see it. Cover and bake at 375 F/190 C until potatoes are just tender, anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour depending on amount of layers, uncover, scatter more cheese on top, back in oven to melt cheese and get a little browning.

I was planning on having this as my midmorning snack today, until I looked at the nutrition label:

238583AE-18AF-4F61-85F3-FEADD2E5F9EC.jpeg
BFAE3EFE-C8BB-4D39-820D-11B2CC41A3BB.jpeg

I intended to be responsible and just have half, since it’s a double-decker, but after reading that, I think it’ll be consumed in quarters… :(

I was planning on having this as my midmorning snack today, until I looked at the nutrition label:

View attachment 98026View attachment 98027
I intended to be responsible and just have half, since it’s a double-decker, but after reading that, I think it’ll be consumed in quarters… :(

Seriously Tasty, what did you expect from a Little Debbie? :laugh:

Well where I went to cooking school we parboiled the potatoes for Dauphinois unless we sliced them on a mandoline. But both ways are generally acceptable.
When I worked in catering we always parboiled to save time.

Also the above recipe is absolutely not a Dauphinois, that's always made with cream and garlic. Not with a roux based cream sauce , onions or rosemary or other herbs at all. The above is a gratin.
The words aren’t strictly defined where I live. If you saw Gratin or Dauphinois on a menu you would assume your getting sliced potato dish in a creamy sauce, whether that was a roux or cream wouldn‘t be guaranteed.

It’s even possible to see the words Gratin Dauphinois together as a title.

If it has other things added like sliced beetroot (which is a lovely red surprise in the middle) or has things flaked into it like broken up mackerel or sliced onion it seems more likely to be called Gratin.

The words aren’t strictly defined where I live. If you saw Gratin or Dauphinois on a menu you would assume your getting sliced potato dish in a creamy sauce, whether that was a roux or cream wouldn‘t be guaranteed.

It’s even possible to see the words Gratin Dauphinois together as a title.

If it has other things added like sliced beetroot (which is a lovely red surprise in the middle) or has things flaked into it like broken up mackerel or sliced onion it seems more likely to be called Gratin.
I understand, it was meant to educate not critique, sorry if it came across that way :hug:

Gratin Dauphinois is a variety of Gratin , correct. But a gratin is something else than a Gratin Dauphinois, that was my point. Classic French dishes are very specific. Nothing personal, just professional norms I am used to.

A Harley Davidson is a motorcycle, but not all motorcycles are Harleys. That was the thing I tried to say.

I understand, it was meant to educate not critique, sorry if it came across that way :hug:

Gratin Dauphinois is a variety of Gratin , correct. But a gratin is something else than a Gratin Dauphinois, that was my point. Classic French dishes are very specific. Nothing personal, just professional norms I am used to.

A Harley Davidson is a motorcycle, but not all motorcycles are Harleys. That was the thing I tried to say.
I get it 👍

I’m glad we’re not wandering into the arena of what’s authentic 😂

Back
Top Bottom