What did you cook or eat today (September 2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just bag in freezer bags and freeze. When Craig smokes a pork butt, it makes so much we have to freeze. I portion, bag the portions, and then put them all together in a bigger bag.

We do the same when he smokes brisket.

He's done a whole suckling pig in a Caja China a couple of times. Did the same with that meat.
Any pics of the suckling pig???

Russ

Any pics of the suckling pig???

Russ
Not finished because he didn't check the picture and it was blurry, but we have before pictures.

Laid out in the Caja China .

36788-albums1069-picture6818.jpg

After it was rubbed with the spice mix .

6819.jpg

Cooking

36788-albums1069-picture6817.jpg

The one he did previously was years ago before cellphones and digital cameras were common place things. There are probably film pictures someplace but I wouldn't know where to start looking. Boy does that date us!

I’ve frozen pulled pork before - I just vacuum-seal it up and freeze it. Even without the vacuum sealer, you should just be able to bag it up, squeeze the air out, and freeze it.

If the pulled pork is pretty saucy, pack it into a vacuum seal bag, par freeze it, and then vacuum seal it. The juices will freeze and stay in the bag, but the meat can still pack down, removing the air in the bag.

CD

We just had the wildest meal of our lives.

Picked MrsT up from the airport, and it’s a good thing I checked ahead of time, because the German restaurant she wanted to go to is open Fri-Sun only, so we went to Mecklenburg Gardens instead.

Meck’s is Cincy’s oldest restaurant, it’s German, but it’s not that great. It’s not bad, it’s just a little above average. The reason you go to Meck’s is to enjoy a fine selection of German beers and wines and sit in their nationally-ranked beer garden, which is what we did, and ordered food since we were there.

First thing upon walking in to be seated…the “hostess” was all of 11yo - “Ummmmmm…oh, yeah….uh…how many are in your…party?!”

Ok, somebody brought their kid to work, whatever.

“Two, please, outside if that’s ok.”

4:45PM - no one inside, a group of two outside and a group of four.

She seated us and asked if we like to start with a drink.

“Yeah, we’d like two beers, but-“

“I can’t do that. Darla or Jim will have to do that.”

“That’s what I thou-“ - before I could finish my sentence, she skipped away. She literally skipped.

Several minutes went by, and finally Darla showed up.

“Hey, y’all…jus’ so’s yah know, the menu is a little…limited tonight. Yah mighta heard that Saturday’s our las’ day.”

“What?! Really?! When did that happen?”

That’s all the invite Darla needed. She pulled out a chair and plopped down and told us the whole tale, how one of the brewers in town bought the place and was going to refurb it and reopen it in the Spring.

Her conversation veered off a lot, into things like the owner’s wife’s cancer, the previous owner, all kinds of sort-of-but-not-really-related things, but she was basically pretty sweet, and wiped away tears a few times. She’s older and has worked there for several years. She’s waited on us before, but not enough to really know each other.

Ok, after all that, she took our beer order and off she went.

We waited an extraordinarily long time for that beer, especially considering the place was virtually empty, but out she eventually came with our drinks.

“Ok, whaddaya thinkin’ for food?”

“Well, you said the menu was limited, so what do you have?”

“Oh, we got everything. Don’ worry about it, but your best bet are those appetizers with the little stars next to ‘em. Those’r our specialties, and they’re half off on accounta we’re closin’

Since they were half off, we picked two, and since we’d had so much time to wait for our beer, we also ordered our sandwiches.

We waited…and waited…and waited…every so often, she’d come by and make some sort of slightly nonsensical joke and laugh really loudly, say our food was on its way, and she was sitting with other customers that had arrived, and generally cutting up fairly loudly.

At one point, as she was getting more and more animated, I told MrsT, “Hey, I think she’s drunk!”

Sure enough, every time she’d come out, she’d be a little looser, and her words would be a little more slurred, and after a while, some colorful language would creep in.

“How’re you two doin’? Y’all ain’t got yer food yet? Honey, Imma check on that righ’ now, ‘cause it’s a no bullshit zone when Darla’s aroun’, y’know? I gotcha!” - and she’d disappear.

Yep, drunk and getting drunker.

Finally, a good hour later, our appetizers showed up, and they were fine, but a little lukewarm. I think they’d been sitting there awhile while Darla was holding court. No sandwiches, though.

We finished our appetizers, finished our beers, still no sandwiches. By this time, it was just before 7PM.

A different waitress came by, asked if we were ok, and we told her we were fine, but our food was taking forever to come out, and she said she’d check on it, and she was gone.

15 minutes later, Darla came back, asking us where our food was - “That’s a good, question, Darla,” and she promised to check, then sort of weaved her way back inside.

Part 2 coming up.

Continued:

Still no food. I went inside to use the bathroom, and there was Darla, barreling out of the kitchen. She saw me headed for the bathroom, jumped in front of it to block the door, arms and legs spread out, and said, “Hey! HEY! Remember in the old days, you hadda pay 10 cents to pee?! Well, I got bad news for yah, mister!”

Then she laughed really loudly and got out of the way and went back in the kitchen.

I need to point out that, regardless of all this, MrsT and I weren’t angry, or even slightly perturbed. We both understood that she was losing her job, as were the other folks, and she was taking it hard, and so we cut her a mile-and-a-half of slack.

Back outside, sat back down, Darla came over again and said, “Y’know, y’all are all right. Yer all right, and yer gonna be mad as shit when I tell yah…I fergot tah putcher sandwiches in. I’m sorry, I’m real sorry, but I fergot, and’ so they’re jus’ now makin’ ‘em. But I’m gonna get ‘em out to yah, and I’m gonna give yah another beer on the house.”

“Don’t worry about it, if it’s not a problem, can you just box them up to go and we’ll pay, it’s another hour for us to get home.”

“Oh…I’m sorry! I’m sorry! Lemme jus’ get that beer and-“

“No, really, it’s ok, and I shouldn’t be drinking anymore anyway.” - that was MrsT.

“Well, why not?! Yah drivin’?”

“No, medication.”

“Well, howzabout this - you give me yer meds an’ I’ll take ‘em and you can drink another beer?!”

So off she went to box up our food, and we waited…and waited…and waited…

She came back a couple of more times to say, “I’m boxin’ those righ’ now!” - never happened.

Finally, the other waitress came out…with one sandwich…on a plate. 🤦🏻‍♂️

“Here’s your reuben…didn’t you order anything else?”

“Yeah, a hot mett sandwich, and Darla’s supposed to be boxing it up to go.”

“Let me go check on her, I’ll just leave this here.”

And away she went.

Darla came back again, she’d suddenly gotten the idea we needed a box for some leftover soft pretzel from our appetizers, and we explained again we were waiting for our sandwiches that she was supposed to be boxing up.

“Y’all ain’t got ‘em yet?! Lemme go check on that!” Away she went.

It’s now past 7:30PM.

Out came the other waitress, carrying a bag of food. She stopped at one table, “Are you waiting on a to-go order? No? Ok.”

Next table, same question, same answer. Great this is our food. She walked towards us…then turned on her heel and went back inside!

Ok, still not angry, I get it, place is closing, but we couldn’t wait any longer, and up I got to go and fetch it…and Darla came barreling out with and nearly ran me down.

“She had yer food an’ skipped right over y’all!”

She sat it down on the table and continued, “Now y’all have put up with a lot tonight, and I appreciate yah, I do, and Imma take care of yah. Imma give yah a good discount on that bill, and are yah sure I can’t getcha a beer or somethin’ on the house for the road?”

And this is why it’s a good thing I don’t own a handgun, because after all that, MrsT said, “Yeah, uh, can I get a cream puff?”

No, no, no! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Part 3 next.

The rest of the story:

Darla said, “Sure, sweetie, I’ll jus’ put that in an’ be right back!”

Where have I heard that before?

We didn’t get out of there until well after 8PM. When she finally came out with the bill and the cream puff, I told MrsT to go in and pay for it all, and I’d manhandle it out to the car.

We were parked in their tiny little lot at the back of their building, and right when I got the food in the car, the back door slammed open and I heard a familiar shaky voice shout, “F***in’ bullshit! Bullshit!”

Honestly, my first thought was MrsT said something while she was paying the bill and inadvertently got Darla in trouble, so I ducked behind the car and made a beeline back to the front of the restaurant, so I could catch MrsT and keep her from going into the parking lot before Darla had a chance to clear out, in case of any trouble.

Too late.

MrsT rounded the corner, and Darla was just coming around, and she saw us and shouted, “I jus’ got fired! They sent me home!”

I was expecting the worst, but MrsT asked why she got fired and Darla said, “They said I’s bein’ too political an’ talkin’ an’ sittin’ too much with mah customers! But it’s jus’ ‘cause I love you all so much an’ I’m losin’ all y’all!”

MrsT gave her a big hug and said, “Hey, Darla, it’s only two days before you’re done anyway, so don’t sweat it, and I waitressed for 10 years. There’s always a job for a waitress, you’re gonna be fine.”

Then MrsT turned her loose, and Darla ran over to me and gave me a hug and started bawling even more.

During all this, the other waitress came out and made sure she got pointed home (walking distance), and we asked if she really got fired, because the manager sure was a jerk for firing someone two days before the restaurant closed, and she told us that the whole closing thing wasn’t public knowledge, because the details were finalized yet, and that’s mainly why she got in trouble, and for being sloshed, and that he’d just sent her home early and told her to come back tomorrow, and Darla popped off and said, “Why should I?,” to which he responded, “Suit yourself, either way,” which she took as being fired.

Crazy, huh?

What’s more…when MrsT paid, she didn’t notice at the time (very unlike her)…they didn’t knock anything off the bill! :laugh:

TastyReuben whoa! That's some adventure!

We had four, yes count them 4 doctor's appointments today all starting at 1030am and we finally got home about 6pm.
It's a good thing I thought ahead and planned an easy meal at home, along with a bottle of WINE!!! (yes, I can now drink wine again, thank you GAWD! DH can't drive yet, so I have to schlep us all over)

IMG_3199.JPG

Ham Steak - pan seared, Trader Joe's Hatch Chile Mac & Cheese (microwaved) and sautéed fresh Zucchini, Sweet Vidalia Onions and Sweet Red Bell Pepper with a boatload of minced Garlic and OO.
It was so simple and delicious. I had a second helping of veg, love that stuff.

Today's lunch ended up being eaten out.
Both hubby aslnd I were at the doctors to get vaccinations up to date before heading out to the UK on 2 weeks time...

And then before the hour drive home it was lunchtime and because of my allergies, we had to wait ½ hr before leaving, so much seemed the natural thing to do.

I had the smashed avo on toast with a small portion of chips (hubby had half) and hubby had the mushroom burger with its own supply of chips.

20230929_120915.jpg
20230929_120918.jpg
20230929_120911.jpg

We'll likely not eat this evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom