What have you grown in your veg plot or garden this year?

I can't give out too much but you peel the onions and leave in salted water overnight, next day make up a mix of allspice cloves pepper mustard curry powder turmeric flour and sugar , mix with vinegar. ( white) then heat white vinegar until,it's boiling then add spice mixture. I'm sorry I can't give quantities but I make mine in 10 kg batches. I have a friend who is going to market them here. Unless you have tried it's hard to explain.they are beautiful with a cheese platter. I could have 10 people here and 9 would absolutely love them. I'll put a pic up later when I go downstairs to the garage.

Russ

The onions sound interesting.

I'm going to try an experiment this year. My veggie and herb garden will be grown up on my deck in small plastic barrels, and in deck railing boxes.

I had a wonderful veggie and herb garden at my old house for the last 25 years. It was 4 meters wide by 12 meters across, and it was completely organic. I did not use any chemicals of any kind, and only amended the soil with my giant compost pile and organic peat moss.

But ever since I moved up into the mountains, I haven't been able to grow anything because it would need a fortress-like enclosure in order to keep out the bears, deer, woodchucks, turkeys, skunks, and raccoons.

But my deck has a bump out where a hot tub used to be (I had the hot tub removed last year. I hate sitting in boiling water. You might as well chuck in a mirepoux and bouquet garni and make soup), so I'm planning on putting in 4 or 5 tomato plants and 3 or 4 hot chili plants in buckets, and then herbs in the railing boxes such as thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, and chives.

I'll post a pic if I can pull it off.

My wife thinks I'll only be inviting the animals up on the deck. We'll see.

The onions sound interesting.

I'm going to try an experiment this year. My veggie and herb garden will be grown up on my deck in small plastic barrels, and in deck railing boxes.

I had a wonderful veggie and herb garden at my old house for the last 25 years. It was 4 meters wide by 12 meters across, and it was completely organic. I did not use any chemicals of any kind, and only amended the soil with my giant compost pile and organic peat moss.

But ever since I moved up into the mountains, I haven't been able to grow anything because it would need a fortress-like enclosure in order to keep out the bears, deer, woodchucks, turkeys, skunks, and raccoons.

But my deck has a bump out where a hot tub used to be (I had the hot tub removed last year. I hate sitting in boiling water. You might as well chuck in a mirepoux and bouquet garni and make soup), so I'm planning on putting in 4 or 5 tomato plants and 3 or 4 hot chili plants in buckets, and then herbs in the railing boxes such as thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley, cilantro, and chives.

I'll post a pic if I can pull it off.

My wife thinks I'll only be inviting the animals up on the deck. We'll see.

States huh?? We don't have your wild life here, but herbs don't take a lot of looking after, mine grow like heck, only one I have trouble with is coriander. Although I was told no sun, so I'm trying different next season. I never had so much basil this year along with oregano. I make and freeze pasta sauce for the winter.

Russ

States huh?? We don't have your wild life here, but herbs don't take a lot of looking after, mine grow like heck, only one I have trouble with is coriander. Although I was told no sun, so I'm trying different next season. I never had so much basil this year along with oregano. I make and freeze pasta sauce for the winter.

Russ
Sadly here I have a huge problem growing anything including herbs. Possums, wombats and kangaroo/wallabies in particular cause no end of issues eating my herbs when there is little else growing during any dry period of any cold period...
Anything I grow had to be fenced in and possum proof. My veg plot of becoming a fortress. Other animals also cause issues, such as the jack rabbits (technically a hare not a rabbit and thankfully not breeding like them), crimson Rosellas eat any fruit in the trees often just before it is ripe and sulphur crested cockatoos destroy trees and branches ripping off a certain thickness of branch, striping the bark and eating 2-3 inches of inner pith before discarding the branch (sometimes 2m or more long) and starting again.
Leeks, garlic, onions and potatoes seem one of the few veg that are safe from possums in particular. But strangely my chives have been decimated time and time again by roos or wallabies.

I can't give out too much but you peel the onions and leave in salted water overnight, next day make up a mix of allspice cloves pepper mustard curry powder turmeric flour and sugar , mix with vinegar. ( white) then heat white vinegar until,it's boiling then add spice mixture. I'm sorry I can't give quantities but I make mine in 10 kg batches. I have a friend who is going to market them here. Unless you have tried it's hard to explain.they are beautiful with a cheese platter. I could have 10 people here and 9 would absolutely love them. I'll put a pic up later when I go downstairs to the garage.

Russ

So its like a chutney then?

No, the onions are whole, you'll get what I mean when I post up a pic. It's bucketing down here today so when I do go to the garage I will take a pic.

Russ

I'm liking this and look forward to the photo! But perhaps they are pickled onions with curry spices?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I bet its not really cold!
Ok here's a pic
Some of my preserves

Russ

Back
Top Bottom