What is the most Expensive Countertop Appliance That You Bought for the Kitchen?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
1:38 AM
I'd have to say that it was the stand mixer.

At a price of just over $500, that is a lot for a mixer. But that was '06 dollars. Today, the same style mixer is just over $800!! WOW!!!:headshake:

I really don't have any that I regard as expensive (no stand mixer) on the countertop. I have a toaster/oven that cost £25, a kettle £12. A toaster £10. That's it! I don't have any other counter-top appliances unless a spice grinder and mini-chopper count (they are kept in a drawer).

If I had a dream sized kitchen I might have a stand mixer but I simply don't have room. - I do wonder how much I would use it though. I make cakes, buns, bread by hand, no problem. And what else is it used for...? If I had arthritic hands it might be another matter.

For appliances that stay out on the counter, I would have to say it was the Vitamix Pro blender, about $425. I have a lot of stuff that resides in cabinets or the basement, and of that stuff, it would probably be the Lem #12 meat grinder, also around $400.

My kitchenaid stand mixer with several of the attachments. Juicer, shredder, ice cream maker.
(Not that I paid retail).
Next up would be my bread machine and toaster oven. ($100 each and they were bought retail) Then probably the microwave. (Again not retail). My indoor outdoor grill. (Not retail).

You guys are making me feel cheap. Two of you paid more for one or two things than I have paid for my entire kitchen.

How much :eek::eek::eek: [it's the Yorkshire in me]
Is that a lot? It was about the cheapest I could find - Asda. This one:

Asda.jpeg

Electrolux Stand Mixer..jpg

Here it is! Probably the most noticed thing is the huge 8-qt work bowl, which can accommodate up to a whole 5lb bag of of flour in one recipe for bread dough!! :wink:

Last edited:
Probably my Philips liquidiser/blender - although I use the hand blender more often (easier to wash up!)

I was just looking at meat grinders...thinking of getting one...but, wow, the reviews are very mixed e.g. from 1 star to 5 stars (for the same cast iron product)

Last edited:
View attachment 6697

Here it is! Probably the most noticed thing is the huge 8-qt work bowl, which can accommodate uo to a whole 5lb bag of of flour in one recipe for bread dough!! :wink:

It looks the business.:) But why would I want to make that much dough at once? I can see it would make sense if one was catering.

Which is why I never bought a liquidiser! I use the stick blender quite a lot - and as you say, its easy to wash up. Why do people need liquidisers?
The liquidiser accommodates a larger volume e.g. if blending fruit etc for a drink.

Mine has an attachment for pulsing nuts, grains etc - I tend to use that more than the liquidiser!

I used to use the liquidiser for soups before I got the hand blender.

Which is why I never bought a liquidiser! I use the stick blender quite a lot - and as you say, its easy to wash up. Why do people need liquidisers?
Now I prefer the liquidiser over the hand blender.
and its a sinch to clean because all I do is add some water and a touch of washing up liquid and put it on an 30 second cycle... it does the rest. rinse and usually you are done. Sometimes you need to wipe around the top but that's it. Plus my liquidiser can blend nuts which a hand blender can't do and the handblender is a pain because with the liquidiser I pull out the base, and plug it in, I pull out the jug add what I need and put the lid on and turn it on... my hand blender, I have to locate the storage container it is in, undo the clip, pull out the motor (bit you hold) and plug it in, pull out the stick and attach it and then decide which of the several blades it has I need and attach that. now I am ready to use it. The liquidiser is easy... both have low medium and high settings and both have pulse control.... liquidiser each time. (My hubby bought the hand blender by the way not me).

My most expensive countertop appliance is probably my second hand Excalibur dehydrator. though I have never paid more than £100 for any of them. My current one is a white 5 tray one after my husband leant my black timer controlled 9 tray one to his brother... But that now reminds me, I guess my second hand mixer is actually my most expensive at £125....

Unless no, its my omniblend blender which we bought new.... I think.... it would have been around the £200 possibly. but it is worth it given the amount of use it gets. Just about every meal uses it somehow.

Now I prefer the liquidiser over the hand blender.
and its a sinch to clean because all I do is add some water and a touch of washing up liquid and put it on an 30 second cycle... it does the rest. rinse and usually you are done. Sometimes you need to wipe around the top but that's it. Plus my liquidiser can blend nuts which a hand blender can't do and the handblender is a pain because with the liquidiser I pull out the base, and plug it in, I pull out the jug add what I need and put the lid on and turn it on... my hand blender, I have to locate the storage container it is in, undo the clip, pull out the motor (bit you hold) and plug it in, pull out the stick and attach it and then decide which of the several blades it has I need and attach that. now I am ready to use it. The liquidiser is easy... both have low medium and high settings and both have pulse control.... liquidiser each time. (My hubby bought the hand blender by the way not me).
Sometimes this method of washing the liquidiser is not sufficient though. Depending on how sticky/thick the blended mixture is, food can get stuck on the under sides of the blade which is why the base can be detached to clean the blades.

I agree with you though about the ability to grind nuts (for which I have an attachment).

My hand blender is slim and stands on the work surface in its container, i.e. it's ready to use and just requires switching on. I only have the one attachment though, i.e. not a selection. It suffices!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom