What is your current "read"?

I have just finished reading a book about the Enlightenment. It is entitled, helpfully, The Enlightenment, and was written by the late British historian Norman Hampson. I found it, well, enlightening.

This now leaves me free to complete my Dickens collection. I have only Bleak House to read, one of his later works and regarded as his most satirical. There is also the hint of something of a detective story among the various and many branches of the plot. Perhaps this element sprung from Dickens's friendship with Wilkie Collins, who wrote what might be deemed the first detective novel, The Moonstone.

I have just finished reading a book about the Enlightenment. It is entitled, helpfully, The Enlightenment, and was written by the late British historian Norman Hampson. I found it, well, enlightening.

This now leaves me free to complete my Dickens collection. I have only Bleak House to read, one of his later works and regarded as his most satirical. There is also the hint of something of a detective story among the various and many branches of the plot. Perhaps this element sprung from Dickens's friendship with Wilkie Collins, who wrote what might be deemed the first detective novel, The Moonstone.
I actually prefer Wilkie Collins's books to those of Dickens.

Collins, in a way, was quite radical. A lot of people dismiss his works as being sensationalist, but he explored quite a lot of themes that were ahead of their time, especially in terms of the inhumane nature of marriage, divorce and inheritance laws.

I just finished a historical saga, written by a former Restaurateur in The Madrid Capital, who opened the 1st Mexican Taquera in continental Europe, called:

An Immigrant Named America, written by: Ventura Rocha Criolla.

Enormously extraordinarily exceptional Reading .. Could not put it down .. From Mexico, The Usa, and to Spain ..

My dear friend Rose, had done the translation from Spanish to English ( I had read it in Spanish ) and I had wanted to read the English versión as well .. Ventura is a dear friend and he is now retired, 90 years old & a full time resident in the Madrid Capital ..

I believe it would make a fascinating Mini Series on T.V. or a "soap opera" on daytime t.v.
It is quite an amazingly written historical saga .. All true however, has a historical novel quality with profoundly intricate characters .. and each having a fascinating role ..

Now, I am back to my September Magazines ( In French): Yam Magazine and Thuriès Gastronomie Magazine and in Spanish, Elle Gourmet ..

Have a lovely day ..

Last edited:
Speaking of historical novels I found Bernard Cornwell's Matthew Shardlake series (six in total) set in the sixteenth century to be intriguing.

Speaking of historical novels I found Bernard Cornwell's Matthew Shardlake series (six in total) set in the sixteenth century to be intriguing.
Brilliant! I've only actually got the sixth book, but I got the others from the library. I like the Giordano Bruno books too - I've got all of those.

Brilliant! I've only actually got the sixth book, but I got the others from the library. I like the Giordano Bruno books too - I've got all of those.

I read all of them in paperback; they were being circulated in the local pub. I've since downloaded all six to re-read in future.

I read all of them in paperback; they were being circulated in the local pub. I've since downloaded all six to re-read in future.
I bought the sixth book because there was a silly offer for it online via Amazon. At the time they had a collection of books 1-5 on Amazon at a lot cheaper than the prices of the individual books. Like an idiot I waited a couple of days before going back to the Amazon site and the offer had finished. I shall have to keep a look out - it's bound to come up again.

Have you read the Hilary Mantel books Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies? I was a bit taken aback by her style at first, but my cousin who was starring in a stage version of Wolf Hall at the time told me to read Chapters 1 and 2, and then 2 and 3, 3 and 4, and so on for a while until I'd really got into it. It seemed to work, and I quite enjoyed them after that.

I am working my way through a stack of magazines. I had saved all the issues from the last couple of months to take with us on vacation. Since we're retired and have no real commitment to return home, I figured it best to not borrow any from the local library. One of these days I'll bother to download an e-book, but I really prefer the feel of a print one in my hands.

I am working my way through a stack of magazines. I had saved all the issues from the last couple of months to take with us on vacation. Since we're retired and have no real commitment to return home, I figured it best to not borrow any from the local library. One of these days I'll bother to download an e-book, but I really prefer the feel of a print one in my hands.

I find the advantage of eBooks is that you may adjust the text to any size that suits. A major advantage with my failing eyesight. Oh, and also, you can read in low light if you have a backlit kindle reader.

I have a Samsung tablet. I guess it works fine as an e-reader because Hubby is always on his reading or watching videos. I would get annoyed that he spent so much screen time watching the darned thing - until I found out he was watching tutorials on how to do woodworking. Just the things to know how to do what he now does!

GERALDPASSEDATBOOK11225361_10205707748666564_7290181466344822775_n.jpg

Just could not resist picking up Three Michelin Star, French Chef Gerald Passédat´s New Cookbook at a tiny bookshop in Montpellier yesterday .. The U.K. Photographer Richard Haughton is absolutely incredible .. It is in French at moment only. We have eaten at his amazing Restaurant Le Petit Nice in Marseille a few times ..[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
I have a Samsung tablet. I guess it works fine as an e-reader because Hubby is always on his reading or watching videos.

I actually don't have a "Kindle". I have Kindle for PC which is installed on my laptop and Kindle for Android which is installed on my phone. Maybe if I was still a regular traveller I would invest in a Kindle reader as the battery lasts substantially longer than the two devices that I have (so I am informed).

I prefer print books however, online Reading of books surely takes up less room !

My book collection, requires an apartment of their own ! Or a Villa may even be too small. Perhaps a castle !!!

My husband, dad and father in law converted a bedroom in our apartment to a Library just for my gastronomic book collection !!

I just bought another book last night !! I am dangerous in book shops, 2nd hand book shops, thrift store books, flea market book stalls and book fairs ..

Terribly addicting !!!

Back
Top Bottom