What is your current "read"?

I've just now finished the fourth of the Milleninum "trilogy" (written by David Lagercrantz). Jumps about a lot in the first few chapters and I found it difficult to keep track of the characters (Norwegian/Swedish/Russian names) but eventually it became difficult to put down.

Book no. 5 "The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye" will be published tomorrow! Only in book form or Kindle so far. I hope it comes out as an audiobook soon.

Ah, it is out as an audiobook; it's just that for some strange reason Amazon didn't advertise it. Guess what I'm going to be reading as soon as I've finished my current one (There Must be Evil - Bernard Taylor)!

I suppose everything must go digital, but I was saddened to hear that Pears' Cyclopaedia will no longer be published. The very first, rather bizarrely, was published by Pears' Soap in 1897.

My favourite copy was published c.1903. I do have a much more modern one, but it isn't a patch on the old one.

OK - time to confess. I realized that after all my years I had NEVER read an Enid Blyton book [nope not even as a child]. So had to read at least one before the grim reaper took hold and picked up one of the 'famous five' novels. Pointless fun and not as ridiculous [or as non PC] as the so called humorists would have us all believe. Not great literature I admit but one more thing off the bucket list.

Sunday 10th September:

I am reading a fascinating little book called: The Kitchen & The Seven Deadly Sins in Spanish ( La Cocina y los siete Pecados Capitales ) ..

THE 7 SINS.jpg

September 10th - Sunday:

I am also reading an exemplary book called: The Essential Wine Buff in English .. Absolutely amazing for those who are wine buffs ..

THE ESSENTIAL WINE BUFF.jpg

Sunday 10th September:

I am reading a fascinating little book called: The Kitchen & The Seven Deadly Sins in Spanish ( La Cocina y los siete Pecados Capitales ) ..

View attachment 10279

@morning glory

Firstly, the author of the book is also a partner of a popular Madrid Capital based restaurant .. and a food historian ..

The seven deadly sins are symbolically categorised by colors ..

Yellow = Proudness .. Inspired and motivated ..
And then you have récipes that correspond to each category .. Then, there are commentaries, historical notes and product specialties in this range or grouping.
The key is it is written with a grand humor .. I finished it already .. It is a small book .. 72 pages total ..

Black = Avarice, Anti social = Sentiments of being Warned of peril and Profound negativity ..
Squid rice is the dish ( prepared with squid ink ) ..

And it is fascinating how the author connects the deadly sins, with colors and récipes and denotes colorology ..

Highly entertaining .. and has a few really lovely récipes too ..

Have a nice evening .. Thanks ..

As I near the end of my final Dickens novel (Bleak House), I am amused by the thought of a question I can ask; name two novelists to feature a character called Michael Jackson in their works.

Answer:

1 Dickens (rather obviously)
2 Me

This is likely to be the only opportunity I will ever have to fit Charles Dickens and myself into the same sentence.

Since, I have been at the Office this whole week, I have just read the September edition of Thuriès Gastronomie Magazine, which is published by a Designer of Chocolates, and which I receive monthly and is, Yam, another French Gastronomic Magazine published by a Multi Michelin Star Chef ..

That is it at moment.

When we took off on our 4-week adventure, I took all of the magazines that had accumulated on my stack - about a dozen of them. We were busy enough that I got very little reading done - mostly while riding in the car. By the time we left our daughter's on Wednesday, I had been able to dispose of only a half-dozen of them. Sorted through all the mail that came in while we were gone...and counted seven new magazines to read. *sigh*

Lest you all think that I spend crazy money on magazines, I don't. All but one of these are from free offers. Our trash hauler used to partner with a program that awarded points for gifts when you recycled. I'm still using up the points from that program even though they no longer offer this bonus.

When we took off on our 4-week adventure, I took all of the magazines that had accumulated on my stack - about a dozen of them. We were busy enough that I got very little reading done - mostly while riding in the car.

I have never been able to read in the car (or bus for that matter) without feeling (and eventually being) sick. I have to keep my eyes on the road.

I learned to read while going for rides as a child, since my Dad enjoyed taking the family (Dad, Mom and me, so a small "family") for Sunday drives. Mom loved going for drives, while I thought they were a waste of time unless you were driving TO a destination for a purpose. Nope, Mom loved to ride and watch the scenery. So, I just got used to reading while riding. Back when my fingers were nimble and the joints weren't arthritic, I would even do counted cross stitch in the car. Nothing tiny like on a 24-count or even a 16-count fabric ("count" refers to how many little "x"s would fit in a linear inch), but I could turn out quite a bit of 11- or 14-count pictures.

My current read:
I have never been able to read in the car (or bus for that matter) without feeling (and eventually being) sick. I have to keep my eyes on the road.
Nor me. I can knit though as you don't need to look down a at the knitting all the time. However, due to the new resident in my car I am not even getting in the car let alone going anywhere!

When we took off on our 4-week adventure, I took all of the magazines that had accumulated on my stack - about a dozen of them. We were busy enough that I got very little reading done - mostly while riding in the car. By the time we left our daughter's on Wednesday, I had been able to dispose of only a half-dozen of them. Sorted through all the mail that came in while we were gone...and counted seven new magazines to read. *sigh*

Lest you all think that I spend crazy money on magazines, I don't. All but one of these are from free offers. Our trash hauler used to partner with a program that awarded points for gifts when you recycled. I'm still using up the points from that program even though they no longer offer this bonus.

@Lynne Guinne

I have been subscribing to these 2 French Magazines for years and I adore both of them dearly and the best part is since I live in Barcelona, they both have empowered my French vocabulary incredibly and enhanced my knowledge in wines and global food products.

Each to his own as we say ..

Have a nice weekend ..

Back
Top Bottom