What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

IMG_7980.jpeg

Usually make my own pizza sauce, but I saw this at ALDI for the first time, so I’m trying it.

IMG_7981.jpeg

That’s a lot of ginger, the most I’ve ever bought in one trip.

IMG_7982.jpeg

That cardamom was $14!

IMG_7983.jpeg

Love beans on a salad!

That cardamom was $14!
As with fresh turmeric you can freeze the ginger and just grate it frozen, taking off just what you need and return it to the freezer.

Green cardamom pods here are $4.80 (AU$) for 50g from the supermarket, cheaper if you go to the Indian or Asian stores (but that will cost me more in fuel for a specific trip). US$14 for 31g sounds like a rip off.

Green cardamom pods here are $4.80 (AU$) for 50g from the supermarket, cheaper if you go to the Indian or Asian stores (but that will cost me more in fuel for a specific trip). US$14 for 31g sounds like a rip off.
It’s not a common ingredient here - ground cardamom, yes. Pods, no. I had to go to the fancy gourmet shop to get those. Everything’s twice what it should be.

I'm going to change your name to Sir Shopsalot.
I was mad today because I stopped in at ALDI a little bit ago…I saw rain chains for sale there, a load of them, $12, on Thursday.

Today, completely gone. I never learn - at ALDI, but it when you see, for tomorrow it shall be gone.

Are rain chains the things used to water plants?
I don’t know if they’re used for that, I’d never heard of them until Thursday. The ones they were selling were really just decorative; hang them from a gutter or roofline and watch the water drip down. I think they used to be used to break up water coming off roofs before we invented gutters. 🤷‍♂️

They had three designs; a chain of little watering cans, a chain of pinwheels, and a chain of upturned flower blossoms.

that's about what I use per week. It'll last for several weeks in the fridge.
That cardamom was $14!
Yes, cardamom is one the most expensive spices around. I can get it in the Indian grocery for about $86 a kilo, but over in Caracas it's $130 a kilo. Fortunately, a neighbour called a few weeks back and said her sister (who lives in Qatar) had brought 4 50 gm jars of cardamom and could she exchange it for some of my mango chutney?
Done deal!

The first of my saffron harvest. These are the stamen from 6 flowers. I'm not worried about how long the stamen are because I'm not selling them, so maximising the saffron by weight isn't an issue for me. Ordinarily, commercial saffron would have the yellow and white section cut off to increase the quality of the saffron by weight.

20240408_075458.jpg

Actually I hadn't planned on harvesting the saffron this year because I only moved them back last winter, but my chooks helped pick these 6 flowers.

I've got a recipe later in the week that uses saffron, so I'll dry them in the house and use them later this week.

The first of my saffron harvest. These are the stamen from 6 flowers. I'm not worried about how long the stamen are because I'm not selling them, so maximising the saffron by weight isn't an issue for me. Ordinarily, commercial saffron would have the yellow and white section cut off to increase the quality of the saffron by weight.

View attachment 112043

Actually I hadn't planned on harvesting the saffron this year because I only moved them back last winter, but my chooks helped pick these 6 flowers.

I've got a recipe later in the week that uses saffron, so I'll dry them in the house and use them later this week.
I love this. I've never even considered what a saffron flower looks like.
I'll be honest the price of the stuff means I don't use it.
Usually if an orangey colours required I'm naughty and just chuck a but if turmeric in 😬😂

I love this. I've never even considered what a saffron flower looks like.
I'll be honest the price of the stuff means I don't use it.
Usually if an orangey colours required I'm naughty and just chuck a but if turmeric in 😬😂

They are a specific type of crocus and I did try to grow them once, but the yield was so little it was not worth it. It is indeed expensive but absolutely worth every penny in my book and you don't need a lot to season a dish. Its taste is inimitable. Its heavenly...

Its taste is inimitable. Its heavenly...
Absolutely .
Each crocus produces 3 pistils , which have to be harvested by hand. What's more, they need to be harvested at exactly the right time ( I believe there's a 3 day window, SatNavSaysStraightOn ?)
1 kg of saffron requires between 150,000 and 400, 000 threads. But as MG states, there's nothing like it!

Back
Top Bottom