What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

We used to eat them and make cordial from the flowers when we lived in the UK. But here in Australia we don't have anywhere near enough of them to do that anymore, though I am mildly amused by the fact you can buy them as seeds, along with nettles and other such UK 'weeds'. I do miss my nettle cordial though.

We used to eat them and make cordial from the flowers when we lived in the UK. But here in Australia we don't have anywhere near enough of them to do that anymore, though I am mildly amused by the fact you can buy them as seeds, along with nettles and other such UK 'weeds'. I do miss my nettle cordial though.
I’ve never had nettle cordial.
How many nettles do you need?

I have Shaoxing arriving today. I’m so ridiculously happy about that. It’s been off my ingredients list for decades due to it having wheat in it.
Then for no reason I thought I should check again because gluten free is far more prevalent now and 20 years ago the marvels of the internet bringing you ingredients you can’t normally get didn’t exist.
Bingo!! Two types to choose from both well reviewed.
The ingredients list isn’t as clean as I’d like but beggars can’t be choosers!

IMG_2041.jpeg

I’ve never had nettle cordial.
How many nettles do you need?
It's easier to buy it in Waitrose ready made, but if you want to make your own, you'll need to wait a few months and need a fair quantity... sorr of 50L size, washing up gloves, with liners and a pair of scissors, and plenty of time. Elderflower cordial is also very similar only you don't need the rubber gloves. You can also buy that ready made as well. In fact the only one you can't yet buy ready made is dandelion (flower) cordial. You'll need a small field of them though....

I think back around the start of this site, I did make some of both elderflower and nettle cordial. I'd have to dig...

IMG_7459.jpeg

Little wines, I like to keep those on hand for cooking, and that pasta is for an upcoming challenge entry. MrsT eats those instant oatmeal packets, though I see now that one isn’t lower sugar, so I suppose I’ll be eating that one. I hate instant oatmeal! :(

IMG_7460.jpeg

Smoked sausage is for Valentine’s Day fondue, corn is for a challenge entry, and so is the ground beef (different entry, though).

IMG_7461.jpeg

MrsT favorite raw vegetable, the lowly turnip, and those big sumo tangerines were on sale, so two of those. Same with the cherries, and the jalapeños…challenge entry.

IMG_7462.jpeg

Purple cabbage, MrsT says that keeps her sluggish digestion going, and cilantro is yet another thing for a challenge entry - MrsT hates cilantro, but it’s really necessary for the dish.

IMG_7490.jpeg

Chocolate chips for chocolate scones tomorrow and chocolate fondue on Val’s Day.

IMG_7491.jpeg

Lunchmeat for some kind of football-inspired afternoon tea sandwiches for tomorrow.

IMG_7492.jpeg

Clotted cream for scones tomorrow and the bread is for fondue. I was going to make bread, but then I suddenly had a premonition of being lazy later this week that I’m sure will come true.

IMG_7493.jpeg

Eat your vegetables!

IMG_7494.jpeg

MrsT’s current favorite apple (Sugar Bee).

ALDI & Kroger:

IMG_7589.jpeg

I love crackers!

IMG_7590.jpeg

Best deal in the world on whole-bean coffee: $5.99US. I also find that Goya beans have fewer blowouts in the can than any other brand. That’s one area where ALDI is no good at all; even their premium organic canned beans are about a third mushed-up.

IMG_7591.jpeg

Possibly my all-time favorite cereal.

IMG_7592.jpeg

MrsT asked for yogurt, as the antibiotics she’s on are doing a number on her gut.

I asked what she wanted, and I know how picky she is, so I wanted to exact brands and flavors, and she said it didn’t matter, so I came home with those.

Management was not happy, and I was “spoken to” about my poor choices. :laugh:

IMG_7593.jpeg

Those must be the best mushrooms, because it’s clearly labeled that they’re champs. :laugh:

ALDI & Kroger:

View attachment 110195
I love crackers!

View attachment 110196
Best deal in the world on whole-bean coffee: $5.99US. I also find that Goya beans have fewer blowouts in the can than any other brand. That’s one area where ALDI is no good at all; even their premium organic canned beans are about a third mushed-up.

View attachment 110197
Possibly my all-time favorite cereal.

View attachment 110198
MrsT asked for yogurt, as the antibiotics she’s on are doing a number on her gut.

I asked what she wanted, and I know how picky she is, so I wanted to exact brands and flavors, and she said it didn’t matter, so I came home with those.

Management was not happy, and I was “spoken to” about my poor choices. :laugh:

View attachment 110199
Those must be the best mushrooms, because it’s clearly labeled that they’re champs. :laugh:

Spoken to. I get the cold shoulder here. Sometimes its welcomed. Lol

Russ

Last edited:
Spoken to. I get the cold shoulder here. Sometimes iys welcomed. Lol

Russ
With me, it’s pretty much in one ear and out the other. She’ll eat that yogurt later this week and tell me it’s good. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom