What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

Good haul there. Makes a difference home grown eh??
We didn't grow courgettes this year. We couldn't give them away last year. Tomatoes I'm waiting on 1 more kilo to make sauce

Russ
We love courgettes, so I don't mind a reasonable number. We have various recipes that they work really well in including a creamy courgette soup (original made with garlic and herbs boursin but I have to adapt now), a courgette, rosemary baked rice cake (main course, not sweet) and courgette "chips" (dehydrated courgette soaked in tamari beforehand). They disappear as fast as I can make them!

I have to confess though I must have disposed of at least half as much again because the slugs and fungi had got to them. I didn't get any picked whilst I was ill, so that's why.

We love courgettes, so I don't mind a reasonable number. We have various recipes that they work really well in including a creamy courgette soup (original made with garlic and herbs boursin but I have to adapt now), a courgette, rosemary baked rice cake (main course, not sweet) and courgette "chips" (dehydrated courgette soaked in tamari beforehand). They disappear as fast as I can make them!

I have to confess though I must have disposed of at least half as much again because the slugs and fungi had got to them. I didn't get any picked whilst I was ill, so that's why.

We had corn I cooked with butter picked from plant to mouth 1 hr.. soooooo sweet. It's our best year after wife learned about the pollination. :)

Russ

Russ

We had corn I cooked with butter picked from plant to mouth 1 hr.. soooooo sweet. It's our best year after wife learned about the pollination. :)

Russ

Russ
Sadly sweetcorn doesn't grow well here. My season is too short, but I do get plenty of wind pollination living on top of a mountain near a large wind farm!

Lately I have had to change my diet due to some health problems and among the alternatives to cow's milk is the oat drink which I must say I like very much. This morning I was delighted to discover that this Oat drink is also grow in the UK ☺️

IMG_3999.jpeg

Lately I have had to change my diet due to some health problems and among the alternatives to cow's milk is the oat drink which I must say I like very much. This morning I was delighted to discover that this Oat drink is also grow in the UK ☺️

View attachment 110482
Sorry to hear about your health problems, but welcome to the non-dairy milk club.

I'm also favouring an Oat milk at the moment as well.

View attachment 110482
The oat alternatives have come along leaps and bounds in the last couple of years.
I enjoy the oat crème fraiche, there’s a very plain spreading oat cream which has a slightly acidic edge (great for cheesecake) and they’ve nailed the oat whipping cream which ok you’ll never get more than soft peaks but it makes a delicious (and cheap) ice cream amongst other things.
I also think the ‘barista’ oat milks make a better latte.
But I’m biased, we have been mainly dairy free for 30 years so have mostly made the leap away from cow tasting stuff.

The oat alternatives have come along leaps and bounds in the last couple of years.
I enjoy the oat crème fraiche, there’s a very plain spreading oat cream which has a slightly acidic edge (great for cheesecake) and they’ve nailed the oat whipping cream which ok you’ll never get more than soft peaks but it makes a delicious (and cheap) ice cream amongst other things.
I also think the ‘barista’ oat milks make a better latte.
But I’m biased, we have been mainly dairy free for 30 years so have mostly made the leap away from cow tasting stuff.

I am enjoying the oat drink as much as I often drink the almond or soy drink, all without added sugar. I admit, however, that I personally do not intend to give up cow's milk or goat's milk because I like them. However, I have different needs at the moment and I will continue to alternate and find a good compromise later on.
I'm very curious about the spreadable oat cream, I don't know if I'll be able to find it here in the large-scale retail trade, but there might be a possibility in some organic supermarkets.

Back
Top Bottom