What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

I found a huge Polish supermarket with bakery and butcher near us! So happy! I didn't have the car with me so going back for a big shop later but I got fresh baked donuts ( very rare where I live) and challah bread! ( Never seen before at a Dutch bakery). I am so delighted!
20240309_111723.jpg

20240309_172941.jpg

We just got back from Las Vegas, where is a HUGE population of folks from Hawaii and there are several markets where you can buy food stuffs that we would normally cook back home.
I was so excited to go shopping before coming back to Cowboyville Arizona USA (where there is NO such foods available).
This is one of the things that I found that blew me to the Moon and back ...
IMG_3748.JPG

Fresh Rice Noodles or Sa Ho Fun or Ho Fun or Chow Fun Noodles.
I was dancing in the aisle when I saw these ... it's a good thing that DH was waiting outside :laugh:
I bought 6 pounds worth and I am HOPING the they will freeze well ... I have read online that this is possible.
Miss these noodles more than I could tell you ... and yes, I do know that I could make my own, but ...
I'll show you the rest of my haul later.

IMG_7771.jpeg
IMG_7772.jpeg

I wanted the tenderloins, but since it was buy-one-get-one, I also ended up with some breasts as well.

I do this all the time: fairly nice out today, and I looked at my list and saw three items, so I thought, “I’ll leave my car at the park and walk the 10 minutes to Kroger.”

Got to Kroger, opened my list, grabbed a handbasket, headed in, and…”Oh, that’s right, MrsT didn’t like the apples I bought, I better get some different ones…those oranges are still on sale…oh yeah, one of those PB recipes calls for rice vinegar…,” and before you know it, I’ve got three very heavy sacks to manage on the way back to the car!

Just lifted 2-3kg of fresh figs from the trees. I've another ½kg of raspberries to harvest and the lemon tree has dropped so many overripe lemons that I need to clear some away so that the chooks can hide under the lemon tree again.

17102906013957884929516891303155.jpg

Ok, there might be more than 3kg there!

Edited: weighed them all to make jam with and I've got 5kg of fresh figs. There's loads more on the 2 trees as well!

Last edited:
I'm very disappointed. As noted in the what did you eat today thread, we had to drive to Miami for an errand. The place we get truffles, caviar, foie gras, etc., is on the way home. They had sent an email yesterday advertising Burgundy black truffles, so I thought we'd pick up some. Got there about noon and were told they were out but would get a delivery sometime after 2. Glad we didn't make a special trip and just went a few minutes out of our way.

Ballreich’s potato chips, long time favorite but, not so much anymore. I don’t think they taste the same nor have the same flaky crunch. The last few bags I purchased almost seemed like the texture of Kettle Cooked and were hard and sharp to the bite. The bag was not labeled “Kettle Cooked”.

Curious if it’s just me or do you know - did they change their recipe/cooking process ?

My haul from Las Vegas
IMG_3767.JPG

I bought multiples of everything. The canned Lychee I bought an entire case of!
These are ingredients that I use in alot of my local or Island style cooking.
The snack-y stuff, well that was just for fun.
DH whipped one package of the Amaretti cookies before I could even pull out I needed for a recipe I want to make again! So this bag is being hidden, WELL! :thankyou:
The Rice Crackers or Kakimochi is FOR ME!!! Although I did just share a bowl with DH ... "WOW! We haven't these in a LONG time. Did you have these stash away from our last trip to Hawaii?"
UM, NO! That was five years ago dear heart ... they'd be pretty stale by now don't ya think? :laugh:
And if y'all have never tried Coconut Syrup on your Pancakes, Waffles or even French Toast, DO!!!
I thought I saw a recipe for it somewhere.

I'm going to try a recipe that I found, `cuz I surely don't want to pay the price from amazon... $18.99 + s&h ...NO!
I'll wait until we go home in June and bring some home for half the price in my suitcase!
But yeah, TastyReuben it's very ONO (delicious in Hawaiian).

Back
Top Bottom