What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2024)?

I am enjoying the oat drink as much as I often drink the almond or soy drink, all without added sugar. I admit, however, that I personally do not intend to give up cow's milk or goat's milk because I like them. However, I have different needs at the moment and I will continue to alternate and find a good compromise later on.
I'm very curious about the spreadable oat cream, I don't know if I'll be able to find it here in the large-scale retail trade, but there might be a possibility in some organic supermarkets.
I still eat dairy, if it's not cheese then it doesn't cause me issues, tis Mr SSOAP who really suffers.
If I want real cheese I use milkaid drops, I find drops far more effective that lactase pills. I also find I have to use at least double to what any lactase instructions suggest for them to work.
Coeliacs generally can't tolerate dairy due to lactase being produced by the tips of the villi and that's precisely what coeliacs disease damages.

The spreadable oat cream is 'Oatly' it gets very mixed reviews but mostly thats about it containing hydrogenated fats and people not using is as an ingredient and trying to eat it straight from the tub, not something it's really fit for.
Creamy Oat Spread Plain

Just got home with blue cod $56
A bag potatoes $8 'got $200 cash out . Butcher coming around with a whole beef fillet. I'm expecting $80. ??
Daughters partners parents ( french) coming for last meal here. Fly back to france Sunday.
We will pick up mussels tomorrow. They all love seafood so bit of a fest tomorrow.

Daughter wife and eli will have croquettes and fillet steak.
I'm doing brulees for a french touch. We will see if they rate them.

Russ

I found some good bargains today in another city about 16 miles from where I live. I always try to find work in that area once a month on Thursdays for this reason: Earth Fare has $1.99 jumbo brown cage-free eggs every Thursday so I got 4 cartons today. They also had a 20% off email coupon that I used that was good for their produce (even the reduced produce), so I bought some arugula/spinach blend (nothing wrong with it at all) in two 5 oz. clamshell packages, some fresh organic green beans, and 3 green bananas, as well as some yellow corn grits. My total bill was $12.25 for the eggs, produce, and grits.

Fresh Thyme had large brown eggs for $1.99 a dozen and even though I had bought 4 dozen at Earth Fare (they had a limit of 4 per customer) I went ahead and got a dozen there as well since I won't be back down that way until mid-March and we eat a lot of eggs. They also had some digital coupons that I clipped on my computer before I left home, so here's what I got: asparagus for .99 cents a pound, blackberries for .99 cents (6 oz. container), baby back ribs for $1.99 a pound, and almost 2 pounds of jumbo king crab legs for $19.99 lb. My total bill there was $56.80.

On the way home I stopped and picked up a free large thin-crust pepperoni pizza from a coupon I got in the mail from East of Chicago pizza restaurant. Tomorrow night is steak and crab (already had the steak on hand), Saturday will be baby-back ribs. I really need to stop succumbing to sales and eat more of the food in our freezer...ha, yeah right!

Fresh Thyme.jpgEarth Fare.jpg

Just got home with blue cod $56
A bag potatoes $8 'got $200 cash out . Butcher coming around with a whole beef fillet. I'm expecting $80. ??
Daughters partners parents ( french) coming for last meal here. Fly back to france Sunday.
We will pick up mussels tomorrow. They all love seafood so bit of a fest tomorrow.

Daughter wife and eli will have croquettes and fillet steak.
I'm doing brulees for a french touch. We will see if they rate them.

Russ
OMG you've been getting away with bloody murder having seafood cooking in the house since your guests like it. You know that when they fly out the ship has sailed and the kommendant is not going to be as tolerant. Enjoy it while it lasts!

OMG you've been getting away with bloody murder having seafood cooking in the house since your guests like it. You know that when they fly out the ship has sailed and the kommendant is not going to be as tolerant. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Yeah shes bending over backwards to show we are good people. Back to normal when they go. Lmao

Russ

I rarely go to the Chacao market these days, probably because it's just too far away. However, I went yesterday because I needed some fresh chiles and some cumin seeds, which I couldn't find in the supermarkets.
As usual, there were some exotic - looking items there which I just couldn't resist. There were at least 6 varieties of chile, but the 3 I bought were the ones I was looking for. The olives - Moroccan dried black olives ( if you can find them, buy them. They're absolutely exquisite), Kalamata and Lebanese "black"olives. The selection of cherry tomatoes was outstanding, and the girl who served me said she could do me half a kilo of "mixed", so that's what I bought. And then I saw tomatillos. Ahhh! Time to make salsa verde for some chilaquiles!
Mixed Chiles 2024.jpg
Mixed olives 2024.jpg
Cherry tomatoes mix Chacao 2024.jpg
Tomatillos Chacao.jpg

ALDI & Kroger, and I had some stocking up to do for MrsT’s return tomorrow:

IMG_7718.jpeg

Pizza is something easy for me tonight. Fish is actually going to happen, apparently. I found a sautéed cod recipe from WW, and we’ll see how that goes.

IMG_7719.jpeg

IMG_7720.jpeg

IMG_7721.jpeg

Turnips and kraut - that alone should point to MrsT’s imminent arrival. First time trying ALDI’s taco shells. Also, hard to see, but those are black plums on the right.

More to follow…

Not bought but ordered today.
Friend is in invercargill for golf tournament . The best oysters in the world imho are bluff oysters. Bottom of south rd. To get a dozen from fish n chips shop $50.
I've ordered via a mate 2 x dozen. $35 a dozen.
Money well spent. :)

Russ

Apparently, Mexico is known for its vanilla. 🤷‍♂️
The vanilla planifolia is an orchid that is native to Mexico and Central America. It prefers to be about 1500 mts (4900 ft) above sea level, and in a humid atmosphere between 65-80F . These days it's grown all across the world, and some of the most flavourful beans are from Madagascar.
The word "Vanilla"is a corruption of the Spanish word "Vainilla", which is a "sheath" (originally for a sword or blade).
1709954497644.png

Back
Top Bottom