Recipe Überbackenes Sauerkraut (Sauerkraut-Potato Casserole)

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
9:03 AM
Überbackenes Sauerkraut (Sauerkraut-Potato Casserole)

Ingredients

6 large potatoes, cooked in jackets
3-4 tablespoons milk
5 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
1 pound sauerkraut
1 small onion, sliced
2 tablespoons grated Swiss cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 1-1/2 to 2 quart baking dish.

Slip the skins off the potatoes while warm, mash with milk, add two tablespoons butter, salt and pepper, and beat until fluffy. Spread half the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish.

Rinse the sauerkraut with warm water, drain well. Sauté the sliced onion in 1 tablespoon butter until soft; add sauerkraut and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Spoon over potatoes in the baking dish.

Add the remaining potatoes. Spread grated cheese and 2 tablespoons of butter over the top.

Bake, covered, for about 35 minutes, uncovering during the last 10 minutes. Makes 6-8 servings.

Recipe courtesy of "The Art Of German Cooking" by Betty Wason.

My changes:

1. I wasn't paying attention and chucked all five tablespoons of butter into the mash. That was a pleasant mistake.

2. I was drinking a beer while making this, so I poured a couple tablespoons of that into the kraut and onions while simmering. I also squeezed the kraut dry before adding to the fry pan.

3. I used half again as much cheese.

4. After the 35 minutes, it wasn't as browned as I like, so I stuck it under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

5. I used Yukon Gold potatoes for the mash, and I left the skins on for a more rustic version.

Here's the finished casserole, and a picture of it on the plate:
24B01E92-3B5F-4225-982A-FA85795A783A.jpeg

2A2EDEF3-71D1-400B-8EB5-42C823EBAF5D.jpeg

Thanks for posting the recipe. Its a new idea for me and as I love potatoes as much as I know you do I'll steal it use it - possibly adapted in some way.

DH cooked up the rest of a 5 lb. bag of Yucon Gold before they went bad. We have a big container of left over mashed potatoes. Also in the refrigerator is a big container of left over sauerkraut. DH loves cheese. Need I say more? A great big THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!

DH cooked up the rest of a 5 lb. bag of Yucon Gold before they went bad. We have a big container of left over mashed potatoes. Also in the refrigerator is a big container of left over sauerkraut. DH loves cheese. Need I say more? A great big THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!
Make sure you let me know how you like it.

My wife just asked me if I can keep cooking out of this book for a while longer. :laugh:

If the kraut didn't have caraway seeds in it, I would probably add some while the kraut and onions cook.

If the kraut didn't have caraway seeds in it, I would probably add some while the kraut and onions cook.
My wife, in general, doesn't like small seeds like that, so I usually will grind them down and add them that way, because I really love the flavor.

Back
Top Bottom