2019 Advent Calendars

If I were ambitious - which I am not - I would make small Advent Calendars for my great nieces and nephews. I love the idea. Not going to happen. I am much too lazy.
I did 2 this year. One for my sister (newly divorced and missing her (now ex) step-daughter but did manage to keep her dog, Bella, a shar pei. And 1 for us. I've just got to wrap all the chocolates for ours before the end of the month. My sister's is all done and delivered to her in the UK. Hopefully it will have survived her garage. Not much does.

At the suggestion of SatNavSaysStraightOn, here's the 2019 Advent calendar topic! I'll get things rolling with a recap of mine:

1. Our original wooden Advent calendar, probably 12 years old. Before this one, we just bought disposable pre-filled cardboard ones.

2. MrsTasty saw this one and liked it, so this is our new one. Much smaller compartments, so this one will go on display, while the original one will get loaded with treats.

3. Today, I picked up matching wine and cheese calendars from Aldi. This is the shipping box.

And here it is unboxed.

And the contents.

4. Here's the matching cheese one. The cheeses are meant to be paired with the wines.

And the contents (three of each cheese, I suppose).

Let's see your Advent calendar (if you have one)!

I had no idea Aldi did those wine advent calendars, may have to look into them.

We don't normally bother, occasionally treat ourselves but they are not a big thing in our house.

Well, my daughter is in the dog house with me. After all these years, she's lost all the little stuffed toys that I painstakingly sewed for the Advent calender, nearly 40 years old. Don't get it, you'd think they would be together. Anyway, here's the calendar itself. There are little pockets sewn on to put the little toys and small candies, coins, etc in. I can't believe how bright the colors still are after all these years.

Edited to add, she just found them. Hopefully she'll put them in and send me another pic.

Last edited:
Well, my daughter is in the dog house with me. After all these years, she's lost all the little stuffed toys that I painstakingly sewed for the Advent calender, nearly 40 years old. Don't get it, you'd think they would be together. Anyway, here's the calendar itself. There are little pockets sewn on to put the little toys and small candies, coins, etc in.

View attachment 35064

Edited to add, she just found them. Hopefully she'll put them in and send me another pic.

View attachment 35065
What a wonderful heirloom, and I'm glad she found the rest of it!

I just remembered how we used it, a little backwards compared to most Advent calendars. I'd put the candy or money or whatever in the pocket for the day and then she'd go thru the little toys looking for the matching numbered toy and put it in its pocket. So, by Christmas, all the pockets would be filled with the stuffed toys. Some of them hung from the bows too. Pretty and educational!

I just remembered how we used it, a little backwards compared to most Advent calendars. I'd put the candy or money or whatever in the pocket for the day and then she'd go thru the little toys looking for the matching numbered toy and put it in its pocket. So, by Christmas, all the pockets would be filled with the stuffed toys. Some of them hung from the bows too. Pretty and educational!

Brilliant!

Grain free may not be a benefit anymore according to a study that found a lot of dogs fed a grain free diet are developing heart problems.

My vet was telling me about that, when I discussed what I feed my cats (which is grain-free cat food). Since a similar study as far as I know hasn't been performed on cats (who are definitely obligate carnivores) and since Serenity has made it to age 18 - longer than any other cat ever in my life - I'm not willing to change for the cats.

Maybe for dogs, a moderate grain-lessening diet? Not totally grain-free, but some diet that admits some grains, but not to the standard levels of current dog food formulations? (Ie, mixing things up a bit?)

Back
Top Bottom