2019 Advent Calendars

Ah - I see. That's my kind of advent calendar. :okay:
They also do a beer one!

To the best of my knowledge, Aldi were the first place to carry these here, starting three or four years ago. This year...Kroger had them, as well as a couple of department stores. Looks like they've really caught on. I also noticed a lot more places online selling them.

I really thought they'd made candy (and bubblegum) cigarettes illegal (for promoting smoking among children), but now it's probably ok since it's a retro candy. :)

I really thought they'd made candy (and bubblegum) cigarettes illegal (for promoting smoking among children), but now it's probably ok since it's a retro candy. :)

regards candy cigs:

I remember those as a kid. They never tempted me to take a real cigarette, though at that time I did like the candy ones.

Yes, Morning Glory, they did have red tips. No idea now...

They did disappear for years - if they are back, now, I wouldn't know

Last edited:
Playing catch up...

Nice, but broken :crying:
They were coffee truffles.

Ok, these were from Hauges, a chocolatier that doesn't really do vegan chocolates so their range of dairy free options is not great. They were plum liquor but had a solid centre surrounded by a little liquor and then the dark chocolate. It wasn't what I was expecting and didn't work for me addy all.

Last edited:

That is really weird - here Smarties are sugar coated chocolate drops. What you have here looks like a tube of Love Hearts - sherbert sweets with messages on them:

That is really weird - here Smarties are sugar coated chocolate drops. What you have here looks like a tube of Love Hearts - sherbert sweets with messages on them:

View attachment 35439

View attachment 35440
What you all call Smarties, we call M&Ms. on Boxing Day, 1992, first holiday season in the UK, we fully embraced it and I made sugar cookies with M&Ms added in for the estate agent who collected our rent and kept up the house, the trash collector, and the mail carrier.

I used to love going to the estate agent's, because there were two older gals who worked in there who always made me laugh. I don't know if you remember the old Harry Enfield program where he had these characters called "Two Randy Wobbly Ladies," (their catchphrase was, "At your age!...At our age!...Young man!" after interpreting any comment by a man as sexual in nature) - they were like those women, minus the randiness. :)

I brought the cookies in and gave them over, and it was like this:

"Margaret! Margaret! That young Mr. Reuben has brought us biscuits! For Boxing Day!"

(From the back)

"Mr. Reuben?! Boxing Day?! Biscuits?!"

(Wobbles out from the back)

"The American, Margaret! From the detached house on Bramwell Close! <tentatively nibbles a cookie> Ohhhh, Smarties, Margaret! In the biscuits! He's put Smarties in the biscuits! How clever!"

"Smarties?! In the biscuits?! My!"

(Margaret takes a small bite)

"Smarties! In the biscuits! That is clever, Catherine!

"Smarties!"

"In the biscuits!"

(Together) "Oh my!"

That was how every interaction with them went. I'd come in and pay our rent every month, and it was always, "Margaret! That nice young man Mr. Reuben has come in to pay his rent!"

"Mr. Reuben?! To pay his rent?!"

...and it would go on from there. I loved those gals! :)

Oh, and those hearts have a few different names here. Most people probably just call them candy hearts, and you generally only see those at Valentine's. Some brand names are Sweethearts and Conversation Hearts.

Smarties here are tart, and a little more powdery/crumbly than candy hearts - they dissolve or fall apart very easily.

Back
Top Bottom