A plethora of lemons

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:40 PM
we have two Meyer trees at home. Wife picked a heap and left them on the bench got me. Cut and squeezed and frozen in ice cube trays. I use in my gin or other things that require lemons. I have the bottle stuff but you can't beat home grown.my samosas recipe requires lemon juice so I just add one cube.

Russ

image.jpeg

Love that little cart.

You are so lucky to have 2 trees. I have 2 large binders full of recipes requiring lemon juice/zest. I would go crazy with that many lemons to use up. What are some of the other things you do with the lemons?

Love that little cart.

You are so lucky to have 2 trees. I have 2 large binders full of recipes requiring lemon juice/zest. I would go crazy with that many lemons to use up. What are some of the other things you do with the lemons?

The grandkids cart, it was on the lawn and wife loaded it up. This year is the best so far for lemons, the oldest has been here about 10 years and only started producing last year. The new one is about 4 years old and is as big as the oldest one. I use a bit of lemon with Indian cooking. I'm planning a lemon cheesecake and some curd as well. It's winter here so I will do these when it warms up a bit. My daughter takes lemons when here as well, she makes a great lemon drizzle cake. It's real good.

Russ

Love that little cart.

I too have a lemon tree with masses of lemons available year round. I've given up picking them. I give away kilos and kilos of them every year. Any visitor leaves with at least a dozen lemons. I've no idea what named variety they are but the tree is over 40 odd years old. This winter it is struggling with a lack of water so we've actually built a levy around it which we are now periodically filling with water. filling it had so many lemons on it that it is doubled over with them. This year it may find itself getting pruned heavily just to help it through the drier months. Plus I'll prune the bottlebrush tree back and give it some more light and hopefully a little less competition.

I'm lacking ideas on how to use up so many lemons so would massively appreciate any ideas please.

we have two Meyer trees at home. Wife picked a heap and left them on the bench got me. Cut and squeezed and frozen in ice cube trays. I use in my gin or other things that require lemons. I have the bottle stuff but you can't beat home grown.my samosas recipe requires lemon juice so I just add one cube.

Russ

View attachment 31227

Love the photo! Envy you the lemons. Do you make preserved lemons? Its a great way to use up loads at once and they are SO delicious.

As I posted above, I do have a lot of recipes using lemon, and I would love to share them, but I don't know which ones to post. As far as Meyer lemons go, I found an old article from Cooking Light mag. (March 2011) all about the Meyer lemons and a few recipes. I will post the names of the recipes. If any appeal to anyone and you want the recipe, please let me know. Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata - Sparkling Meyer Lemon Cocktail - Seared Scallops with Meyer Lemon Beurre Blanc - Fennel Salad with Lemon - Meyer Lemon Curd Tart - Roasted Asparagus with Browned Butter. And then there are the 2 binders full of just lemon recipes. They are.....just kidding. lol

The grandkids cart, it was on the lawn and wife loaded it up. This year is the best so far for lemons, the oldest has been here about 10 years and only started producing last year. The new one is about 4 years old and is as big as the oldest one. I use a bit of lemon with Indian cooking. I'm planning a lemon cheesecake and some curd as well. It's winter here so I will do these when it warms up a bit. My daughter takes lemons when here as well, she makes a great lemon drizzle cake. It's real good.

Russ
Love the little cart. Adorable. I vote for the Meyer lemon Cheesecake. Since it's winter where you are, my first thought is comfort food like lemon roasted chicken w garlic and herbs, and little roasted potatoes (& Brussels sprouts).

Meyer lemons are impossible to find here. In fact, I've never had one I don't think.
That sounds interesting.
:whistling: Is that a hint? lol

The article also had this information: Substitutions - If you can't find Meyer lemon, you can use other citrus fruits. The flavor won't be as complex but will still be tasty. For every 1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice, try 3 TB. lemon juice plus 1 TB. orange juice plus 1/2 tsp. sugar. For fruit sections (as in our salad), try tangerines. For rind, just substitute regular lemon rind in the same quantity.

Last edited:
:whistling: Is that a hint? lol

The article also had this information: Substitutions - If you can't find Meyer lemon, you can use other citrus fruits. The flavor won't be as complex but will still be tasty. For every 1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice, try 3 TB. lemon juice plus 1 TB. orange juice plus 1/2 tsp. sugar. For fruit sections (as in our salad), try tangerines. For rind, just substitute regular lemon rind in the same quantity.

Yes - please do post it. Knowing me I'll adapt it slightly but I'll post the results if I make it! I gather Meyer lemons are not as sharp as the lemons I'm used to so it makes sense to use the OJ & sugar added.

I think they are only available here during winter, around December. I asked the Produce guy, when I couldn't find them, some time ago. He said they didn't stock them because people didn't buy them due to the high cost. Surprised me. Peel one and take a taste. Then you'll get an idea of what applications would be best suited.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom