Recipe ABTs

CraigC

Guru
Local time
10:21 PM
I don't use a recipe for these. I just eyeball the ingredient amounts. The proportions are up to you. This is a "Mexican" version. Many folks cut the jalapenos in half, stuff each half and then wrap each half in bacon. They just lay them on the smoker grate. I prefer mine whole and cooked up right.

Ingredients
Ripe jalapenos, cored and seeded
Mexican fresh chorizo
Onion, finely chopped
Pablano chili, finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Chihuahua cheese, grated
Chicken stock or water
Thin bacon strips
Tooth picks

Special Equipment
ABT rack
Coring tool
Drip pan

Directions
Heat smoker to 300F
1) In a skillet over high heat, add the chorizo, onion and poblano.
2) Cook until sausage is about done and onions are are soft Skimming fat as needed.
3) Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
4) Transfer mixture to a bowl lined with paper towels and let cool completely.
5) Once cool, mix in the cheese.
6) Stuff jalapenos with mixture, place in rack as you go and freeze any leftover mixture for later use.
7) Wipe the outside of each pepper with a paper towel.
8) Wrap the peppers in bacon strips, using tooth picks to secure.
9) Place rack in drip pan and place in smoker.
10) Add chicken stock to drip pan and close smoker lid.
11) Smoke for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, checking at 1 hour to judge doneness.
12) Remove tooth picks and serve.

WARNING: I am not responsible for the condition of your derriere the next day! I suggest a nice gelato for dessert!

Prepping
36788-albums1110-picture7233.jpg

36788-albums1110-picture7232.jpg

36788-albums1110-picture7255.jpg

In the smoker with the Beer Butt Chicken
36788-albums1110-picture7256.jpg

Done
36788-albums1110-picture7248.jpg

For the uninitiated, ABT is an initialism for Atomic Buffalo Turd. No kidding.

And yes, I prefer mine top down stuffed, not sliced in half.

Man I like those ripe japs so much better than the green. They taste much fruitier and sweeter. The place I bought them at must have stuck a ringer in with them. That was one of the spiciest japs I've ever had.:eek::heat:

Gotta love the extra hot surprise ones.
There's a mostly Mexican immigrant run market here that has bins of not-so-pretty chilis that blow away the perfect looking ones available in gringo markets. You never know what you get, but they all taste good despite the looks, and every now and again you get a nuclear one.

Grows hair where the sun don't shine.

I don't use a recipe for these. I just eyeball the ingredient amounts. The proportions are up to you. This is a "Mexican" version. Many folks cut the jalapenos in half, stuff each half and then wrap each half in bacon. They just lay them on the smoker grate. I prefer mine whole and cooked up right.

Excellent. I'll have to do these up some time in the future.

I make something similar to these but I use shrimp instead of chorizo, and I mix breadcrumbs with the cheese to keep it from oozing out. I do mine in the oven, as I don't have a smoker. I partially cook the bacon before wrapping and prop the jalapenos up with toothpicks before baking.

I make something similar to these but I use shrimp instead of chorizo, and I mix breadcrumbs with the cheese to keep it from oozing out. I do mine in the oven, as I don't have a smoker. I partially cook the bacon before wrapping and prop the jalapenos up with toothpicks before baking.

Oh, you won't believe the difference the smoke adds to the flavor!

Back
Top Bottom