Air fryer cooking

..awesome. Thanks mate - I'll give that a go and report in! :)

I'll add that air frying the chips is, in my opinion, slightly inferior to deep frying, however, less oil is used (and therefore less to dispose of) and it could be considered more healthy. Another reason why I air fry is because my wife moans continuously about oil splashed on the hob when I'm deep frying.

Perhaps Morning Glory would consider starting a new thread upon the lines of: "Air Frier (or Fryer) - how do you use yours?"

I'll add that air frying the chips is, in my opinion, slightly inferior to deep frying, however, less oil is used (and therefore less to dispose of) and it could be considered more healthy. Another reason why I air fry is because my wife moans continuously about oil splashed on the hob when I'm deep frying.
And the money saved by not using so much oil pays for the air fryer in no time. I do prefer deep fried as well but the air fryer does a good job overall. I wore my first one out after almost 2 years and got a different design for my second one...the new one is a multifunction appliance (air fryer, rotisserie, convection, toaster, and more).

I am very happy with my airfryer, it's the best kitchen tool I bought in years. It makes a lot of things more easy, and healthier too. I use it for sausages & burgers, snacks, fries,fish fingers, bake off bread and re heating things that I don't want to go soggy.

I was not an instant fan of airfryers, maybe because mine is a small one and couldn't do the volume of food I saw advertised, maybe I was not impressed with the false claim that you don't need oil, or maybe because its just not as delicious as real deep frying... but it is certainly more convenient!
Nowadays, wife and I use it to reheat foods which seem to work well with air fryers, things like frozen fries/tater-tots and various Asian appetizers from the freezer section of our grocery store.

I was never a fan of air frying until I bought THIS, the Ninja Foodi!! It's several appliances in one. But it's a truly fantastic air fryer using a powerful fan & super-heated air to bake foods to perfection with amazing results!! :wink:

I was not an instant fan of airfryers, maybe because mine is a small one and couldn't do the volume of food I saw advertised, maybe I was not impressed with the false claim that you don't need oil, or maybe because its just not as delicious as real deep frying... but it is certainly more convenient!
Nowadays, wife and I use it to reheat foods which seem to work well with air fryers, things like frozen fries/tater-tots and various Asian appetizers from the freezer section of our grocery store.
False claim? I never used oil in my airfryer? What do you need it for?

Most recipes require you to lightly coat/spray your food with oil "for best results" in the airfryer.
True, my Tefal Actifry comes with a green spoon, it's about a table spoon, which you cook the chips in. It's not zero fat, it's just a little fat. Frozen steak fries in it are excellent.

Some people say air fryers are just a gimmick and the fan assist over does the job already, but the oven doesn't have a stirrer moving the stuff around.

No airfryer here, although my wife is screaming for one.
I cook a lot of Indian/SE Asian food, so a pakora, or bhaji, or a vada ( a bit like falafel) or a Thai corn fritter is a big issue.
The only time I´ve eaten food from an airfryer was when my son did some chips (french fries). OK - no comment really. They were frozen chips from Costco, so he could just as well have put them in the oven.

Some of those frozen foods have a little bit of oil coating to prevent them from sticking to each other in the bag, but I hear you Windigo about frying foods that are already fatty, those probably don't need more oil.

What I have been hearing/reading is that air fryers are great for some things, okay for some things, and not good for some things. I think they were over-hyped by the manufacturers, which should come as no surprise. I think it is unrealistic to expect any one cooking product to do everything well.

CD

Back
Top Bottom