Air fryer cooking

What I have been hearing/reading is that air fryers are great for some things, okay for some things, and not good for some things. I think they were over-hyped by the manufacturers, which should come as no surprise. I think it is unrealistic to expect any one cooking product to do everything well.

CD

Guess it all depends on what you are cooking. It does a chicken very well. :whistling:

What I have been hearing/reading is that air fryers are great for some things, okay for some things, and not good for some things. I think they were over-hyped by the manufacturers, which should come as no surprise. I think it is unrealistic to expect any one cooking product to do everything well.

CD

My opinion to date. Air fryers are good for chips, roast potatoes, sausage, bacon, roast chicken and such like. Acceptable for meat or fish in breadcrumbs. Completely useless for eggs (just a guess, I've not tried) and anything coated in batter. I have yet to cook a beef steak and probably never will.

I can imagine that it will brown meat (cubed not minced) for curries or chillies but why "dirty" another pot?

My opinion to date. Air fryers are good for chips, roast potatoes, sausage, bacon, roast chicken and such like. Acceptable for meat or fish in breadcrumbs. Completely useless for eggs (just a guess, I've not tried) and anything coated in batter. I have yet to cook a beef steak and probably never will.

I can imagine that it will brown meat (cubed not minced) for curries or chillies but why "dirty" another pot?

Eggs would be best cooked in a frying pan or boiled in a pot. I don't know who would cook them in the air fryer at all!! I don't even cook them in the microwave because they'll explode, making a mess all over the place!!! 😱

Last edited:
Eggs would be best cooked in a frying pan or boiled in a pot. I don't know who would cook them in the air fryer at all!! I don't even cook them in the microwave because they'll explode, making a mess all over the place!!! 😱
Okay, GadgetGuy, don't you have one of these? I cook eggs in the microwave sometimes, they really come out quite fine. Of course one cannot cook a whole egg with an unbroken yolk in one, but they do quite well with scrambles.

1646345856798.png

Okay, GadgetGuy, don't you have one of these? I cook eggs in the microwave sometimes, they really come out quite fine. Of course one cannot cook a whole egg with an unbroken yolk in one, but they do quite well with scrambles.

View attachment 81800

I have the magnetic one that can be held to the top inside ceiling in the microwave. But I still wouldn't cook eggs in the shell in there!!

You can boil whole eggs in the microwave. And I usually do, if its just one egg or two. Recipe - How to boil an egg in the microwave
I was referring to trying to cook an egg out of it's shell in the microwave without it exploding, but it never occurred to me that one could boil an egg in the microwave! I guess the tricky part would be getting the inside to come out perfect since every microwave is different and I have my egg boiling stovetop method down pat. My husband is rather particular about how his yolks come out. For the longest time he liked soft boiled and now he likes them medium (jammy eggs).

MrsT has noticed that Weight Watchers likes air fryer recipes, so she’s dusted the cobwebs off her purse, undone the deadbolt lock on it, gave the secret password, and authorized the purchase of this 3-qt machine:

Dash

She even extended my credit to include the associated accessory kit and cookbook.

MrsT has noticed that Weight Watchers likes air fryer recipes, so she’s dusted the cobwebs off her purse, undone the deadbolt lock on it, gave the secret password, and authorized the purchase of this 3-qt machine:

View attachment 87827

View attachment 87828
Dash

She even extended my credit to include the associated accessory kit and cookbook.
I like the color, seems like it matches your retro hand mixer?

Yes, same brand. I think I’ve gone full-on aqua. I also have an aqua Dutch oven, different maker.

GadgetGuy has his orange, I have my aqua!
Yeah, aqua is pretty. No offense to GadgetGuy but that orange would give me a headache! Though plenty of Cleveland Browns football fans would love it.

I have some nice enamel coated cast iron Dutch ovens in various jewel tone colors: jade, royal blue, cherry, and yellow. It brightens up the kitchen for sure!

Yeah, aqua is pretty.
The truth is, it came in three colors; hellfire red and black. All the other small appliances in my kitchen are black, and I was just wanting a little color, I think, but it’s like that mixer broke the seal. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom