Air fryer cooking

Scrambled eggs for a burrito this morning:

Not to my liking at all, though it did look like the picture in the recipe, so I suppose some folks like browned scrambled eggs.

What’s worse…this took ages longer than a pan, some butter, and a stovetop burner.

View attachment 88067

View attachment 88068
Not to my liking at all, though it did look like the picture in the recipe, so I suppose some folks like browned scrambled eggs.

What’s worse…this took ages longer than a pan, some butter, and a stovetop burner.
Ask yourself would you make scrambled eggs in an oven, period. Pure marketing genius got someone who I suspect understands cooking more than 90% of the population. I bet you won't do that again. :)

Ask yourself would you make scrambled eggs in an oven, period. Pure marketing genius got someone who I suspect understands cooking more than 90% of the population. I bet you won't do that again. :)
Yeah, I think that’s a lesson in “I can do this, but do I really want to do this?” :laugh:

Right now, I’m just trying to figure out what this thing does, what it does well, and what it does poorly. So far, I’ve learned of two things it does poorly and nothing it does well.

The real test will be fries/chips, which everyone raves about - if that doesn’t work…well, someone at Goodwill may be very happy soon. :laugh:

View attachment 88067

View attachment 88068

That's a no for me. I think a microwave would do the [same] job and quicker.

Yeah, I think that’s a lesson in “I can do this, but do I really want to do this?” :laugh:

Right now, I’m just trying to figure out what this thing does, what it does well, and what it does poorly. So far, I’ve learned of two things it does poorly and nothing it does well.

The real test will be fries/chips, which everyone raves about - if that doesn’t work…well, someone at Goodwill may be very happy soon. :laugh:
I bet you could return it if you don't like it and get your money back.

But I loved the way it made fries/chips, onion rings, chicken tenders, fried shrimp (I know that's not something you want to do), and more. It really is best for fried foods, but make sure you spray the food with cooking spray so it has a better texture and mouthfeel. Actually, when I do fried potatoes/chips, I put them in a bowl and toss them with a bit of vegetable oil to coat them so they really taste much more like fried potatoes but somehow still not nearly as oily.

My main appreciation was not wasting a bunch of cooking oil everytime I wanted to fry something, not so much about calories or points, plus what to do with the used oil, and now with the price of cooking oil going up it makes it even better. I burned out my first air fryer after 2-3 years and because we also had a toaster oven we used regularly to toast buns/bread, reheat pizza, etc. I ended up getting that Emeril 9 in 1 air fryer that also is a convection oven, toaster oven, rotisserie, etc. and I am really happy I did. Combining 2 appliances on my countertop allowed me room to keep the KitchenAid stand mixer on the counter as well.

Last edited:
I bet you could return it if you don't like it and get your money back.

But I loved the way it made fries/chips, onion rings, chicken tenders, fried shrimp (I know that's not something you want to do), and more. It really is best for fried foods, but make sure you spray the food with cooking spray so it has a better texture and mouthfeel. Actually, when I do fried potatoes/chips, I put them in a bowl and toss them with a bit of vegetable oil to coat them so they really taste much more like fried potatoes but somehow still not nearly as oily.

My main appreciation was not wasting a bunch of cooking oil everytime I wanted to fry something, not so much about calories or points, plus what to do with the used oil, and now with the price of cooking oil going up it makes it even better. I burned out my first air fryer after 2-3 years and because we also have a toaster oven we used regularly to toast buns/bread, reheat pizza, etc. I ended up getting that Emeril 9 in 1 air fryer that also is a convection oven, toaster oven, rotisserie, etc. and I am really happy I did. Combining 2 appliances on my countertop allowed me room to keep the KitchenAid stand mixer on the counter as well.
I don't know how it's like in the US, but here in Portugal vegetable oil is so expensive that I'm doing my best not to use it at all. I treat vegetable oil like an expensive treat, like lobster or caviar :laugh:

Edit: for reference, sunflower cooking oil used to cost around 1,79.€ in Jan this year. The cheapest sunflower oil is now priced at 2,79€

I don't know how it's like in the US, but here in Portugal vegetable oil is so expensive that I'm doing my best not to use it at all. I treat vegetable oil like an expensive treat, like lobster or caviar :laugh:
Well it definitely has gone up in price, probably a 20% increase over the past 6 months?

Well it definitely has gone up in price, probably a 20% increase over the past 6 months?
Yep, I edited my post to add, sunflower cooking oil used to cost 1,79€ back in January it's now priced at 2,79€ and that's the cheapest one. Anyway oil isn't healthy and I'm good with using it less and less.

My main appreciation was not wasting a bunch of cooking oil everytime
That's mainly what I'm looking for, something to replace deep frying. I deep-fry things maybe twice a year because it's such a PITA, but I love fried foods, so I'm hoping this will be a decent alternative. Fries done in a conventional oven taste awful, even if they're coated in oil and thrown on a screaming-hot oily sheet pan, so I'm hoping this somehow magically works better.

I'm giving it every chance, I've only used it for two things so far, and things that I don't think I'd normally use it for anyway, I'm just putting it through its paces right now. Everyone I've talked to, from my brothers, to my nieces, people here, friends in IRL, they swear by their air fryers, and I'm wondering if this is going to turn out to be (yet another) case of my expectations exceeding reality. After so much positivity from so many people, I sort of expect this thing to turn out perfectly golden, shatteringly crisp fries with no oil in 1.5 seconds, and that's probably not going to happen. :laugh:

Fries done in a conventional oven taste awful, even if they're coated in oil and thrown on a screaming-hot oily sheet pan, so I'm hoping this somehow magically works better.

I'm giving it every chance, I've only used it for two things so far, and things that I don't think I'd normally use it for anyway, I'm just putting it through its paces right now. Everyone I've talked to, from my brothers, to my nieces, people here, friends in IRL, they swear by their air fryers, and I'm wondering if this is going to turn out to be (yet another) case of my expectations exceeding reality. After so much positivity from so many people, I sort of expect this thing to turn out perfectly golden, shatteringly crisp fries with no oil in 1.5 seconds, and that's probably not going to happen. :laugh:
I agree, and it does. It might take you a time or two to get it right, but please don't be stingy on the oil. Don't use so much that you start a fire, but keep in mind that it if you love deep fried (I do) you need some grease! And no, it's not going to happen in 1.5 seconds, but it is vastly superior than baking fries, been there done that. I do think that the frozen precut potatoes somehow taste better than fresh cut in the air fryer, do they freeze those things in lard or something? I dunno. We haven't done any fried potatoes in a long time, you are making me want some!

Fresh potatoes went up in price quite a bit recently here. Waiting for a sale...

TastyReuben love the color of your air fryer!! 🤩
Thanks! It's actually not my first choice, because it's an extremely trendy color here right now, and I hate looking like I'm following a trend (I'd rather be setting one, so how come there aren't any day-glo paisley appliances, huh? :laugh:), but I do like the color...I just would have preferred lavender, because it would match the kitchen better (not that this doesn't).

I treat vegetable oil like an expensive treat, like lobster or caviar :laugh:
"Honey, it's your birthday, so we should splurge a little! What would you like for your treat...double-fudge chocolate layer cake? Champagne sorbet? Mango-lime cheesecake? Anything you want...you're worth it!"

"You know what sounds good? A nice...big...bowl of...vegetable oil! And all for me!"

Yep, I edited my post to add, sunflower cooking oil used to cost 1,79€ back in January it's now priced at 2,79€ and that's the cheapest one. Anyway oil isn't healthy and I'm good with using it less and less.
I think moderation with everything. I really don't think oils/fats are unhealthy, I don't use sunflower oil so no idea, but I think a little bit of this or that is okay.

You should see how I use butter (a lot), you would probably faint!

Its OK for that - but not as good as proper fries/chips!

Me and Yorky use a halogen cooker which does a similar job to an air fryer but is more like an oven. It cooks sausages, bacon very easily and host of other things without adding oil. I use it a lot because it heats up straight away (unlike the normal oven) and doubles as a grill (broiler). I also cook pastry and bread in it. One thing I wouldn't use it for is scrambled eggs, TastyReuben!

If you want to cook scrambled eggs without fat then use the microwave or a super non stick pan. Beat a little almond milk into the eggs if you are trying to keep the calories low.

Back
Top Bottom