Air fryer cooking

I use peanut oil for deep frying. That stuff is like liquid gold as far as price. I strain it and reuse it a few times before I replace it.

CD
I use beef fat and always strain and store. Saturated fats are more (extremely) stable and don't oxidize like seed oils do, which I never use for cooking anymore anyway. Peanut oil is probably one of the least likely of the seed oils to oxidize, so probably a good choice if someone holds the belief that saturated fat shouldn't be consumed. Cheers

I'm in the market for an air fryer, although Im not going to get a stand alone. I'm not a fan of appliances that do "one task" unless its my dishwasher.

I use peanut oil for deep frying. That stuff is like liquid gold as far as price. I strain it and reuse it a few times before I replace it.

CD
I do the same, but I use good ole' Vegetable Oil.
I strain it well back into one of the same bottles that it came in and stash that in the `fridge.
I set it out for a bit to come to kinda room temperature before using it again in my Deep Fryer.

I strain it well back into one of the same bottles that it came in and stash that in the `fridge.

We bought one of these a long time ago but since we now rarely "deep" fry it's hardly ever used.

I like my air fryer and it gets used probably more than anything else in the kitchen besides the range. Mostly because I have three kids and we have frozen foods/leftovers a lot. If I am making a batter from scratch I'll fry in oil, but for small things that is way too much of a pain and a mess to clean up. So I will deep fry something maybe once a month, while the air fryer gets used almost every day. It's just a small convection oven, and as such is faster and more efficient than the regular oven.

Mostly because I have three kids and we have frozen foods/leftovers a lot.
That’s what I’m finding out when I’m going back around and talking to my friends and family - they don’t really cook anything in it from scratch. They’re using it mainly for frozen chicken nuggets, chicken strips, fish sticks, and frozen potatoes.

I don’t really make any of that stuff. 😐

That’s what I’m finding out when I’m going back around and talking to my friends and family - they don’t really cook anything in it from scratch. They’re using it mainly for frozen chicken nuggets, chicken strips, fish sticks, and frozen potatoes.

I don’t really make any of that stuff. 😐
It's definitely great for that stuff. I can't say I make anything from scratch in it besides maybe like brussel sprouts or something. It is better than the microwave for reheating a lot of leftovers, like fries or a tasty reuben.

Three batches (if you can call something so small a batch) of sweet potato fries:

This batch, followed the included cookbook recipe, so it’s sweet potato, cornstarch, and that’s it:
View attachment 88080
These are a definite never again recipe. Dry, limp, corpse-like color, horrible texture.

These are from following an online recipe, which included seasonings and oil:
View attachment 88081
As you can see, they look much better, and due to the oil and seasonings, they taste better, but the texture is still awful - limp and floppy. Nobody wants limp and floppy!

I stuck a few back in, cranked the heat a little higher and let them go a few minutes more, to the point that one started to burn a little:
View attachment 88082
Same taste as the second group, but these were tougher, and still not even a hint of crispness.

That’s sweet potato fries off the list. I’ll probably try frozen fries next.
Try some frozen ones. I know they have frozen sweet potato fries in the frozen section of most grocery stores.

When doing fresh potatoes, you really need to coat them with oil or they are very dry.

Back
Top Bottom