Air fryer cooking

I'm in the market for an air fryer, although Im not going to get a stand alone. I'm not a fan of appliances that do "one task" unless its my dishwasher.
This is the one I have. It's a 9-in-1 appliance: convection oven, toaster oven, air fryer, rotisserie, etc. We actually use it a lot for the oven feature, since it's big enough to handle just about anything I want to bake for the 2 of us (excluding freshly made bread) and it doesn't heat up the entire kitchen, which is really great in the summer.

Emeril Power AirFryer 360 | Replace Your AirFryer, Convection Oven

1658512195680.png

Emeril Lagasse Power AirFryer 360​

• 9-in-1 Air Fryer
  • Up to 70% Fewer Calories From Fat
  • Rotisserie & Dehydrator
  • Air Frying Accessories
  • Recipe Book
  • 1500W or Extra-Large 1800W

Last edited:
Ok, the French fry test, russet potato fries, seasoned and tossed in grapeseed oil.

First, I used the “fresh fries” preset - 20 minutes at 400F:

Definitely dry and overcooked.

Next, a batch following their manual recipe, 15 minutes at 320F:

Looks better, but limp.

Last batch, 21 minutes at 320F:

These are much better, no longer floppy, not terribly dry, but about the same as what comes out of the oven. I deemed them “acceptable” and MrsT graded them “excellent.”

Either way, they’re nothing, and I mean nothing like deep-fried, and they’re certainly not quicker, considering that fries for two people would require two 21-minute cycles, to keep from overcrowding the box.

That’s what I’m seeing as an even bigger drawback - it’s impossible to cook enough for two in this. The burgers we did barely fit two, and if we’d wanted fries with them, that would have meant another 45 minutes waiting on the fries.

I’m in the process of circling back around to the folks who extolled the virtues of this thing to see how they answer for the issues I’m uncovering.

No, you are not the only one. MrsT is trying to lose weight and she approved the purchase of the aqua space hog for TastyReuben's counter.
It’ll forevermore be known as ASH!

Funny thing, I’ve been fighting getting one, she almost got me one for Christmas, and then when she started pointing out all the WW recipes for the air fryer, I relinquished and got one.

What did she say today after I griped about the fries?

“I guess you wasted money on that, huh? I don’t even know why you got it.”

😐

Ok, the French fry test, russet potato fries, seasoned and tossed in grapeseed oil.

First, I used the “fresh fries” preset - 20 minutes at 400F:
View attachment 88138
Definitely dry and overcooked.

Next, a batch following their manual recipe, 15 minutes at 320F:
View attachment 88139
Looks better, but limp.

Last batch, 21 minutes at 320F:
View attachment 88142

These are much better, no longer floppy, not terribly dry, but about the same as what comes out of the oven. I deemed them “acceptable” and MrsT graded them “excellent.”

Either way, they’re nothing, and I mean nothing like deep-fried, and they’re certainly not quicker, considering that fries for two people would require two 21-minute cycles, to keep from overcrowding the box.

That’s what I’m seeing as an even bigger drawback - it’s impossible to cook enough for two in this. The burgers we did barely fit two, and if we’d wanted fries with them, that would have meant another 45 minutes waiting on the fries.

I’m in the process of circling back around to the folks who extolled the virtues of this thing to see how they answer for the issues I’m uncovering.
I had an issue like that with my first one, which was a Power XL and I think it was a 5 quart, which is HUGE. It looked like a big black egg. It was really great for fried shrimp (which I know you are just itching to cook NOT). Try a pizza in there and see what happens! Oh, it's probably supposed to be a frozen pizza, which I am not sure is something you can wrap your head around, LOL.

I did have enough space in between the counter and cabinets for it to fit, but the Emeril fits much better. And even though the Emeril is considerably more expensive, it just has so much more to offer, like I said before, when baking stuff.

The people who loved it all cook frozen food, that's what.

Oh dear - yet its a biggish appliance from what you say?

Re your fries: they look too thin to me? They are liable to get dry if cut that thin. Here are a few chips (fries) I cooked in the halogen oven (which is a similar to an air fryer). I par-boiled them first then tossed them in a little oil before cooking in the halogen oven.

Oh, it's probably supposed to be a frozen pizza, which I am not sure is something you can wrap your head around, LOL.
I got the accessory kit, which includes this tiny 5-inch or so pizza pan that fits in the basket.

Next to the pizza recipe for this minuscule pan - a picture of a full-blown 16-inch pizza! :laugh:

I don’t even know how I’d fit a frozen pizza in it, unless I cut one into slices ahead of time and cooked them one at a time. That’s nuts.

The people who loved it all cook frozen food, that's what.
That’s what I’m figuring out. I’ve heard back from one person so far. To summarize:

Before:
“We love our air fryer! It’s great for fries, and they’re just as good as a restaurant.”

Now:
“These are my fries, but they’re nowhere near as good as a restaurant!”
“Of course they’re not. Restaurant is better duh it’s a restaurant.”
“But you said they were as good as a restaurant!”
“Jeez, that’s just something people say. I just meant they’re good enough so you can make them at home and they’re ok.”
“YOU LIED!!!”

They are liable to get dry if cut that thin.
The recipe said to shoot for McD’s size, which would be shoestring fries. Mine aren’t even that thin. In the troubleshooting guide, having them to thick is one of the causes of soggy, limp fries.

I will say this - no way will I parboil and then cook in this, no more than I would sear something in a skillet and cook in this. The entire point (to me, anyway) is to not have all that fuss - it’s meant to be a convenient replacement for skillets and pots and pans.

Which brings me to another funny misfire. Part of the literature on this touts how you can cook things and not have a dirty dish to clean…but then it turns right around and says to wash the basket (which is two pieces) after each use. :laugh:

Yeah, I think the motor in those things is much larger than the cooking capacity. And my old one was rather noisy as well.

So email customer service and ask them to provide you with a return label to send it back for a refund...and then buy one that's box shaped and can do a heck of a lot more. Or not.

Yeah, I think the motor in those things is much larger than the cooking capacity. And my old one was rather noisy as well.
Yeah, it seems to be about 70% motor and housing and 30% basket.

So email customer service and ask them to provide you with a return label to send it back for a refund...and then buy one that's box shaped and can do a heck of a lot more. Or not.
I don’t have the boxes any more. I rarely ever send anything back, I just find someone else to give it to.

I’ll keep goofing around with it. There has to be something that it does well, and I’m determined to find it.

Ha - more from that person who recommended it. She’s finally copped to the main reason they have it is “for the kids” - they have two small children and they use it to cook their pre-fab frozen stuff. :laugh:

I will say this - no way will I parboil and then cook in this, no more than I would sear something in a skillet and cook in this. The entire point (to me, anyway) is to not have all that fuss - it’s meant to be a convenient replacement for skillets and pots and pans.

I totally get that. What's the point in having this so called easy convenience appliance otherwise?

I'm trying to remember if I ever cooked chips(fries) in the halogen without par-boiling. Well... of course I have, They were frozen oven chips which come out just fine! So one more vote for the frozen stuff.

Yeah, it seems to be about 70% motor and housing and 30% basket.

I don’t have the boxes any more. I rarely ever send anything back, I just find someone else to give it to.

I’ll keep goofing around with it. There has to be something that it does well, and I’m determined to find it.

Ha - more from that person who recommended it. She’s finally copped to the main reason they have it is “for the kids” - they have two small children and they use it to cook their pre-fab frozen stuff. :laugh:
I hear ya, but even though they are less expensive than other models, they still aren't cheap. I am a bit frugal so I wouldn't hesitate to send it back, and in my experience, you don't have to have the boxes as long as you have a receipt. Generally you just load everything in any box it will fit in, wrapped and secured with newspaper or brown paper, whatever you have on hand.

Keep us posted, it's entertaining for us, even if it's a little frustrating for you :banghead:

Keep us posted, it's entertaining for us, even if it's a little frustrating for you :banghead:
I do want to point out, I’m not angry, I half-expected this, which is why I didn’t want one I the first place.

Now it’s just that I’m locked in a battle of wills with an inanimate object. I’m determined to find something that it does better/faster than I can do otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom