Air fryer cooking

I do want to point out, I’m not angry, I half-expected this, which is why I didn’t want one I the first place.

Now it’s just that I’m locked in a battle of wills with an inanimate object. I’m determined to find something that it does better/faster than I can do otherwise.
I know you aren't angry. I suspect that it takes a lot to make your blood boil, and it wouldn't be an inanimate object that caused it. But you aren't exactly dancing on clouds, either.

Oh, another thing (and you’ll think I’m crazy and obsessed):

I watched a bunch of videos on air fryer fries, and all these people swear up and down about how perfect they are, and when they dump them out, season them, and eat one, there’s a noticeable potato chip/crisp-like crunch.

I figured out if I bite an otherwise limp fry just right, I can make it crunch quite nicely by catching the slightly charred end.

I think that’s what these charlatans are doing!

I didn't even think you were serious! What do you cook it in (in the air-fryer). I really can't imagine it working unless its like a coddled egg.
It’s more like a coddled egg. You put it in a little mini cake tin, then turn it out when it’s done.

I know you aren't angry. I suspect that it takes a lot to make your blood boil, and it wouldn't be an inanimate object that caused it. But you aren't exactly dancing on clouds, either.
If I have to fill that 🤬 basket with two cups of oil and heat it as high as it’ll go, I’m going to get decent fries out of this thing.

IT WILL BE TAMED!!!

Oh, another thing (and you’ll think I’m crazy and obsessed):

I watched a bunch of videos on air fryer fries, and all these people swear up and down about how perfect they are, and when they dump them out, season them, and eat one, there’s a noticeable potato chip/crisp-like crunch.

I figured out if I bite an otherwise limp fry just right, I can make it crunch quite nicely by catching the slightly charred end.

I think that’s what these charlatans are doing!
No, they are using frozen or they are coating it in oil. I like to actually spray my frozen ones with a bit of oil, too.

Oooh, one thing I made that we liked a lot was breaded zucchini strips. Again, coated with oil. I seasoned them with lemon-pepper and breaded them in a panko and parmesan coating. I think I dipped them in flour then in egg wash, then into the panko parmesan breading.

It’s more like a coddled egg. You put it in a little mini cake tin, then turn it out when it’s done.

If I have to fill that 🤬 basket with two cups of oil and heat it as high as it’ll go, I’m going to get decent fries out of this thing.

IT WILL BE TAMED!!!
For the egg, the microwave would probably work better. And faster.

I got the accessory kit, which includes this tiny 5-inch or so pizza pan that fits in the basket.

Next to the pizza recipe for this minuscule pan - a picture of a full-blown 16-inch pizza! :laugh:

I don’t even know how I’d fit a frozen pizza in it, unless I cut one into slices ahead of time and cooked them one at a time. That’s nuts.
Oh yeah, I can fit a whole 12" frozen pizza in my Emeril 9-in-1 and it comes out perfect (it has a pizza setting). I sometimes buy these little thin crust Jack's pizzas that aren't too bad (I always add extra pepperoni on them). It's something quick and easy for days where I have a big workload and want something simple and easy when I get home.

I know, you probably don't want to hear anymore about my Emeril, BAM! You just want to conquer your Aqua Space Hog. Well tell me when you figure out a way to make it fit on the counter in your kitchen!

No, they are using frozen or they are coating it in oil. I like to actually spray my frozen ones with a bit of oil, too.
All but my first batch of sweet potato fries were coated in oil. Even the nearly burnt russets were still limp in the middle. Crunchy on the ends, but not from end-to-end.

For the egg, the microwave would probably work better. And faster.
That’s entirely missing the point! There’s a recipe for doing it in the air fryer, so it must be done in the air fryer!

Otherwise, six months from now when I give this away, I’ll always think, “Maybe the one thing it would have done better than anything else is a mini-cake-tin sunny side up egg…I probably should go buy another one and test that out…”

Well tell me when you figure out a way to make it fit on the counter in your kitchen!
The thing is…I don’t want it on my counter, but I think it should fit on my counter!

IT WILL BE TAMED!!!
Have I done it?! Have I cracked the code?! Have I air-fried something that is simultaneously fast and delicious?!

I’ll let you know after I eat these, but they do look good.

Since buying the airfryer in September last year, I've tried many processes to try to achieve at least a similarity to deep fried chips. This included just chipping the potato and straight into the fryer, buying ready frozen chips, cutting and freezing them myself, parboiling then freezing them, part fying then freezing finally concluding that the best method was to parboil after chipping (about 3 minutes) leave to cool and give off steam, then bagging with a little sunflower oil and shaking the bag a few times (I may leave them in the bag for 30 minutes or so).

Then add to the fryer in no more than two layers and cook at 200°C for 5 minutes. Remove the basket and shake them around and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove the basket and shake again, then leave to cool at little. 5 minutes before I'm ready to serve I cook them for a further 5 minutes, checking that they do not burn.

I cut the chips about 10mm thick and fairly short to facilitate even browning.

Air fried chips with cod in parsley sauce and garden peas.

However, after all that, should I be cooking battered fish I will also deep fry the chips (may as well).

TastyReuben, did you look back through this thread and see this by chance? Those are some really great tips!

TR your poppers look amazing, yum!

TastyReuben, did you look back through this thread and see this by chance? Those are some really great tips!

TR your poppers look amazing, yum!
Thanks on the poppers. They were good.

Yes, I did go back and skim through when I posted about getting a fryer, but I’m not going to parboil chips first. I’m looking for this to be easier than the oven or a deep-fryer, no harder.

My next fry test is with frozen.

Ok, onto the eggs.

This is my wife’s:

Now, she was very, very happy with this egg, and that’s 370F for three minutes. It’s more over easy than sunny side up, though. She loves a crispy edge, which I don’t do when I fry an egg in a skillet.

How about that little teardrop of yolk hanging from the burger?!

My egg was the test case, so it went a minute longer, but it was still…acceptable:

I would not hesitate to do this again, especially for a breakfast sandwich, but I wouldn’t make an egg this way to eat on its own.

Yeah, it seems to be about 70% motor and housing and 30% basket.

I don’t have the boxes any more. I rarely ever send anything back, I just find someone else to give it to.

I’ll keep goofing around with it. There has to be something that it does well, and I’m determined to find it.

Ha - more from that person who recommended it. She’s finally copped to the main reason they have it is “for the kids” - they have two small children and they use it to cook their pre-fab frozen stuff. :laugh:

Almost everything my sister "cooks" at home comes from her freezer. For her, the air fryer works, as all she is basically doing is making her food hot.

CD

Almost everything my sister "cooks" at home comes from her freezer. For her, the air fryer works, as all she is basically doing is making her food hot.

CD
And she's a nurse (and from what you have said a really good one). It's interesting, isn't it, how people in certain professions don't always exude the image one would expect? I used to have a great mechanic when I lived in Florida who drove a jalopy and didn't change the oil nearly as much as he should have or do other routine maintenance. I guess he just didn't feel like working on his own car after doing it on other peoples' vehicles all day. Oh: and when I went to get my pneumoccal shot (from a nurse) she blatantly told me she didn't believe in vacccines and if she wasn't in danger of losing her job she would not have gotten the covid-19 vaccine. That kind of crap just makes me SMH.

Sorry for going off topic.

Back
Top Bottom