Air fryer cooking

Scrambled eggs for a burrito this morning:

View attachment 88067

View attachment 88068
Not to my liking at all, though it did look like the picture in the recipe, so I suppose some folks like browned scrambled eggs.

What’s worse…this took ages longer than a pan, some butter, and a stovetop burner.
Yeah, browned eggs suck. That's why my husband isn't allowed to cook them (stovetop), he doesn't have the patience to cook them low and slow.
One thing I wouldn't use it for is scrambled eggs, TastyReuben!

If you want to cook scrambled eggs without fat then use the microwave or a super non stick pan. Beat a little almond milk into the eggs if you are trying to keep the calories low.
Good idea!

If you want to cook scrambled eggs without fat then use the microwave or a super non stick pan. Beat a little almond milk into the eggs if you are trying to keep the calories low.
I'm reasonably sure that the very first thing I ever cooked in a microwave, back when I was a teenager, was scrambled eggs, because I was intrigued by the way they had you do them in a mug. I'll still do that from time to time, but usually use a pan.

Yep I cook my scrambled eggs on the stovetop in a non stick pan, no fat needed. If the pan is sticking to the eggs, just add a bit of water.

Fries in the airfryer don't taste nearly as good as real friea, but they're ok. I also tried making fried fish fillets in my airfryer and it was a disaster. What it does well is roasted potatoes and falafel. I haven't tried much more than these foods but I only got my airfryer 2 or 3 months ago anyway. It's a big, heavy piece of kitchen equipment and I'm sometimes too lazy to get it out of the cabinet and use it lol

It's a big, heavy piece of kitchen equipment
That's another of my negatives so far (actually, I don't have any positives yet!) - I have the 3qt one, which reviewers recommended for two people, and the thing is a monster! It won't fit on my countertop under the cabinets, it won't fit in the cabinets because of the shelves, so I've yet to work out where it's going to stay when not in use.

That's another of my negatives so far (actually, I don't have any positives yet!) - I have the 3qt one, which reviewers recommended for two people, and the thing is a monster! It won't fit on my countertop under the cabinets, it won't fit in the cabinets because of the shelves, so I've yet to work out where it's going to stay when not in use.
Yep mine is 1,5litres (recommended size for 2 people too), and it's massive.

Last edited:
I have the 3qt one, which reviewers recommended for two people, and the thing is a monster!
It's so big, MrsT has started referring to it as "AirFry-D2," like R2D2 from Star Wars, because that's how big it seems to be. :laugh:

I have this one

IMG_0625.JPG

I got this in May of last year and have had good and bad experiences with it.
So far my likes have been:
Frozen French Fries/Chips
Frozen Hash Brown Patties
Real Good Foods Co. frozen Bacon wrapped cheese stuffed chicken breast
Reheating left over Fries/Chips from a restaurant
Frozen Chicken strips and nuggets
Frozen Egg/Spring Rolls
Frozen Onion Rings
There are a load of foods that will give you cooking instructions with the Air Fryer.

Three batches (if you can call something so small a batch) of sweet potato fries:

This batch, followed the included cookbook recipe, so it’s sweet potato, cornstarch, and that’s it:

These are a definite never again recipe. Dry, limp, corpse-like color, horrible texture.

These are from following an online recipe, which included seasonings and oil:

As you can see, they look much better, and due to the oil and seasonings, they taste better, but the texture is still awful - limp and floppy. Nobody wants limp and floppy!

I stuck a few back in, cranked the heat a little higher and let them go a few minutes more, to the point that one started to burn a little:

Same taste as the second group, but these were tougher, and still not even a hint of crispness.

That’s sweet potato fries off the list. I’ll probably try frozen fries next.

Three batches (if you can call something so small a batch) of sweet potato fries:

This batch, followed the included cookbook recipe, so it’s sweet potato, cornstarch, and that’s it:
View attachment 88080
These are a definite never again recipe. Dry, limp, corpse-like color, horrible texture.

View attachment 88081
As you can see, they look much better, and due to the oil and seasonings, they taste better, but the texture is still awful - limp and floppy. Nobody wants limp and floppy!

I stuck a few back in, cranked the heat a little higher and let them go a few minutes more, to the point that one started to burn a little:
View attachment 88082
Same taste as the second group, but these were tougher, and still not even a hint of crispness.

I feel your pain.

I feel your pain.
Here’s the story of my life where buying small appliances is concerned:

I think about getting an item. I read reviews. If the reviews look good, I ask friends and family. Some quotes from friends and family:

“Yeah, they’re great! Couldn’t live without one!”
“I don’t know what I ever did before I had mine. It does everything!”
“It’s so easy to use, you’ll love it!”

I buy it, try it, and have less than stellar results, so I return to my friends and family. Same folks then say:

“I don’t actually use mine that often, I don’t really like it.”
“Oh, you can’t do that with it.”
“I stopped using it, real pain to clean.”

:facepalm:

More and more, I’m convinced they don’t want to be seen as the idiots they obviously are, until they’ve convinced me to join their ranks. :laugh:

View attachment 88080

View attachment 88081

View attachment 88082

I don't think sweet potato chips ever goes crisp; at least, not in my experience. And I also feel your pain. You probably need to make them a bit thicker cut. But I wouldn't bother. Maybe ask SatNavSaysStraightOn. She has them every week on Saturday I think. Not sure she air fries them though. But she doesn't deep fry them.

Ordinary potatoes will produce a better result than sweet potatoes.

As an assiduous student/teacher of English, any time something comes on to the market and is incongruous, I step away.
According to the OED (I would never dream of using a Cambridge dicitionary :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ) "to fry" means " to cook something in hot fat or oil", so the thought of cooking something in air makes me wary...:eek::eek::eek:

Yep, I edited my post to add, sunflower cooking oil used to cost 1,79€ back in January it's now priced at 2,79€ and that's the cheapest one. Anyway oil isn't healthy and I'm good with using it less and less.

I use peanut oil for deep frying. That stuff is like liquid gold as far as price. I strain it and reuse it a few times before I replace it.

CD

Back
Top Bottom