Air fryer cooking

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
11:20 AM
Okay, so I used my air fryer for the first time last night to make French fries. OMG this thing is amazing, those fries came out perfectly. I didn't take any photos last night, but I will come back and edit this post with photos in the future. The new fryer is so much better than that Power XL beast that I had before. I made some barbecue chicken sandwiches using some of the chicken I made in the crockpot the other day (I didn't use the air fryer for that). I put sauce on a large wedge of chicken breast and put it in a small cast iron pan on low broil to get a sear on the top. I toasted the buns in the air fryer/toaster oven, then used it for the fries, tossing them in oil lightly before cooking. I honestly would have thought they were fried in oil, the taste and texture were perfect. I love how there is a glass door I can see through and a light so I can check the food as it's cooking. The previous air fryer did not have those features. The new air fryer is twice the size of my toaster oven.

There's my new Emeril air fryer on the left, my old basic toaster oven on the right.

Last edited:
As for this recipe, nothing changes. I do have a small air fryer (an actual air fryer); I think the instructions would have me flip over the rings at some point. And, fair point about the mayo...but, I would have used the mayo for a deep fried onion ring anyway, so I actually come out ahead (though maybe not so much when I eat 20 of them). :laugh:
I like sriracha mayonnaise for a dipping sauce, have you ever tried it? It has a little kick and extra flavor that I like.

I am going to make your onion rings next week, but I like a white or yellow onion for that and I need to buy some more since what I have on hand is going into my chicken soup tonight.

I made breaded zucchini (courgette) fries in the new Emeril air fryer. I used some grated parmesan cheese, Panko bread crumbs, and Italian seasoned bread crumbs. First I lightly coated each zucchini section with seasoned flour (salt, pepper, garlic powder) and then into egg wash, then into the bread crumb mixture. I made a sriracha mayonnaise for dipping. They turned out great!

Last edited:
Air fryer potato pancakes:

I used 4 medium sized potatoes, 3 tbsp of mayo, 2 tbsp masa harina (corn flour), 1/4 tsp salt, a few dashes of ground black pepper, and about 1 cup of dehydrated potato flakes.

I boiled the potatoes (whole) first and cooled them a bit, the skins peeled off easily. I diced the potatoes and mixed mayonnaise and seasonings with a little masa harina, then formed them into pancakes, but I coated them with dehydrated potato flakes. Then I sprayed them with canola oil, flipping them halfway through. They were really good as a vehicle for fried eggs.

In hindsight I think they would have been better with some finely dice onion and garlic, maybe some smashed roasted garlic blended throughout and the white parts of green onion (AKA spring onion, scallion). I think next time I will do them like that. I cooked enough of them to reheat for breakfast for a few days, so maybe next week.

Edited to add that someone could do this in an oven quite easily as well, or stovetop pan-fried. I wouldn't recommend deep frying as I think they would probably fall apart while cooking, not to mention splatter and pop due to the moisture inside.

Last edited:
Air fryer potato pancakes:
I boiled the potatoes (whole) first and cooled them a bit, the skins peeled off easily. I diced the potatoes and mixed mayonnaise and seasonings with a little masa harina, then formed them into pancakes, but I coated them with dehydrated potato flakes. Then I sprayed them with canola oil, flipping them halfway through. They were really good as a vehicle for fried eggs.

In hindsight I think they would have been better with some finely dice onion and garlic, maybe some smashed roasted garlic blended throughout and the white parts of green onion (AKA spring onion, scallion). I think next time I will do them like that. I cooked enough of them to reheat for breakfast for a few days, so maybe next week.

Edited to add that someone could do this in an oven quite easily as well, or stovetop pan-fried. I wouldn't recommend deep frying as I think they would probably fall apart while cooking, not to mention splatter and pop due to the moisture inside.
View attachment 59613
View attachment 59614
View attachment 59612
Great, found it! Last week I opened a new folder on my laptop for recipes and similar, so it is getting in there...thank you!

Your zucchini and potato pancakes look delicious! We bought a Ninja 5 in 1 Foodie and love it. I have not cooked anything fatty in it like burgers or steaks as DH and I are the only ones who will eat beef but moreover to avoid the greasy mess. We have baked cakes and brownies in it too. Loving it!

Okay, so I used my air fryer for the first time last night to make French fries. OMG this thing is amazing, those fries came out perfectly. I didn't take any photos last night, but I will come back and edit this post with photos in the future. The new fryer is so much better than that Power XL beast that I had before. I made some barbecue chicken sandwiches using some of the chicken I made in the crockpot the other day (I didn't use the air fryer for that). I put sauce on a large wedge of chicken breast and put it in a small cast iron pan on low broil to get a sear on the top. I toasted the buns in the air fryer/toaster oven, then used it for the fries, tossing them in oil lightly before cooking. I honestly would have thought they were fried in oil, the taste and texture were perfect. I love how there is a glass door I can see through and a light so I can check the food as it's cooking. The previous air fryer did not have those features. The new air fryer is twice the size of my toaster oven.View attachment 59464
There's my new Emeril air fryer on the left, my old basic toaster oven on the right.

Looks nice, shiny & gleaming!! It IS by Emeril!! His name is on it. Save the toaster oven. put it away. Never know when you might want to use it again!! :whistling:

[Mod Edit: This post and several that follow moved to more appropriate thread (TR).]

Pan fried horseshoe gammon steak with air fried chips*, a fried duck egg and English mustard.

*The reason why the chips are even shorter than usual is that when I cut into one potato there was a big black nasty hole in the middle!

Your air-fryer chips look really good - how do you go about making them please? How would you compare them with a regular UK-style double-fried chip?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your air-fryer chips look really good - how do you go about making them please? How would you compare them with a regular UK-style double-fried chip?

Since buying the airfryer in September last year, I've tried many processes to try to achieve at least a similarity to deep fried chips. This included just chipping the potato and straight into the fryer, buying ready frozen chips, cutting and freezing them myself, parboiling then freezing them, part fying then freezing finally concluding that the best method was to parboil after chipping (about 3 minutes) leave to cool and give off steam, then bagging with a little sunflower oil and shaking the bag a few times (I may leave them in the bag for 30 minutes or so).

Then add to the fryer in no more than two layers and cook at 200°C for 5 minutes. Remove the basket and shake them around and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove the basket and shake again, then leave to cool at little. 5 minutes before I'm ready to serve I cook them for a further 5 minutes, checking that they do not burn.

I cut the chips about 10mm thick and fairly short to facilitate even browning.

Air fried chips with cod in parsley sauce and garden peas.

However, after all that, should I be cooking battered fish I will also deep fry the chips (may as well).

Last edited:
finally concluding that the best method was to parboil after chipping (about 3 minutes) leave to cool and give off steam, then bagging with a little sunflower oil and shaking the bag a few times (I may leave them in the bag for 30 minutes or so).

Then add to the fryer in no more than two layers and cook at 200°C for 5 minutes. Remove the basket and shake them around and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove the basket and shake again, then leave to cool at little. 5 minutes before I'm ready to serve I cook them for a further 5 minutes, checking that they do not burn.

..awesome. Thanks mate - I'll give that a go and report in! :)

Back
Top Bottom