All Things Picnic!

When we were looking at the table and chairs for our picnics, they were all upstairs in a place that didn't have a lift. The staff would not hear of me walking up the stairs and carted everything downstairs for us to try out. They appreciated that I wanted to be able to get the wheelchair under the table, not just close to it and lean forward. They helped no end and went out of their way to find one wide enough that I could get the wheelchair under. Then it came to finding a chair that had adjustable back support as well as neck support. They sorted all of that. I think it took over 1½hrs in total, and all of It had to be carried downstairs and then back up. They were equally helpful finding hubby a comfortable chair as well, never once asking him to go upstairs as look at the display! I couldn't thank them enough by them end but we had exactly what we needed. A wide table where the legs didn't obscure the wheelchair access, high enough to get it under easily and with no risk of me taking out the table if I moved the wheelchair. And a comfortable lounging chair that also fits the table (with mandatory beer holder in the arm! Lol).
I'm really glad they were so helpful, that's not always the case. And also thank you for letting me know that these things exist!

Kiwis picnic a lot in summer. Bbq are gas and fresh bread and tomato sauce/ketchup. Usually around water ( the groynes) or beach . We have always done them with friends or family. Grandkids love as well. I have 2 portable 1 ring gas sets. Takes 2 mins to assemble.

Russ

You're going to need to help me out here... what does this mean?

CD
I'm glad it wasn't only me that had to read that more than once.

Here, places like picnic sites, parks and other sites have free gas BBQs.

They don't go as far as providing free bread or ketchup though but I guess they might in NZ?

CD
Sorry, we have portable bbqs we take with us. About a 20 in dish aluminum.

CD

Sorry, portable bbq has a dish of aluminum about 20 in circle. 4.5 kg bottle gas. Sausys bread and ketchup. Heaven. We have parks / reserves everywhere . Groynes or spenser park are popular. Bbq is assembled in 2 mins. Plate and 3 legs. Simple.

Russ

We took lunch today atop a volcano, granted it has been extinct for several million years, but Beacon Hill still affords some great views on a clear day.

Korean dragon sushi to start

A prawn sandwich to follow

Finished with millionaires shortbread and washed down with orange & mango juice.

Other photos of the views in the 'Your Photos' thread

I have a picnic obsession and a collection of picnic gear that has its own cupboard its so voluminous. Tbh it’s a tad embarrassing how much I have 😬

I used to show dogs and the food available for coeliacs at these venues is non-existent or of very poor quality (and ridiculously priced) which sent a mild love of picnics into a major love.

I don’t use plastic as I prefer china, glass, stainless steel, tin and kilner jars etc .
I have a collection of tablecloths and napkins the right size for my picnic table which I will pick according to the type of picnic food I’m making.

I have gingham (in blue or green), cutlery from the 1920’s and a Fortnum and Mason hamper for thoroughly British fair. Or the whole collection of bright blue and white Labrador print blankets and cooler bags for a more modern Brit picnic.
I have chopsticks and chinese patterned bowls and plates for my Chinese picnic.
A gorgeous collection of french tins for my more ambient saucisson sec, cheese and wine job (with a leather wine and glasses carrier for the wine of course). 🤪
A dog printed cloth and napkins (which I had printed with a repeated brick print of my dog) and dog themed cruets etc for dog showing (before I decided I didn’t like show world).
I have more thermal containers/flasks than you can shake a stick at and a variety of coloured twines and ribbons for tying parchment paper etc.
I generally used a large wheeled insulated shopper as all this stuff = heavy.

I could go on but you get the idea. I get sucked into the picnic section in John Lewis faster than Flash after Ming 😆

I thought I’d share these with TastyReuben as they have been a boon on the picnic front, light and durable and very pretty museum collection patterned enamelled plates. I can imagine these being up your street.

Museum Collection Floral Tin Enamel Plates 26 cm - Picnic Festival or Camping | eBay

If the link doesn‘t work just google ‘enamel museum plate’ and some picnic delights will be revealed!

Last edited:
I have a picnic obsession and a collection of picnic gear that has its own cupboard its so voluminous.

I don’t use plastic as I prefer china, glass, stainless steel, tin and kilner jars etc .
I have a collection of tablecloths and napkins the right size for my picnic table which I will pick according to the type of picnic food I’m making.

I have gingham (in blue or green), cutlery from the 1920’s and a Fortnum and Mason hamper for thoroughly British fair.

A gorgeous collection of french tins for my more ambient saucisson sec, cheese and wine job (with a leather wine and glasses carrier for the wine of course).

I am officially in love with you now. Just thought you should know. :wink: 🧺

Well it was your beautifully observed writing about how you fell in love with picnics that made me fess up in the first place!

Yeah - the talented boy. I keep telling him he needs to get published.

I also love all that vintage picnic stuff. I particularly like Thermos flasks, The 'en plain air' taste of tea from a thermos flask is entirely different to that from a teapot.

Yeah - the talented boy. I keep telling him he needs to get published.

I also love all that vintage picnic stuff. I particularly like Thermos flasks, The 'en plain air' taste of tea from a thermos flask is entirely different to that from a teapot.
You would have gotten a “like” for referring to me as “the talented boy,” :shy: but you get a “love” for your observation about thermos tea (which is entirely true, of course!).

Back
Top Bottom