Recipe Almond Milk Recipe

JAS_OH1

Forum GOD!
Local time
9:25 AM
Almond Milk Recipe
Yields approximately 2 cups

Making your own nutritious almond milk is easy to do and takes only a few ingredients. Typical almond milk from the grocery store has additives to make it thicker and creamier, as well as preservatives to make it last longer. You can drink almond milk chilled plain, use it for cereal, or add sugar and vanilla extract to make a coffee creamer, or you can use it in a variety of other recipes as a substitution for regular milk, such as puddings, whipped cream, etc.

Things you will need:

Blender
Measuring cup
Fine mesh strainers
Cheesecloth or nut milk bag
Bowl or other large container with lid
1 cup natural raw almonds
2 cups water

Notes:

I couldn't find my cheesecloth so I tried to use coffee filters. That didn't work, as they tore when I tried to squeeze the liquid and pulp. I rummaged around the pantry and found my cheesecloth. I also double strained my almond milk so that it was smooth and silky. If I decide to make this again on a regular basis, I would invest in a nut milk bag.

It's very important to soak your almonds for 1-2 days before making the almond milk. The longer you soak them, the more plump and soft the almonds become, which makes for a creamier milk. You also should not use the liquid that you soaked the nuts in as it contains phytic acid, which can interfere with absorption of nutrients. I also reduced the amount of water for this recipe (compared to some of the recipes I have seen) to make my almond milk even thicker and creamier. If you desire a thinner milk, just add more water when blending the almonds.

Directions:

Place almonds in a bowl with water about an inch over the top of the almonds, cover, and place in refrigerator for 1-2 days. Drain and rinse.

Place almonds with 2 cups of water in the blender and pulse for about 2 minutes. Place strainer lined with cheesecloth over a bowl or other container. Pour the blender contents into the cheesecloth and squeeze the liquid into the container. You might need to do this in several batches. Strain a second time if desired.

Don't throw the solids away, you can use them in other recipes or to make almond meal. I placed mine on a lined baking sheet and put them in the oven on low heat to dry.

Store almond milk in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Keep in mind that homemade almond milk has a shorter shelf life than commercially produced almond milk since it does not contain preservatives and can only be kept for 3-4 days.

Last edited:
Back in the day when I was trying to make homemade vegetable yogurt I made almond milk a couple of times, and turned the remaining almond into almond meal which can be used the same as almond flour. I tried with peeled and unpeeled almonds and unpeeled almonds always created mold not in the milk but in the yogurt. By the way I don't know if the same thing happened to you but I had to change the almond's water if I soaked them longer than overnight otherwise the water got smelly.

My almonds smelled fine, I had a stainless steel bowl with a tight fitting lid that I kept in the coldest part of my refrigerator. I did drain and rinse them quite well.

Sorry to hear your yogurt got moldy, that must have been quite frustrating with all the work you put into it :(

Back
Top Bottom