An Apple a Day....

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:35 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
... keeps the doctor away, but the dentist very happy so it seems.

My husband has been eating 2 apples a day for as long as I have known him. I have often commented on it, then finally given up on it and let him be because he doesn't listen to me. Now he has finally been told and see the evidence of why it was only 1 apple a day, not 2. They are too acidic and have eaten away most of one of his teeth and made good in roads into another and he is now banned from them. The problem is that he eats them instead of snacks, and does not eat them with a glass of water. So the acid from the apples has stayed in his mouth eating away at his teeth. He now has special toothpaste on the NHS to try to minimise the damage to the rest of his teeth, and is banned from eating them (and pretty much all fruit) unless he eats them at the start of a meal and cleans his teeth afterwards!

He is also banned from all chocolate and sugary snacks and when he asked if that included his favourite dates was told that they were classed as fruit as well!

He also has to restrict the amount of tomato based meals he has which is going to make life interesting!

Seems he will listen to his dentist, just not his wife!

Wow this is crazy. Poor hubby! I never really thought of apples doing so much damage to your teeth.
I always thought of it as something healthy and good for you. Thank you for sharing your very informative
story with us. I am sure a lot of people were not aware of this either.

You learn something new every day.

The main issue has been too much fruit (he has always eaten a lot of fruit) and then not rinsing his mouth out to dilute or neutralise the acids from the fruit.
If he had had a glass of water afterwards or just washed his mouth out with something less acidic he would not be in this problem now sadly.
But it was not uncommon for him to consume 3 or 4 pieces of fruit a day, not to mention the dates we both so much love to eat.

Does your husband skin the apples? I read that store bought apples usually are coated with wax to extend their shelf life. Wax is not safe to eat right? I was surprised to read here that the fruit acid can be too abrasive on the tooth enamel hmmm I drink lemon juice everyday but I guess I do not have to worry because we make it into lemon water.

I would like to get my hand on the special toothpaste. I am especially interested in dental hygiene. I heard they replaced the apple a day with a banana. Would that be potentially harmful to the gum or teeth as well?

I like to hear when husbands are banned.............:)

Sounds like a rough situation for your husband to be in, especially if he loves to eat fruit so much. I am more of a veggie person myself, but I love a good apple every now and then. I could not give up sweets unless I was told that I would die unless I quit eating them. I would brush my teeth 5 times a day if that is what it took.

There's a lot of advice now about restricting fruit juices, which do the same thing. People think juice is super healthy and don't realise that they need to rinse teeth after drinking it. Its very bad for kids teeth, apparently (unless they religiously clean teeth after drinking juice). I've never been much interested in fruit or juice but my teeth have been in a terrible state in the past. Not because of the teeth being rotten but due to gum disease. Gum disease is the major cause of teeth loss (so my dentist says). The irony about the apples is that they help keep the gums healthy by the munching which massages the gums.

Just how much damage has been done by the apples and how much by the sugary drinks ?
He does not drink sugary drinks at all. We have very few sweets in the house (like none) and only healthy fruit bars. I have known him for well over 2 decades and his teeth were fine. He was raised in a family that didn't do sweets/sweet drinks. We don't do fruit juices and don't do squashes His apple addiction came from the allotment and the trees there. He has always eaten a considerable amount of fruit as I previously stated.

I'm a huge fruit eater myself but I have super super diligent dental hygiene (brushing, flossing, mouthwash) and still get cavities from time to time - and now you've got me thinking that maybe it's just the fact I haven't been rinsing my mouth out after the fruit I eat. I tend to go for fruit over other sugary snacks but now I'm thinking the fruit is doing just as much damage!

Apple cider is a vinegar so maybe that's the element that destroys the teeth. With that apple a day, I never thought that it can be unhealthy somehow, I mean the apple has a side effect of sorts. And I guess you are right in saying that anything we eat should be rinsed with water. Even when we drink soda, we still drink a glass of water afterwards to rinse whatever unhealthy elements the soda has that lingers in the throat or intestines. Now I know that apple has the acid so maybe we need to be careful on that.

Apple cider is a vinegar so maybe that's the element that destroys the teeth. With that apple a day, I never thought that it can be unhealthy somehow, I mean the apple has a side effect of sorts. And I guess you are right in saying that anything we eat should be rinsed with water. Even when we drink soda, we still drink a glass of water afterwards to rinse whatever unhealthy elements the soda has that lingers in the throat or intestines. Now I know that apple has the acid so maybe we need to be careful on that.
I think cider vinegar can help with certain types of arthritis

Back
Top Bottom