Recipe Anchovy and onion tarte tatin (Gluten free, dairy free)

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
8:17 AM
tartetatin.jpeg

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 onions (brown)
  • 2 teaspoons soft light brown sugar
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 very small chilli
  • 2 tsp cider vinegar
  • 1 small can anchovies

Pastry (based on this recipe https://www.leiths.com/how-tos/gluten-free-pastry)
  • 200g Doves farm flour
  • 100g fat (50/50 stork and pure)
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 15 ml almond milk
  • 1 egg

1. Heat oven to 180c
  2. Make the pastry.
    1. mix flour and xanthan gum
    2. rub in fat
    3. mix egg and milk
    4. Mix egg mixture with flour mixture.

3. Heat oil in skilled and place 1cm thick slices of onion at the bottom. Add salt and pepper. Turn down heat and cook lightly covered for 20 mins.
  4. Add sugar, thyme, vinegar, chilli and the oil from the anchovies and arrange anchovies evenly over the onions. Leave uncovered for 5 mins.
  5. Make into a ball and flatten to 2cm. Wrap in foil and put in fridge for 20 mins.squish pastry into a round to fit on top of onion mix.
  6. Bake in oven for 15 mins.

I brightened up your photo to see the topping more clearly (yummy!) - I can change it over in the top post if you want...

tartetatin.jpg

That looks great! I was thinking of using anchovy too! So the pastry worked? It looks as if it did.

Ah! Sorry. We love anchovies. I was planning to add black olives to make a tarte tatin version of Pissaladière, but didn't have black olive :)

The pastry worked out well, but it just needed to be flattened it into a round on foil and flipped over on top of the pan. Good texture (a little scone-like) and tasted nice. A bit pale but gf baking usually is. I'll be practising a Wellington over the weekend so i'll see if the pastry can be handled or not. Cooling it in the fridge I am sure helped.

Back
Top Bottom