Appetite stimulants ( what to eat when you're ill)

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
8:02 AM
Website
www.instagram.com
Dear cookingbites family,

As you know I've been unwell recently, and eating enough has become more and more of a challenge. This may not seem that way from the food I post , but that's usually my main meal or even only meal of the day.

I've been diagnosed as clinically malnourished as well, so I am seriously undereating. I am also noticing this while calorie counting, I'm generally eating about 1000 to 1450 cals a day.

As I am seriously ill, this is not enough. But the problem is that I have very little appetite and feel full faster than I ever have. So what are your tips on foods that stimulate your appetite when you feel unwell?

And does anyone here have experience dealing with illness and lack of appetite, or malnourishment?

(PS. Please no weight loss discussions or tips on this thread, we have other threads for that)

When my MIL went through a bout of not eating (dementia-related), the doctor mandated she supplement her regular diet with those protein shakes made for older people. Here, they’re called Ensure.

Maybe something like that would work for you, just to get some extra calories?

When my MIL went through a bout of not eating (dementia-related), the doctor mandated she supplement her regular diet with those protein shakes made for older people. Here, they’re called Ensure.

Maybe something like that would work for you, just to get some extra calories?
I'm already prescribed it's equivalent , it's called Nutridrink here. But there's no dairy free option ( I asked the RD), and it's been causing my stomach to riot recently.

But I was thinking that indeed maybe I should get more calories from drinks, and make some protein smoothies myself. I recently bought soy protein powder my RD advised. Maybe liquid food will be easier to get down.

I'm thinking of having one at the end of the day because I am usually no longer feeling any appetite from about 16 ish in the afternoon.

I get a vegan protein shake and make it up using 100ml of soy milk (or sonething called not mylk). There are numerous flavours, but my favourite is French Vanilla by a company called PranaOn. I am currently just having 1 of those for lunches because I needed to increase my protein intake again (health issues). 1 a day is fine. It comes with 30g of plant protein & making up with soy milk or not mylk adds in 6g more roughly using my current measurements.

PranaOn Power Plant Protein - French Vanilla 2.5kg : Amazon.com.au: Health, Household & Personal Care

I add in a multivitamin tablet that covers everything and an additional calcium (due to my known osteoporosis issues). I usual add in a vitamin C tablet as well if I'm having issues. It's hard to take too much of that. Several companies do vegan which I use. My preference is Solgar (American) or Swisse.

Perhaps you need to buy in from abroad?

I guess your other option wound be to make your own which is what I did before we moved to Australia.

It was ground porridge oats, ground nuts or seeds or both, frozen berries (made it cheaper with a good flavour ) and soy yoghurt with soy milk. You'll need a good blender/smoothie maker. This was from my nutritionalist by the way.

You can buy things like pea protein that found be added, it's very much like chickpea flour only it's only the protein. In Australia we can buy it loose in bulk shops out of bins. You might need to buy it online, but you can add or subtract what you can't have (probably the nuts and possibly the ground oats with too much fibre? It adjust the quantities to help with your issues). The smoothie is very adaptable. If I was making it now, specifically for nutrition, I'd use pea protein powder instead of ground oats for example. I don't add sweetness, I never found it needed, but you might want to add a tablespoon of maple syrup of agave nectar or honey or similar...

I guess your other option wound be to make your own which is what I did before we moved to Australia.

It was ground porridge oats, ground nuts or seeds or both, frozen berries (made it cheaper with a good flavour ) and soy yoghurt with soy milk. You'll need a good blender/smoothie maker. This was from my nutritionalist by the way.

You can buy things like pea protein that found be added, it's very much like chickpea flour only it's only the protein. In Australia we can buy it loose in bulk shops out of bins. You might need to buy it online, but you can add or subtract what you can't have (probably the nuts and possibly the ground oats with too much fibre? It adjust the quantities to help with your issues). The smoothie is very adaptable. If I was making it now, specifically for nutrition, I'd use pea protein powder instead of ground oats for example. I don't add sweetness, I never found it needed, but you might want to add a tablespoon of maple syrup of agave nectar or honey or similar...
I just bought soy protein powder last week by my RD's recommendation, used it in a smoothie today and yesterday.
Thank you very much for your in depth reply! ❤️

I'm taking vit D, cbd, ashwaganda, b11 and valerian supplements too to help with mood & wellbeing . And my Iron levels have recently been tested due to excessive bleeding , will get the results tomorrow.

Do cbd edibles that don't cause a high exist then? I'm not looking to stumble through my day giggling like a moron ( which is what weed does to me :wink: )
I take a low dose of indica 2.5 every morning at 8 a.m. It has improved my anxiety and moods at work...I haven't felt any heady sensation after a week..even then, it was so low it didn't really make a difference..

It is not clear if cbd affects our appetite and if, then it would lower it. THC is the one for high appetite
Yes, that's what I thought. Hence the problem with THC getting you high. As I'm already on Buprenorfine (an opioid) for pain, I doubt taking THC in any form would be good for my overall functioning in day to day life.

I get the idea for sure, but I don't think it's a very good choice in my situation.

I had some kind of stomach flu or bug or whatever it's called about 20 years ago and I chugged 36 grape and orange 12 oz canned sodas in 2 days, and wanted more, but I was too sick to go to the store. I had plenty of food but wanted nothing to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom