Apple Butter

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:37 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I got given a jar of something called Apple Butter a while back and was a touch dubious about it. I thanked the person concerned and put it in the kitchen cupboard and left it there. This is not like me but I have to confess I could not get my head around the concept. How can something even be called Apple Butter and be dairy free? In fact not only is it dairy free, it is gluten free, fat free and has no added sugar.
Apple-Butter-Colour-Options-2.jpg

And it is truly delicious. I tried it yesterday whilst having one of those days where I clear the cupboards out again. Do I feed it to the sourdough starter when I want to make it grow, or do I just empty the jar and recycle it - one of those days. Well I had to try it first and was truly taken back. There are 3 ingredients, apples, pears and dates. In reality it consists of more pears than apples but tastes of apples... so I guess that is why it is called apple butter - actually I am still having issues with the word butter, but...

Bekaert's Apple Butter
http://www.biscuitbutter.com/e-shop/14-applebutter-506037395001.html

Now I guess other than using it as a 'jam' on bread, I could mix it with tahini in place of grape molasses or date molasses. But I am stuck as to what else I can really use it with. Pancakes, or drop scones are an option, but we usually only put lemon and sugar on (UK) pancakes and drop scones we eat as they are, so it would have to be used instead of sugar. Anyone else ever come across it or have ideas on how to use it please?

I've had it on a trip to Belgium ,it was a darker jam,a good use for it is fruit leather

I've just researched the recipe ,I'm going to have a stab,you make the puree and then cook at a low heat for a few hours:chef:

I have always thought it was called apple butter because it is used instead of the butter on toast or something. My mother used to get this sometimes for us and we put it on English muffins. I can't afford it now, but it was truly the best spread I have ever had. If I could afford it, I would by it as not other jams really come close to how good this is. If only I had the equipment to make my own. Maybe someday.

Coincidentally, I was watching a Hairy Bikers programme yesterday where they visited Jersey and showed Black Butter being made. It seems to be the same as Apple Butter. Here's a link to a Jersey webpage which describes it (there's also a video) http://www.jersey.com/english/eatingout/foodies/pages/black-butter.aspx
thanks for the link but i don't think i got a pan large enough..:okay:
i wonder if there was a Portuguese influence,due to the amount of workers from Portugal,I love Jersey we used to there a lot when my boys were small ,my eldest lads first experience of sand was at Corbiere he tried to eat the sand,but the Island has some great food with the boat trip to France so quick.
we often go to Granville in France and the ferry to Jersey is about 25 euros

My mom has a few apple trees so when she gets a lot of apples, she makes applesauce and then uses some of the sauce to make apple butter. I believe she makes both in her crockpot, then cans it into mason jars and stores it in the pantry. I'll have to get her recipe from her, but I'm sure it can be found with an Internet search.

I have never had Apple Butter though I have heard plenty about it. I was recently given a bunch of apples and I was wondering what I could do with them all. You can only eat so many apples and I would hate to see them go to waste. I have googled some recipes for apple butter and I think I am going to give it a try. I love anything that is apple flavored so I figure I can't go wrong. Thanks for posting this!!

Back
Top Bottom