Recipe Apple Butter

The second attempt looks like this.

DSC_0685.JPG

I used 8 conference pears (were on offer in tescos), 1 cooking apple left over from my jam making, and 4 eating apples left over from the previous week which were very ripe.

I just chopped the lot up and put them in a pan with a 1/2 pint of water and brought the lot up to boil and simmered until they are totally soft and disintegrating. Leave the skins on, it's where the flavour is. Leave the core and pips in, it's where the pectin is. The only things removed were labels and the stalks. Once everything was well cooked, it was taken off the heat and allowed to cool a touch before passing it through a sieve. There was surprisingly little that didn't go through the sieve. At this stage it is absolutely essential to put the whole lot through a liquidiser (blender) otherwise it will be really gritty from the pear fruit crystals. I also added 2 generous dessert spoons of date syrup at this point. The approach being a hot dessent spoon and as much date syrup that will stay on it from jar to bowl, twice!

Then it was into the oven at gas 2, stirring every hour or so until it was a thick rich toffee colour and tasted slightly treacley. I think it took around 5boots but I was using the deep container again not a shallow one because I had to go and pick my husband up from work on a Friday evening crossing a motorway that had problems on it!

Before it went into the oven, there was around 5-6 cups in volume. It made 2 1/2 jars but these jars are 450g size jars.

The second attempt looks like this.

View attachment 1838

I used 8 conference pears (were on offer in tescos), 1 cooking apple left over from my jam making, and 4 eating apples left over from the previous week which were very ripe.

I just chopped the lot up and put them in a pan with a 1/2 pint of water and brought the lot up to boil and simmered until they are totally soft and disintegrating. Leave the skins on, it's where the flavour is. Leave the core and pips in, it's where the pectin is. The only things removed were labels and the stalks. Once everything was well cooked, it was taken off the heat and allowed to cool a touch before passing it through a sieve. There was surprisingly little that didn't go through the sieve. At this stage it is absolutely essential to put the whole lot through a liquidiser (blender) otherwise it will be really gritty from the pear fruit crystals. I also added 2 generous dessert spoons of date syrup at this point. The approach being a hot dessent spoon and as much date syrup that will stay on it from jar to bowl, twice!

Then it was into the oven at gas 2, stirring every hour or so until it was a thick rich toffee colour and tasted slightly treacley. I think it took around 5boots but I was using the deep container again not a shallow one because I had to go and pick my husband up from work on a Friday evening crossing a motorway that had problems on it!

Before it went into the oven, there was around 5-6 cups in volume. It made 2 1/2 jars but these jars are 450g size jars.

I like that cute little jar of apple butter! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom