Are your Kitchen Appliances Trying to kill You?

The main thing I got from that article is that stupid people should stay out of the kitchen. If more than one of the things mentioned happens, they should probably not drive a car... at least not anywhere near me.

The one kitchen tool I know for sure wants to at least cause me intense pain for several days is a %$#*&@ mandolin. It would take some serious effort on my part to be killed by a mandolin, but I only need to cut a fingertip off two times to know I shouldn't use one. One time should have been enough, but I fell victim to the thought, "Surely, it can't happen again."

CD

Could this be true? Ever get the feeling that you might be killed by your own kitchen appliances? Sounds really strange, but could there be some truth behind it?!! Click on the link below to see. :eek:

Kitchen Appliances That Are Trying To Kill You - Mashed
Well much of that is sheer stupidity on the part of the user, lol. And yes, I empty out my water in my coffee maker reservoir daily and run vinegar through it a few times a year. I've never seen roaches here...yuck. Occasionally I've had fruit flies in my houseplants but thats about it, and that was short lived. But people using their fingers to dislodge food from plugged in appliances is dumb!

Last edited:
The one kitchen tool I know for sure wants to at least cause me intense pain for several days is a %$#*&@ mandolin. It would take some serious effort on my part to be killed by a mandolin, but I only need to cut a fingertip off two times to know I shouldn't use one. One time should have been enough, but I fell victim to the thought, "Surely, it can't happen again."

CD
Yeah, I bought the one with the cut-resistant glove but I  still won't use it. I've watched enough speed cooking contest shows to realize it's not for me.

Keurig - ours had a reminder message that popped up about cleaning, so that was an easy one to remember. I did prick my finger on the little needle thingy the very first time I deep-cleaned one, because I didn’t know it was in there.

Even I’m not dumb enough to stick my finger in a stick blender that’s still plugged in. I wouldn’t do that anyway, because I don’t like goopy stuff touching my fingers, so I just consider anything stuck in there the cost of doing business.

Microwaves - I used to poo-poo the old boiling water story, until it saw it happen first-hand at work. Now I don’t do that any more.

Toasters - I do clean the crumb tray out occasionally, but I don’t obsess about it.

Fingers/hair in a mixer - yeah, that’s on you if that happens.

My slow cooker, if anything, overheats my food! It boils on the low setting!

I don’t even use our disposal, as we’re on a septic system, and we’ve never had roaches. The infestation we get a couple of times a year is ants, and those liquid traps take care of that in short order.

I have microwaved water in the microwave many times. If you have a basic understanding of physics, it is not dangerous. Super heated water can't happen flashing to steam can't happen if there is something in the water to bring the water to a boil without suddenly flashing to steam. That can be something as simple as air bubbles, something that the aerator on your faucet can supply. You could also drop in a few grains of salt. That provided a catalyst for boiling. The other thin is to use a vessel that is wider at the top than at the bottom. If your super-heated water flashes to steam, it won't be violent like if the water flashes to steam in a bottle with a narrow neck.

CD

Kitchen appliances trying to kill you eh?

My mom had a pressure cooker go bad, we never found out what part failed, because the damn thing exploded. It was the old style pressure cooker that goes on the stove. Thankfully nobody was hurt as my mom had stepped away from the kitchen to take a phone call. It was the top that blew off and there were bits of broken handle on the floor, and a crap ton of beef oxtail and oil on the ceiling :laugh: which was NOT fun to clean up :headshake:
I have only had electric pressure cookers since then. Many more safety mechanisms in these modern instapots and such.

I did have a soda stream machine explode on me (the bottle, thankfully, not the CO2 cannister) but it was my fault for adding vodka to the water I was trying to carbonate :oops:

Well much of that is sheer stupidity on the part of the user, lol. And yes, I empty out my water in my coffee maker reservoir daily and run vinegar through it a few times a year. I've never seen roaches here...yuck. Occasionally I've had fruit flies in my houseplants but thats about it, and that was short lived. But people using their fingers to dislodge food from plugged in appliances is dumb!

It has been said that if you use vinegar to clean the coffee maker, that the clean water that you put back into the tank, it could make the coffee taste like vinegar. Just saying. But I'm not making this up, it is what I heard. :eek:

The main thing I got from that article is that stupid people should stay out of the kitchen. If more than one of the things mentioned happens, they should probably not drive a car... at least not anywhere near me.

CD

Hah!! That is like buying something for the kitchen or anywhere in the house, then some may think to themselves is: "I don't need to read any instruction manual. I know how to do it without reading about it. I don't need that!!!!" Then something dangerous or disastrous happens because they did not read the instruction manual first. They get on the phone to inquire about what went wrong: "Did you read the instruction manual first?" "No I didn't. I just thought that I knew how to use it." "Well, we can't take the thing back, since you never read the instructions first". Then they're screwed out of whatever they paid for it. READ THE INSTRUCTIUON MANUAL FIRST!!!! :whistling:

It has been said that if you use vinegar to clean the coffee maker, that the clean water that you put back into the tank, it could make the coffee taste like vinegar. Just saying. But I'm not making this up, it is what I heard. :eek:
You have to run a cleansing cycle through after the vinegar (or cleaning product) routine.

My old Keurig, for example, required 12 (I think) brewing cycles (so the same as brewing 12 large mugs of coffee) to flush the cleaning agent completely through.

Obviously I run water through it multiple times before making any coffee, and I smell the water after running the brewing cycles to make sure it has 0 odor. Believe it or not, I am not stupid. My coffee does not taste like vinegar.

Even I’m not dumb enough to stick my finger in a stick blender that’s still plugged in. I wouldn’t do that anyway, because I don’t like goopy stuff touching my fingers, so I just consider anything stuck in there the cost of doing business.
I have silicon tools of varying sizes that I use to scrape things out of/off of items like that, but even still, I make sure that they are not plugged in! I hate gunky stuff on my fingers as well, which is why when I am prepping and cutting meats I usually have a food prep glove on one hand and cut with the other.

Obviously I run water through it multiple times before making any coffee, and I smell the water after running the brewing cycles to make sure it has 0 odor. Believe it or not, I am not stupid. My coffee does not taste like vinegar.

JAS_OH1, Please understand that I'm in no way saying that you're stupid. I'd NEVER call anyone that here!! But you gotta believe that there are some people whom you'd think WERE stupid because of the things that they'd do. I bought THIS to keep on hand so that when it IS time to clean the Keurig, I'll have it already. :whistling:
Affresh Coffee Maker Cleaner..jpg

Last edited:
JAS_OH1, Please understand that I'm in no way saying that you're stupid. But you gotta believe that there are some people whom you'd think WERE stupid because of the things that they'd do. I bought THIS to keep on hand so that when it IS time to clean the Keurig, I'll have it already. :whistling: View attachment 98632
Understood. I just do the vinegar because it's so much cheaper (about $3 a gallon) and it works really well. I've been doing it for about a decade now. Yeah, I do have to flush out the coffee maker (mine is a brand called iCoffee) to get the vinegar odor out but since we have a well, water only costs as much as the electricity used to pump it.

Vinegar is also a better substitute than Windex for cleaning mirrors, windows, etc. I also use it to shine my stove, dishwasher, and microwave. It's antimicrobial and non-toxic, too, as opposed to ammonia-based cleaners.

Back
Top Bottom