Asian Cuisine.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
1:28 AM
I'm a big fan of Chinese cuisine.

But I'm very picky about which Chinese place that I dine at. The trick is, for me, I try to find a good one & stick with it. That way, you know that you are getting good food & your money's worth!!

But what I'd like to know is why did Chinese restaurants stop giving out rolls with meals? Does anyone know why? or has anyone noticed this at all? :headshake:

Locals here are not big bread fans so not surprisingly rolls are not served here.

However, they do appear to be partial to ice cream sandwiches (made with sweet bread).

ice-cream-sundae.jpg

I have always been partial to chop suey and chow mein but I guess because it's American-Chinese not many restaurants sell them here. I have to make my own.

Chicken Chop Suey.

Chicken Chow Mein.

@morning glory : when you have a little time could you please replace the dead photobucket link in the chow mein recipe with this image? T.Y.

Chicken chow mein 2.jpg

Last edited:
Done - no problem. But you should be able to edit the post yourself? Or is it that the post is too old to edit?

Thanks.

It looks like it's too old for me to edit. Over a year is maybe the cut off period?

Asian cuisine covers a wide spectrum of cuisines. I like a little of each, but lean heavily on Thai and Korean. Like so many other restaurants we have been to, very few have food we consider to be better than we can make at home. I have had very little Indian food and the only Indian restaurant I have ever been to was in New Zealand. I would like to try more of it, but with some bad experiences in other ethnic restaurants and little knowledge of the cuisine, I wouldn't know where to begin. We have made butter chicken and papadoms. Karen has made naan. Maybe we can start looking into it. A cook-a-long maybe?

I have had very little Indian food and the only Indian restaurant I have ever been to was in New Zealand. I would like to try more of it, but with some bad experiences in other ethnic restaurants and little knowledge of the cuisine, I wouldn't know where to begin. We have made butter chicken and papadoms. Karen has made naan. Maybe we can start looking into it. A cook-a-long maybe?

Indian food is one ethnic cuisine which I do know a lot about - as do quite a few others here. Its not that surprising as Indian restaurants are plentiful in every town, city and even villages in the UK. I think there are over a dozen in Maidstone! We could certainly choose an Indian dish for the next Cookalong. I think some have been suggested before but not chosen. I'll add a few to the list when the current Cookalong comes to an end.

We have very few, if any, authentic Indian restaurants outside of the main tourists centres - and we are not one.

My unfortunate experiences with UK Indian restaurants in the late 70s led me to give them a wide berth. Then I was required to spend some time in India (Delhi and Bombay) and discovered that Indian food was far superior to anything that I had experienced in the UK in the 70's. Upon returning to UK, I proceeded to start cooking my own Indian food (with the help of Madhur Jaffrey) and I've not looked back since.

(As far as I am aware the quality and authenticity of Indian restaurant food in the UK since my time there is far superior).

We have very few, if any, authentic Indian restaurants outside of the main tourists centres - and we are not one.

My unfortunate experiences with UK Indian restaurants in the late 70s led me to give them a wide berth. Then I was required to spend some time in India (Delhi and Bombay) and discovered that Indian food was far superior to anything that I had experienced in the UK in the 70's. Upon returning to UK, I proceeded to start cooking my own Indian food (with the help of Madhur Jaffrey) and I've not looked back since.

(As far as I am aware the quality and authenticity of Indian restaurant food in the UK since my time there is far superior).

The rumor I had always heard about Indian food in the UK was that it had been toned down or changed for the British palate. That is like much of the Chinese food here that has been modified for our palates. So, today the food is much closer to the Indian palate?

We shall be making Indian/Chinese spring rolls in the coming week. I shall post the recipe at the time.

What Madhur Jaffrey book would someone suggest for a beginner?

I can only recommend the one with which I started (it may have been her first). The cover may be different in different countries.

madhur cooking.jpg

That is not my image - I pulled it off the net.

I shall ask a UK resident to comment on that one.

I would say that the food was toned down in the 70s but in the 90s it became a macho thing to get the hottest curry possible so inauthentic really hot curry. With lots of lager. You do still get takeaways that just have a pot of sauce they mix with your chosen protein, but you can also get very good curry. some of the best in the country are not too far from us.

I'm lucky I have been taught to cook 'Asian' food by a Pakistani and a Chinese friend so I can cook the basics in a 'home cooking' way. Now I need to make a Vietnamese and a Korean friend, oh and a Thai friend.

the food I like when eating out are things I struggle to make, so sushi and dim sum (I've tried for the challenge, but you cant make loads of different ones and enjoy eating them at the same time).

Back
Top Bottom