Recipe Asian style Beef with Noodles and Pickled Red Eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:00 PM
The current ingredient for the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge is ground (minced) beef. So... I thought I'd try and turn this everyday ingredient into something a bit exotic. This recipe is inspired by Vietnamese and Chinese cooking. The Chinese make red eggs to celebrate the birth of a new child but the eggs aren't pickled - just dyed with red food colouring. In Vietnam there is a famous pork dish which incorporates hard boiled eggs, cooked in a sauce containing soy sauce until the eggs turn a dark mahogany. My thinking here was to combine the sweet sour taste of the beef with the sweet sour pickled egg. You could serve this without the pickled eggs of course, but I love the colours!

IMGP0341.jpg

Photographed today in natural light

Ingredients (Serves 2)

For the beef:

250 g minced (ground) beef
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp minced garlic and ginger
3 Tbsp light soy sauce
3 spring onions (scallions) chopped into short lengths
2 Tbsps tomato puree
1 Tbsp hot paprika (not smoked)
1 Tsp sugar
3 chopped red chillies (I used mild chillies)
1 Tsp hot chilli powder
3 beetroot pickled eggs (recipe here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/14741/pickled-eggs-and-beetroot.aspx)

To serve:

Noodles cooked and tossed in a little sesame oil
Chopped spring onion and some lightly toasted white sesame seeds

Method

• Fry the minced (ground) beef in the oil until browned then add the minced garlic and ginger and fry gently for 5 minutes.
  • Add the soy sauce, tomato puree, paprika and chilli powder and cook gently for a few minutes.
  • Add a little water to form a thick sauce, then add the chillies, spring onions (scallions), sugar and salt to taste and cook slowly for 1/2 an hour.
  • Add the eggs and cook slowly for a further 10 minutes to heat them through.
  • Serve with cooked noodles tossed in a little sesame oil and sprinkle with chopped spring onion.

IMGP0356.jpg

Source?
"There are potential copyright issues otherwise..."
:laugh:. Its my own recipe! Photographed by me today. :happy: I'm no expert, but I think if you reproduce 'word for word' a description or method of cooking the ingredients from a published recipe or publish a photograph without crediting it, then you could be infringing copyright. Undoubtedly, cooking is about plagiarism, though! We learn bits and pieces from each other and develop new ideas.

I think its mainly a matter of etiquette though. If you are copying and pasting another person's recipe then surely you should provide the source (I know you always do! :D)?

In this recipe, all I've done is take some inspiration from other cuisines. Otherwise, I've given a source (for the pickled eggs).

Last edited:
This looks really good and sounds awesome. I am definitely going to be giving this recipe a try later this week. It is the type of meal that my husband and I would really like. Thanks for posting this!

:laugh:. Its my own recipe! Photographed by me today. :happy: I'm no expert, but I think if you reproduce 'word for word' a description or method of cooking the ingredients from a published recipe or publish a photograph without crediting it, then you could be infringing copyright. Undoubtedly, cooking is about plagiarism, though! We learn bits and pieces from each other and develop new ideas.

I think its mainly a matter of etiquette though. If you are copying and pasting another person's recipe then surely you should provide the source (I know you always do! :D)?

In this recipe, all I've done is take some inspiration from other cuisines. Otherwise, I've given a source (for the pickled eggs).

The photos are great. I love how you dyed the eggs. I always struggle with finding ingredients for other recipes because I live in China, luckily all those ingredients are in my kitchen. I will try this recipe out later this week. I am a bit confused about the eggs, did you skip pickling them with beetroot?

Yes, I like all the colors in this. The more colors you have on your plate the healthier the food is, so by the looks of this, I would say you have a very healthy dish there. I have never cooked anything Vietnamese in my life, but I went to a Vietnamese restaurant once, and the food was awesome. I would be willing to try to cook some sometime.

The photos are great. I love how you dyed the eggs. I always struggle with finding ingredients for other recipes because I live in China, luckily all those ingredients are in my kitchen. I will try this recipe out later this week. I am a bit confused about the eggs, did you skip pickling them with beetroot?
Well I have to agree with you here that the photo is great. That's the first thing that struck me. Then I took a look at the recipe and realized we had a recipe inside of a recipe - the beetroot pickled eggs. Will I make this next week? Maybe not but I can sure look at it all day and eventually I'll tackle it. All credit to @morning glory for creating an amazing dish.

Back
Top Bottom