Recipe Asparagus with Egg Fried in Brown Butter & Miso Tarragon Foam

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:15 PM
Making foams is great fun and much easier than some other ‘modernist cooking’ techniques. You will need lecithin powder and a stick blender. I managed to find some white miso which was nearly white in colour (a lot are more yellow or browny beige than white). The brown butter adds a nutty dimension which I think works well with the tangy miso and tarragon foam.

fullsizeoutput_4a8e.jpeg

Ingredients (quantity of foam serves 3 to 4)
Asparagus
Eggs
Butter
150ml almond milk
1/2 tsp cornflour
1 heaped teaspoon of white miso paste
1 tsp dried tarragon
1.5 g lecithin powder
Lemon zest

Method
  1. In a small bowl, mix a little of the almond milk with the cornflour.
  2. Gently heat the almond milk in a saucepan and add the cornflour (this stops the milk splitting)
  3. Add the tarragon, miso & lecithin to the warm milk (use a stick blender to mix it thoroughly)
  4. Allow the mixture to infuse for ten minutes then strain through a sieve into a wide, flat bottomed container.
  5. Using a stick blender, blitz the liquid until it creates a large amount of foam. The blender needs to be partially out of the liquid when blending to incorporate air. It takes about 3 to 5 mins of blending to create the foam. The foam should remain stable for a few hours.
  6. Poach the asparagus until tender in water
  7. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan and heat gently until it foams and begins to caramelise.
  8. Fry the eggs in the brown butter, basting the whites as they cook.
  9. Assemble the dish as shown, sprinkling a little lemon zest over the top.

fullsizeoutput_49d6.jpeg

Last edited:
Asparagus for breakfast...brilliant!

I see that the recipes you have in the works are starting to be completed. :)

It was brunch really - but yes I now have another 5 to type up. The problem is that I enjoy making the dishes, photographing and post production of photos - but typing up recipes from notes is a chore, So I put it off... and off!

It was brunch really - but yes I now have another 5 to type up. The problem is that I enjoy making the dishes, photographing and post production of photos - but typing up recipes from notes is a chore, So I put it off... and off!
You could save some, for the next challenge, and incorporate whatever the next ingredient is. But, then you’ll have another five recipes on top of what you don’t finish this time. :)

Back
Top Bottom