Recipe Asparagus with Honey Dill Mayonnaise, Hazelnut Crumb & Balsamic Reduction

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:00 AM
Honey dill mayonnaise is a Canadian favourite. This version is made with vegan mayonnaise, using aquafaba, the water from a can of chickpeas or white beans in place of the egg yolk. I used half edible mustard oil and half rapeseed oil which is why the mayonnaise is so yellow - but you can use any vegetable oil. Add honey to your taste - I prefer it to be not too sweet. The balsamic reduction provides a good counterpoint to the sweet, aniseed taste of the mayonnaise and the hazelnuts add texture and earthiness. To make the whole dish vegan replace the honey with maple syrup or other vegan alternative such as agave syrup.

Ingredients (serves 2 as a starter)
Cooked asparagus spears (enough for 2 people)
6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
50 ml chickpea or white bean water (aquafaba)
100 ml vegetable oil
100ml edible mustard oil
1 tbsp Fresh dill, roughly chopped
Honey, to taste
English mustard, to taste
Salt, to taste
6 - 8 hazelnuts
A few salt crystals (I used Turkish lemon salt)

1. To make the balsamic reduction, place the vinegar in a small saucepan and heat over a low heat until it is reduced by half and becomes thick and syrupy. Set aside and leave to cool.
  2. Place the chickpea water in a beaker and blend with a stick blender until if froths slightly. Alternatively you can use a bowl and electric whisk. Add the oil in a steady stream, blending as you go until it emulsifies.
  3. Mix in the dill and add honey and English mustard and salt, to taste.
  4. Toast the hazelnuts in a hot dry pan, being careful not to burn. Crush or chop them roughly.
  5. To serve, arrange the asparagus on the plate and sprinkle the crushed hazelnuts across the top in a line. place a few drops of balsamic around the plate. Add a few crystals of salt.

Last edited:
This is a vegan version, using aquafaba, the water from a can of chickpeas or white beans, to make the mayonnaise, I used half edible mustard oil and half rapeseed oil which is why the mayonnaise is so yellow - but you can use any vegetable oil. Add honey to your taste - I prefer it to be not too sweet
Vegetarian only. Honey isn't vegan. It's why I don't really like using it and why I've added a recipe using maple syrup not honey. It's the same with shellac and that red food coloring from beetle shell cases (that's not even vegetarian).

But it looks amazing and I think I'd like to try it (with maple syrup or brown rice bran syrup)

Honey dill mayonnaise is a Canadian favourite. This is a vegan version, using aquafaba, the water from a can of chickpeas or white beans, to make the mayonnaise, I used half edible mustard oil and half rapeseed oil which is why the mayonnaise is so yellow - but you can use any vegetable oil. Add honey to your taste - I prefer it to be not too sweet. The balsamic reduction provides a good counterpoint to the sweet, aniseed taste of the mayonnaise and the hazelnuts add texture and earthiness.

View attachment 32528

Ingredients (serves 2 as a starter)
Cooked asparagus spears (enough for 2 people)
6 tbsp balsamic vinegar
50 ml chickpea or white bean water (aquafaba)
100 ml vegetable oil
100ml edible mustard oil
1 tbsp Fresh dill, roughly chopped
Honey, to taste
English mustard, to taste
Salt, to taste
6 - 8 hazelnuts
A few salt crystals (I used Turkish lemon salt)

1. To make the balsamic reduction, place the vinegar in a small saucepan and heat over a low heat until it is reduced by half and becomes thick and syrupy. Set aside and leave to cool.
  2. Place the chickpea water in a beaker and blend with a stick blender until if froths slightly. Alternatively you can use a bowl and electric whisk. Add the oil in a steady stream, blending as you go until it emulsifies.
  3. Mix in the dill and add honey and English mustard and salt, to taste.
  4. Toast the hazelnuts in a hot dry pan, being careful not to burn. Crush or chop them roughly.
  5. To serve, arrange the asparagus on the plate and sprinkle the crushed hazelnuts across the top in a line. place a few drops of balsamic around the plate. Add a few crystals of salt.

View attachment 32529

Man that's the money shot, Mayo looks so yummy. Our asparagus which has been a disappointment since planting 3 or 4 years ago, just hasn't shown at all yet. I know it's up already at my friends house.

Russ

Vegetarian only. Honey isn't vegan. It's why I don't really like using it and why I've added a recipe using maple syrup not honey. It's the same with shellac and that red food coloring from beetle shell cases (that's not even vegetarian).

But it looks amazing and I think I'd like to try it (with maple syrup or brown rice bran syrup)

Yeah I've seen how shellac is made. Who would have thought beetles. Lol.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom