400g of cooked potatoes/ 2 or 3 medium sized potatoes
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon of butter, melted
60ml / ¼ cup of milk
1 heaped tablespoon of flour
½ teaspoon of paprika
Splash of olive oil

Method
Begin by slicing the streaky bacon into small strips, and then slice the cabbage into thin shreds. Place a splash of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the strips of bacon and fry until crisp. Take the cooked bacon from the pan and place it on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Then, place the shredded cabbage into the same frying pan as the bacon. Cook the cabbage in the leftover bacon fat over a medium heat. Cook it until tender and wilted. Once the cabbage is cooked, add the bacon back to pan with the cabbage. Mix together with a wooden spoon, taste and season.
Meanwhile cook the potatoes, and then mash using a potato ricer or masher. Add the milk and melted butter to the mashed potato. Mix well, and then add the bacon and cabbage. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Place the flour, some salt, pepper and the paprika on a large diner plate and mix together. Using your hands, form the potato into flat discs, then roll them in the seasoned flour. You should get about 8 to 10 potato cakes from this mixture. Heat another splash of olive oil in a large clean frying pan. Place the potato cakes on the pan and cook each side for a few minutes before turning over. They should be nice, golden and crisp on each side. Serve straight away with a fresh green salad.

http://stasty.com/?p=5730

Its a take on bubble and squeak. Cabbage always works with potato in a fried bubble 'n squeak 'patty'. A good dosh of brown sauce on this for me!

That looks really good. I just have one question...what is "streaky" bacon? I mean most bacon has streaks of fat in it.. I like one store we have here it
has lots of types of bacon. They may even have the "streaky" variety.

That looks really good. I just have one question...what is "streaky" bacon? I mean most bacon has streaks of fat in it.. I like one store we have here it
has lots of types of bacon. They may even have the "streaky" variety.
You will find that the bacon you are used to in America is what we call 'streaky' in the UK (although there might be differences in the way its cured). In supermarkets here we have lots of different types of streaky bacon: oak smoked, un-smoked, dry cured (meaning it doesn't exude liquid when cooked).
Streaky bacon looks like this:
streaky bacon.jpg

But we also have 'back bacon' which looks like this:
back bacon.jpg

Back
Top Bottom