I took a detour from my healthy eating to make this, but it was well worth it.
6 strips bacon (I used Boar's Head Maple Bacon)
1 pound brussels sprouts, shredded
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup milk
2 pieces sourdough bread, cut in chunks
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
salt to taste (it doesn't need much)
1. Cut bacon into chunks and render on medium heat in a large pot. Add onion and stir occasionally until softened. Stir in thyme for another minute.
2. Add brussels sprouts and stir to coat. Stir occasionally until softened.
3. Add stock, milk, and bread chunks and cook for a few minutes.
4. Working in batches, blend for maybe 15 seconds on low setting. You only want to incorporate the bread, but not create a puree.
5. Add cheddar and stir until incorporated. Heat for another few minutes, then serve.