Recipe Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Tarte Tatin

Elawin

Guru
Local time
10:09 AM
BLT Tarte Tatin.jpg

Prep. time: 35 minutes (including standing time)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients:

For the pastry:

125 g plain flour
½ tsp salt
100 g unsalted butter, diced
1 large egg, beaten

For the filling:

1 small bunch of thyme, leaves picked, or 1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
250 g cherry tomatoes
1 onion, sliced into rings
Lettuce leaves, sufficient to cover the filling in a double layer
4 rashers back bacon, rind and fat removed

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 200 C/180 fan/400 F/Gas mark 6.
  2. Combine the flour and salt in a small bowl, then cut in the butter with a knife until it is well incorporated. Add the beaten egg and mix until the mixture starts to come together. Form the mixture into a disc; cover and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Place the cherry tomatoes and the onion rings in a bowl with the balsamic vinegar and the thyme. Mix well and leave to stand for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then drain and reserve the liquid.
  4. Place the cherry tomatoes in the bottom of an 18 cm/8" oven-proof dish, followed by the onion rings, a double layer of lettuce, and finally the bacon.
  5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board to the size of the top of the ovenproof dish, then slide the pastry on top of the filling.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crust is lightly golden brown, then remove the dish from the oven and leave to stand for about ten minutes before inverting it on to a plate.
  7. Meanwhile warm the reserved liquid slightly.
  8. Remove the dish and serve the tarte with a little of the warmed balsamic vinegar and thyme.

That is the most succulent tarte tatin! Its so plump and lovely!
I saw a recipe online for a tomato tarte tatin. Although it also used cherry tomatoes, they had been squashed flat and had been browned. It did not look very appetising, hence my version. Besides, I had some bacon and some lettuce to use up :D

@MypinchofItaly Those cherry tomatoes were very sweet and very juicy!

I also have a slight confession to make. I enjoyed my BLT tarte tatin so much that, although it is supposed to be enough for two, I polished off both servings in one go :giggle:

Back
Top Bottom