Baked chicken

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
6:45 AM
This is a recipe I got from my day a long time ago and made it my own. (There is a Bisquick version of this as well).

I'm using chicken thighs for this, but any chicken pieces will do.

This recipe varies with how much you're making. I made 6 small-medium sized thigh pieces. If you have more/larger pieces, double recipe.

Use the appropriately sized baking dish to fit all pieces of chicken in. 8x8, 13x9 etc

For the coating, You can use any spices you like with chicken. This is what I chose to do this time. (I change it every time)

*Side note, I like to coat the chicken and let them set up for at least 30 minutes, to make sure the coating has nicely adhered to the chicken.

Pre-heat oven to 425 F. (218 C.)

Grab a big enough bag that won't rip easily.

1/4 AP flour (or Bisquick)
pinch of baking powder (skip if using Bisquick instead of flour)
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 Tbsp rosemary (I used fresh and chopped it myself)
1/2 tsp black pepper (I'm weird, so I toast my own peppercorns and put them in a grinder)
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp of tarragon
1/4 tsp cayenne

Mix in a bag, then add a few pieces at a time to shake and coat well.

Put 2 Tbsp butter in baking dish (or more for a bigger baking dish) and place in center rack of oven for a few minutes for the butter to melt and start heating up.

When melted, put chicken SKIN SIDE DOWN and bake for 10 minutes. After that, turn the chicken over and drop the oven down to 350 F. (176 C.) and bake for about another 10-20 minutes. Until the internal temperature is 165 F. (73 C.) in the thickest part of the piece, without touching the bone.

When it's finished, you can let it rest for a bit (5-10 minutes), or if you're me and are too impatient, then nom nom nom.
Baked Chicken_Bokeh.jpg

Sounds good.
(There is a Bisquick version of this as well).
I thought Bisquick was a milk-shake powder but then realised that was Nesquick! :laugh: We don't get Bisquick in the UK, you see...

1/2 tsp black pepper (I'm weird, so I toast my own peppercorns and put them in a grinder)

That's not weird that's Indian style - dry roasting and grinding spices really brings out their flavour. A great trick to use in your recipe.

Fun new avatar, BTW. :okay:

This is a recipe I got from my day a long time ago and made it my own. (There is a Bisquick version of this as well).

This recipe varies with how much you're making. I made 6 small-medium sized thigh pieces. If you have more/larger pieces, double recipe.

Use the appropriately sized baking dish to fit all pieces of chicken in. 8x8, 13x9 etc

For the coating, You can use any spices you like with chicken. This is what I chose to do this time. (I change it every time)

*Side note, I like to coat the chicken and let them set up for at least 30 minutes, to make sure the coating has nicely adhered to the chicken.

1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp of tarragon
1/4 tsp cayenne

Put 2 Tbsp butter in baking dish (or more for a bigger baking dish) and place in center rack of oven for a few minutes for the butter to melt and start heating up.

When melted, put chicken SKIN SIDE DOWN and bake for 10 minutes. After that, turn the chicken over and drop the oven down to 350 F. (176 C.) and bake for about another 10-20 minutes. Until the internal temperature is 165 F. (73 C.) in the thickest part of the piece, without touching the bone.

When it's finished, you can let it rest for a bit (5-10 minutes), or if you're me and are too impatient, then nom nom nom.
View attachment 16914

Those look delicious!

This also solves my chicken problem that I had from before. This chicken was amazing, regardless of the recipe. These thighs were so much better than the store brand and I got a 90% yield on them. I'm sticking with this brand from now on.

This also solves my chicken problem that I had from before. This chicken was amazing, regardless of the recipe. These thighs were so much better than the store brand and I got a 90% yield on them. I'm sticking with this brand from now on.

So - where did you source the chicken?

1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 Tbsp paprika
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp of tarragon
1/4 tsp cayenne

View attachment 16914

That looks so good!!!!:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom