Recipe Balsamic Caramelised Onion Hummus

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:13 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
We get through a lot of hummus in this household. If it is not hummus, it is often mashed chickpeas with a touch of oil and tahini added, not enough to class as hummus and not mashed enough to even be classed as chunky but just enough to hold the mixture together. So given we always purchase the same hummus which for some reason lacks garlic (it's a really nice low calorie hummus, so I'll forgive it) I am often adding flavours to it once a little has been used. Flavours vary from garlic, chilli, cayenne, ground coriander, ground cumin or any and all of the above, so it occurred to me that an onion flavoured hummus would not only give me something different for next week (I've already added flavours to this week's hummus) but would also give me a recipe for the current ingredient challenge (as I cook the French Onion Soup I have already entered).

So here it is, from this site (Once Upon A Cutting Board), as is. I haven't seen the need to alter anything. http://www.onceuponacuttingboard.com/2013/11/balsamic-caramelized-onion-hummus.html

hummus.jpg

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 medium yellow or sweet onions, thinly sliced
1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, divided
1 (540mL) can chickpeas
3 tablespoons reserved liquid from can of chickpeas
3 tablespoons tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Method:

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and stir to coat with oil. After about 5 minutes, season with a bit of salt. Spread onions out evenly across the pan and let cook, stirring about every 3-4 minutes, until softened, about 20-30 minutes total. In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add 1 teaspoon brown sugar and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, and stir to coat. Once they are caramelized to your liking, remove from pan. Save a small amount of onions to top the hummus later, if desired. Add the rest to the large bowl of a food processor.

Meanwhile, reserve about 3 tablespoons of liquid from the chickpea can and drain and rinse the rest of the chickpeas. Add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and let simmer until reduced to a thick, syrupy liquid, about 1-2 tablespoons worth. Remove from heat and set aside.

Add to the food processor the chickpeas, liquid from the chickpea can, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth. Adjust any ingredient amounts to your liking, if necessary.

I am guessing we have hummus around here but never have I had any. I find that I am not paying attention to caramelized onions as well. Was not in my cooking vocab until recently.

Back
Top Bottom