Recipe Banana, Bacon and Blue Cheese Tart

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:45 PM
I’m such a sucker for alliteration. Here, bananas melt into a sweet harmony with salty bacon and blue cheese. This is such a very easy and fast recipe to make. It serves two for a snack or even a light lunch if you add some salad.

fullsizeoutput_3d0a.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2 )
Ready rolled puff pastry (approximately 4 x 12 inches)
1 ripe banana
2 slices of streaky bacon
40g blue cheese (I used St Agur)
Fresh thyme
Chilli flakes (optional)

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180C
  2. Grill the bacon until almost crispy.
  3. Slice the banana diagonally into fairly thin pieces.
  4. Cut the bacon into similar sized pieces.
  5. Place the pastry on a baking sheet.
  6. Layer the banana and bacon on the pastry, leaving a small margin around the edge.
  7. Crumble the blue cheese around the bacon and banana.
  8. Bake for 25 mins.
  9. Sprinkle thyme leaves and chilli flakes over the top.
  10. Eat warm or at room temperature.
fullsizeoutput_3d19.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3d18.jpeg

Approx. 770 cals in the whole thing - a large percentage of which is pastry. So for half the tart it would be approx. 350 cals.

I cut it into 5 snack sized triangles so each piece shown above is approx. 154 cals.

I don't bother about calories, I have a very small appetite. For example, yesterday I made soup with two florets of cauliflower, two small potatoes, one banana shallot and a tablespoon of red lentils with a cup of stock. That will last me for at least another three days for lunch; breakfast is usually a fried egg on home-made flatbread (tiny).

How does it taste? It seems that the strong flavors (the tang of the blue cheese and the saltiness of the bacon) would blend nicely with the creaminess of the banana, muting the sweetness. I'd think that the chili flakes (or other source of spiciness) would be required, not optional, because of how it works with the other elements.

How does it taste? It seems that the strong flavors (the tang of the blue cheese and the saltiness of the bacon) would blend nicely with the creaminess of the banana, muting the sweetness. I'd think that the chili flakes (or other source of spiciness) would be required, not optional, because of how it works with the other elements.

Spot on really! The sweetness of the banana (not my favourite fruit) is tempered by the salty tang of bacon and blue cheese - the chillies add another dimension. Well - that is what I think...

Back
Top Bottom